Is Zhang Jike lacking motivation?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
As we have seen ZJK did not play the China Harmony Open this year for no known reason. ZJK only seems to perform to his best ability when it is a major tournament like the WTTC or the Olympics. ZJK, to me, seems like he is lacking motivation. ZJK has given up in recent games and just seems to give an excuse of injury when looking in a losing position. ZJK also seems quite arrogant in the way he does not seem to try as much as he did when he won the WTTC in Rotterdam. I loved the way ZJK played at Rotterdam he was close to my favourite player, but now he seems to lack motivation, resilience and his hardworking sprit that he used to have when he won the WTTC in Rotterdam. ZJK was banging bombs past players but, now he just seems to need to win instead of wanting to win. I think ZJK has a very strong chance of winning the Chinese National Games because it is a major tournament he will be buzzing like a bee and he will want win instead of needing to win. For me I think it will be a ML and ZJK final. ML may crack under pressure and ZJK will be ready and wanting to win.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I think ZJK didn't play in Harmony open because he didn't want to face Ma Long. In Super League he didn't play against ML too because he have find the right tactics against him. The tactics that he used against him in final of Kuwait Open : going BH to BH with ML and win the point or serve in ML's forehand and attack the return of it or return ML's serve short in his FH and attack the next ball.
Don't forget that only major tournaments are important in a top player career. If he needs to win a tournament he will win it. For example he needs to be ranked after 2015 WTTC #1 or #2 in world ranking to qualify for men's singles in 2016 Olympics and i expect him to play good in the pro tours leading to WTTC because he knows he have to get his rank high enough for Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Yes a top player needs to win major tournaments like the WTTC and the Olympics but ZJK doesn't seem to want to win the World tour tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Because he doesn't need to win them. He is reach and he proved that he is the best so he doesn't need to win pro tours.
To me, this attitude is arrogant and not the attitude I would expect from 2 times World Champion and 1 time Olympic Champion. This is why my liking to ZJK has fallen. Not the kind of player I would follow. He doesn't seem to have the same fighting spirit I loved about his game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Zhang Jike is the kind of guy who is very confident. He is not interested in winning any smaller tournaments, because he already has the major titles. What more could he want? However, when he plays tournaments like the WTTC, World Cup, Olympics, he is on fire. Remember that slump earlier this year? Zhang Jike performed very poorly and everyone lost faith in him, but then he suddenly won the WTTC again. Just you wait. He will get another grand slam without a doubt.

Last edited: