How did you decide Chinese versus Tensor rubber on FH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
You are a smart man. That said, there are good reasons to move to a faster blade when you have consistent technique. They may or may not apply to you in the future and one of them is that you may need to counter/block faster with short strokes if you play certain styles.

that's interesting, one of my playing partners/teachers is about 2100, and used to be top 20 in the US in the 70's. still never left and all wood paddle and puts more spin on the ball than any higher rated player that I've played against. I figure if he (almost 60 years old now) is still able to play that well with his all+, off- wood blades why should i need carbon myself.

He hates carbon because he loses too much from it. Never has had an issue with generating speed and the sweet spot would actually mess with his game. He has explained to me a few times the way he generates less spin is with the same stroke but contacting it closer to the edge of the paddle instead of the middle. if he went to carbon and got a bigger sweet spot this strategy wouldnt work for him anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
that's interesting, one of my playing partners/teachers is about 2100, and used to be top 20 in the US in the 70's. still never left and all wood paddle and puts more spin on the ball than any higher rated player that I've played against. I figure if he (almost 60 years old now) is still able to play that well with his all+, off- wood blades why should i need carbon myself.

He hates carbon because he loses too much from it. Never has had an issue with generating speed and the sweet spot would actually mess with his game. He has explained to me a few times the way he generates less spin is with the same stroke but contacting it closer to the edge of the paddle instead of the middle. if he went to carbon and got a bigger sweet spot this strategy wouldnt work for him anymore.

Spin largely comes from contact depth and the rubber. But blocking/hitting speed comes from the blade (well, the rubber as well, but more from the blade). Your older friend would probably be outpaced in rallies if his spin doesn't win the point. That is neither here nor there at that age, but is just the nature of reality.

There are many top players who use all wood blades, Xu Xin currently the most notorious/famous, so I am not saying that you need a carbon blade. As always, it all depends on how you play and not everyone wants to be looping all the time - some people want the ability to move you and block you out of position with quick counters.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
This thread is very good, And not because I start it (haha). We could copy and paste it everywhere on internet where people ask for paddle advice and it make the sport better for everyone. Really excellent advise here that allow people to focus on the game and not worry about their blade and rubber.

Reactions: sspark80 and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
it was partly a joke. the real reason ill never move to a fast blade is because my favorite part of the game is honestly feeling the ball on a good shot. when i use a fast blade that feeling goes numb and i cant feel it anymore. it ruins the fun of the game for me

I love this quote. That is my favorite thing about playing as well is the feeling of the ball on the blade face and rubber.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I love this quote. That is my favorite thing about playing as well is the feeling of the ball on the blade face and rubber.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

My favorite thing is the addictive rhythm of the bouncing ball in an exchange rally.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I didn't decide for myself. I first began to play in Sweden, using Yasaka rubbers (because that was what people mostly used there back on those days), and have used German and Japanese rubbers ever since. To me, Chinese rubbers feel like they were made for a different sport.

Whatever you learn with feels pretty comfortable and your stroke evolves based on the rubber. I look at Chinese players and how they use that stuff and know it has to be really good, but for me Chinese rubbers are unplayable.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Of course there is more to it, but I still have a day job.

I think I will write an article on the benefits of slower blades and then just link to it whenever this issue comes up.

That would be a long article. You did say article. Or did you say novel?

But it is true, I feel like I write these things so many times. If it was just already written and you just pressed a button to give the same info again it would save so much time.

Apart from "feeling" difference between tensor and dhs hurricane 3 neo(the latter feels less elastic to me), I can't at my level, see any other difference when looping. Blocking is just ~15% less successful because i haven't fully adjusted and my short game like service returns etc are spinnier and more consistent but this could also be just the extra training since changing. From my experience from changing I don't see enough evidence to justify the separation i read about.

???????? ??? ?? SM-G355HN ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Apart from "feeling" difference between tensor and dhs hurricane 3 neo(the latter feels less elastic to me), I can't at my level, see any other difference when looping. Blocking is just ~15% less successful because i haven't fully adjusted and my short game like service returns etc are spinnier and more consistent but this could also be just the extra training since changing. From my experience from changing I don't see enough evidence to justify the separation i read about.

???????? ??? ?? SM-G355HN ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk

Your level may be higher than mine but a few comments.

A Hurricane Neo is a special class of Chinese rubber with European features. It is still Chinese but it is different enough from the basic tacky hard sponged Hurricane offerings some think of - the sponge here is more dynamic. Of course, Neo is closer to what the CNT use so some people argue that the CNT rubbers are not really tacky, just mildly so.

Even with that, all the differences you noted are real and substantial as the playing level improves. The lower speed makes larger strokes easier to control close to the table. The difference in speed is less substantial on topspin strokes than it is on flat strokes because of the tackiness. Tack makes it easier to play powerful strokes on incoming spin/speed close to the table. Also there is relatively less catapult compared to the top end European rubbers and this results in more control, though the player has to accept the responsibility to take large and powerful strokes to generate speed. You can't get speed playing like Timo Boll with a Chinese rubber.

Last edited:
Your level may be higher than mine but a few comments.

A Hurricane Neo is a special class of Chinese rubber with European features. It is still Chinese but it is different enough from the basic tacky hard sponged Hurricane offerings some think of - the sponge here is more dynamic. Of course, Neo is closer to what the CNT use so some people argue that the CNT rubbers are not really tacky, just mildly so.

Even with that, all the differences you noted are real and substantial as the playing level improves. The lower speed makes larger strokes easier to control close to the table. The difference in speed is less substantial on topspin strokes than it is on flat strokes because of the tackiness. Tack makes it easier to play powerful strokes on incoming spin/speed close to the table. Also there is relatively less catapult compared to the top end European rubbers and this results in more control, though the player has to accept the responsibility to take large and powerful strokes to generate speed. You can't get speed playing like Timo Boll with a Chinese rubber.
First of all, it is so weird to have those national version H3 rubbers. I don't understand, if DHS has such a balanced rubber why they don't put it on the market with a competitive price ? I bet they would dominate the market...
I see the reason people arguing that the CNT rubbers are not really tacky, just mildly so, because, how a mildly tacky rubber, at not extremely humid environment would loose traction on a ball that light? There is no point for extra grip if the rubber is just enough grippy that ball won't slip. But I cant prove anything :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I didn't decide for myself. I first began to play in Sweden, using Yasaka rubbers (because that was what people mostly used there back on those days), and have used German and Japanese rubbers ever since. To me, Chinese rubbers feel like they were made for a different sport.

Whatever you learn with feels pretty comfortable and your stroke evolves based on the rubber. I look at Chinese players and how they use that stuff and know it has to be really good, but for me Chinese rubbers are unplayable.

Looks as if i have to quote myself :/

I grew up using pf4 (cause it was much cheaper than other rubbers) but only played half arm loop with it to that time. It didn't work well, so my coach made me use sriver and tackiness. I switched to magic carbon and markV and back to sriver till i stopped playing.
So when i returned to the sport i first started with slow tensors, but playing with a friends racket with both sides 729 made me feel like coming home. And after a couple of months of multiball practice the full arm became feeling natural. But i didn't replace my 'old' stroke completely. It was rather an addition to my repertoire. So sometimes there is a time for half arm stroke, sometimes for a full arm. ;)
And i must say the effort has been totally worth it. Opponents really don't seem to like when i do it. Quite a few misjudge the spin and punchblock holes in the air...
;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl