Help to improve transition between BH and FH

Lots of good posts already. I completely agree with Carl here a Coach will be able to give you a few pointers to put you in the right direction.

As mention by many of the posts. Drills such as 2 backhands and 2 forehands are very good for this. On my level 3 course I went on at the weekend, England head coach Alan Cooke said to have a good transition from backhand to forehand you want to be relatively square to the table so you have quick recovery to your ready position. Look at the video below at 2 min and 55 seconds:

Watch how Tiago's feet position allow him to move quickly from backhand to forehand.

I think sometimes when players (right handed players in this case) play a lot of backhand especially on the forehand side they tend to have their right foot in front of their left. This makes it really difficult in a match to adjust quickly and play a forehand.

The other practice you could do is play practice matches where your opponent puts the ball directly to your forehand after you have played 1 backhand. If you play a backhand from the forehand side you will lose the point :)

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

thanks for your comment with so much detail i will really work on my stance and placing my right foot in front of my left is noted too and i will work on these points and thanks for the guidance

Reactions: Suga D
I agree with all above! I also think you should try to look more at the opponent and less at the ball. By doing so you can more easily anticipate where her/his shot is going.
Thanks for your comment. i understood that it is vital to read the body language and anticipate his shots.:cool:

i've been working a lot on BH FH transition with my coach

there is no miracle. (at least for me). i have improved a lot in what was a weak point of my game but it took a lot of time and a lot of (random) drilling and (random) multiball training. multiball is really the best exercise if you have some partner able to do it for you.

I have also learnt to shorten my BH stroke, improve my neutral position where i am trying to prepare in priority to play a BH for the next ball (because you have more time to react if the ball goes to the FH), that will help as well.

thanks for the comment. my backhand stroke is too much long too. so you suggest to prepare for play a backhand prior to incoming ball wouldn't it cause to wiggle if ball goes to FH? i just need to clarify this point. no offence friend. :eek:

This user has no status.
thanks for the comment. my backhand stroke is too much long too. so you suggest to prepare for play a backhand prior to incoming ball wouldn't it cause to wiggle if ball goes to FH? i just need to clarify this point. no offence friend. :eek:

exactly, i'm struggling with these multiballs, when i play a FH, get ready to play a BH, but next ball comes to FH again, then i'm a bit late for that FH, i prepare for the BH, then the ball comes again on the FH etc.... then the quality of my FH shot is going down , i may take it too late a bit behind me...

Still, by doing this drill, i still manage somehow to get the ball with a drive on the table, still much better than making a mistake !!!
and thats the whole point, improving your consistency which means not making a direct mistake and try to always keep the ball on the table. I'm not young anymore, I don't have my legs or stamina of a 20y old, so this is difficult and I can't expect without a lot more training to get to a more acceptable result.

Still I need to compare with where i come from, and being able to connect 10 or more random balls coming at a fast pace , a faster pace than what will come in matches at my level, is helping a lot to improve my consistency in match. Its difficult for my opponents to force a direct error or put me out of position in a rally if they don't use their best shots.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try these things.
Have less forehand feet. The sport is soo fast nowadays so its favors backhand feet. A big different between forehand and backhand feet Will make the change slower.

Have the elbow more infront of the body. This Will also make the change faster.

Look at your opponent. This Will make it easier to see where the block is going and it makes you faster.

Try to practise easy one backhand and one forehand drills.

Good luck!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The part about seeing opponent's feet and playing accordingly is a higher level skill nearly every player needs to strengthen IMO.

How? There’s the table top, the table carriage (cladded, sometimes) obscuring the view, no? Or do you mean, read the oppo’s movement, momentum, orientation, balance, poise?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Unless their knees and ankles are seriously disjointed, one can infer position the feet position by seeing the shoulders, arms, hips and upper legs.

EDIT: Der_Echte is needing improvement at this and other aspects of tt just as much as the next player.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
thanks for the reply man.

Sorry guys. It seems you guys have been fooled over and over again. This is a spammer and may be a bot. Starkcasey has necromanced several old threads and nobody has noticed. And as soon as he/she/it was able to post links, it was posting links to body building, fitness sites. The links were contained in words of quotes from others. As though he didn't make the link.

So many of you responded to these threads as though they were live and not old dead threads. Kind of entertaining. You guys need to look at the dates of posts and threads better. Also, when comments do not fit the context of a thread, it is a giveaway. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Or you see links in the signature/message body that point to stuff that has nothing to do with TT. :rolleyes:

It is interesting. This bot was hiding the links. His first link was in a quote from you, pgpg. And it took a random word in a sentence and turned it into the link. And, exactly as you said, the link was to something entirely unrelated to TT and entirely about getting people to the site and hoping people would buy the product.

Reactions: ttmonster
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I am Nomad. I am perfect. That which is not perfect must be destroyed. Beep. Zzork.