Who do you think will win the Japan Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fang Bo

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Boll plays Lin Gaoyuan, then Lee Sangsu, then Jun Mizutani, then Fan Zhendong and then Ma Long :rolleyes: World Cup 2005 let's go! :D :D :D

Not very likely, that scenario, but then again, Boll has adapted well and has an excellent track record in exceeding expectations. To see him spark once more this late in his career would be magnificent indeed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Anybody knows why Dima is not playing here ? I am waiting eagerly for a rematch between Dima and FZD .

The schedule is really tight right now, first the WTTC, then he played russian finals, this weekend Japan Open and next weekend China Open. I assume he is just taking some time off and focusing on China Open.

Reactions: BeGo and shat1478
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When your record against someone on the world tour is 1-10, every victory counts and is better than a defeat.

agreed but the wttc loss is still fresh and even if FZD sweeps ML I dont think it will mean much to him, a a boost of confidence but nothing more in the long run. i hope ML still has some fuel to play well in japan open after such a final

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
agreed but the wttc loss is still fresh and even if FZD sweeps ML I dont think it will mean much to him, a a boost of confidence but nothing more in the long run. i hope ML still has some fuel to play well in japan open after such a final

If you have ever beaten someone you always lose to when it counts, you know that is not how it works. Even the ones that didn't count, you will pretend to others that they don't count, but you know what it really meant to you. And this one counts. It is not WTTC but it counts. If it didn't, Ma Long would not go out of his way to win so many.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think now it's important to Ma Long to win this one, or at least to don't let FZD win. It's so close to the WTTC final, which was a very close game. If ML wins here again, he stabilise his No.1 title. However if FZD wins it brings the message that ML won the WTTC, but this might be his last big title. So I think the china open will has a smaller impact on their psyche.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I don't think that the recent WTTC have any influence on the value of Japan Open, China Open or any other major event in the near future. Some players might be a bit more exhausted in Japan due to WTTC, others might be relieved again but that is it. It is a major event like it was last year or the year before. I would not interpret too much there.

Of course Ma Long, Fan Zhendong etc are looking forward to winning this tournament like usual, regardless of the recent events. If FZD wins he will be happy for sure and Ma Long will be disappointed even if he is World Champion, that does not matter. They are professional players, winning is their business.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
If you have ever beaten someone you always lose to when it counts, you know that is not how it works. Even the ones that didn't count, you will pretend to others that they don't count, but you know what it really meant to you. And this one counts. It is not WTTC but it counts. If it didn't, Ma Long would not go out of his way to win so many.

From the psychological POV , I ve beaten a top 50 player (greek ranking) in greece but I dont think he was serious enough about it and didnt care. Now he didnt beat till that me like 10-0 i just know he is a better player and he knows it also and I I felt just happy with my performance not because I won against him

I lost some practice matches and official matches to much worse players cause i played badly and I knew it and they knew it so its not always about ego or how you feel compared to the other player who you normally beat 3-0 but I get your point it will feel good for FZD but in the end its too early to be of any significant importance

ML took the title that matters the most and the hardest tournament of all facing tougher competition than any other tournament he won. I think FZD does not even need to look at head to head because he also has some wins in CSTTL , he won in trials so he also knows pretty well that now its just a matter of evolving faster than ML through the years and adapting early to his tactics

Anyway its not only ML his "problem", I believe LJK LGY can also beat him in the big stage, probably LDS

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Are you saying if ML did not win this Japan Open, he will not win any more "big title" after winning a World Champion 10 days ago? Do you know the fact that ML has never won any singles title in Japan Open despite of 5 attempts? And how come is Japan Open considered something "big" ... CNT did not send top players to play Japan Open from 2009 to 2014 and Japan Open will not be Platinum any more next year.

I think now it's important to Ma Long to win this one, or at least to don't let FZD win. It's so close to the WTTC final, which was a very close game. If ML wins here again, he stabilise his No.1 title. However if FZD wins it brings the message that ML won the WTTC, but this might be his last big title. So I think the china open will has a smaller impact on their psyche.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Are you saying if ML did not win this Japan Open, he will not win any more "big title" after winning a World Champion 10 days ago? Do you know the fact that ML has never won any singles title in Japan Open despite of 5 attempts? And how come is Japan Open considered something "big" ... CNT did not send top players to play Japan Open from 2009 to 2014 and Japan Open is not Platinum any more next year.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 7.31.33.jpg

where have you got this info about the Japan Open losing its status next year?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Check ITTF website. Japan Open no longer Platinum in 2018
http://www.ittf.com/2017-ittf-world-tour/events/__trashed-2/
[h=2]Seamaster 2018 World Tour Platinum[/h]
  • Qatar Open, Doha: 8-11 March
  • German Open, Bremen: 23-25 March
  • China Open, Shenzhen: 31 May – 3 June
  • Korean Open, Incheon: 19-22 July
  • Austrian Open, Linz: 4-7 October
  • Australian Open, Gold Coast: 8-11 November
[h=2]Seamaster 2018 World Tour[/h]
  • Hungarian Open, Budapest: 18-21 January
  • Hong Kong Open, Hong Kong: 24-27 May
  • Japan Open, Fukuoka: 7-10 June
  • Bulgaria Open, Panagyurishte: 17-19 August
  • Czech Open, Olomouc: 23-26 August
  • Swedish Open, Stockholm: 1-4 November
[h=2]Seamaster 2018 World Tour Grand Finals[/h]
  • World Tour Grand Finals
View attachment 13519

where have you got this info about the Japan Open losing its status next year?