Who do you think will win the Japan Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fang Bo

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
China's up and coming women's players are doing quite well, only Chen XingTong and Yuan XieJiao out so far, and they've knocked out Doo HoiKem, Li Jie, Kasumi Ishikawa, and Feng TianWei. Albeit they have fielded quite a large group.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
UEDA Jin upsets CHUANG Chih-Yuan 4-2. well not really a surprise, UEDA is one of the most under-rated players in Japan. He doesn't go out much, but he won many tournaments in Japan against all the best players, including MIZUTANI (for example top12 this year, he also had a very good fight in the national championships if my memory is correct).

UEDA's serve and receive game is very good. He also won a Challenger ITTF this year. I wonder how he will perform against the Chinese

He beat Wang Chuqin, who might not be the CNT's best, but still a very talented player, who is capable beating any of the top 10 players in good form.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Check ITTF website. Japan Open no longer Platinum in 2018
http://www.ittf.com/2017-ittf-world-tour/events/__trashed-2/
Seamaster 2018 World Tour Platinum

• Qatar Open, Doha: 8-11 March
  • German Open, Bremen: 23-25 March
  • China Open, Shenzhen: 31 May – 3 June
  • Korean Open, Incheon: 19-22 July
  • Austrian Open, Linz: 4-7 October
  • Australian Open, Gold Coast: 8-11 November
Seamaster 2018 World Tour

• Hungarian Open, Budapest: 18-21 January
  • Hong Kong Open, Hong Kong: 24-27 May
  • Japan Open, Fukuoka: 7-10 June
  • Bulgaria Open, Panagyurishte: 17-19 August
  • Czech Open, Olomouc: 23-26 August
  • Swedish Open, Stockholm: 1-4 November
Seamaster 2018 World Tour Grand Finals

• World Tour Grand Finals

Prestige and difficutly of a tournament has nothing to do with what ITTF announces, these tours are funded by sponsors and have certain criteria according to previous "top player" attendance, number of spectators etc etc

Players define a tournament (at least for me), austria open slovenia open and danish/english open were always of low attendance and viewership untill, ma lin, wang liqin, zjk ma long XX started attending for 2-3 years so imho that is what makes a tournament prestigious

A german open is not the same , as the grand finals, if most of the top 20 players dont attend and that happened several times in the past 10-15 years

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Prestige and difficutly of a tournament has nothing to do with what ITTF announces, these tours are funded by sponsors and have certain criteria according to previous "top player" attendance, number of spectators etc etc

Players define a tournament (at least for me), austria open slovenia open and danish/english open were always of low attendance and viewership untill, ma lin, wang liqin, zjk ma long XX started attending for 2-3 years so imho that is what makes a tournament prestigious

A german open is not the same , as the grand finals, if most of the top 20 players dont attend and that happened several times in the past 10-15 years

Whatever the explanation, it makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter the explanation, everything I think of falls apart when considering Japan's current TT status and the 2020 Olympics.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For the doubles, they should have an automatic rule that when a country is to face itself in the Semis, they should end the semis and do a group of 4 round robin for the title, best of 3, all play all, games are to 15 with two serves rule. Automatic rule only applied to situations like Japan 2017 semis - I feel like I am being cheated out of at least 3 good matches with the current semis and finals.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Whatever the explanation, it makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter the explanation, everything I think of falls apart when considering Japan's current TT status and the 2020 Olympics.

Actually, it never even crossed my mind when I was writing this post but ur absolutely right, tt grows slowly and ITTF should at least make serious efforts to promote even more in olympic host countries, japan open always has spectators and its somehow ridiculous to have 30 rich arabs watching the qatar open with top players and japan being in a lower tier in the world tours