My Version of Brett Clarke Serves

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As NextLevel and I know, some of the best serve, serve deception and serve tactics of forum members are the serves of Der_Echte. I would like to see Der_Echte doing a Der_Echte serve video. Then I would like to see the video where NextLevel emulates the Der_Echte serves.

Hahaha.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

I saw NL for an 1.5-2 hours on his recent trip to our nation's capitol. Next Level doesn't need Der_Echte's approach or concepts to serving. NL certainly ALREADY has them and executes them to a HIGH degree of success. When you boil it down, it is only that Der_Echte uses both the fluidity of a consistent short serve motion and consistent swing speed to SETUP my deception. Yes, the after motions help a lot too (THANKS Bogeyhunter !! You Nexy CEO), but the difference is in the wrist. NL uses his change of impact point and fluidity of motion for his success, I use my wrist change and after motion to really sell it.

If you can keep the swing speed (the lower arm portion) constant or close to constant, OR make the acceleration look the same, (regardless of final speed at impact) you can vary (usually faster acceleration on a VERY short distance) with the wrist and it makes ALL the difference. It takes a real loose grip, timing, and responsive quick SHORT twitch to get the wrist to move from 20 to 100 in the span of a few CM.

Many people mistake that it takes some LARGE motion to get a fast bat, but it really only take relaxation of muscles and timing/feel + a very simple concept. The WHIP explanation as made famous by Crazy Coach Brett (the two Cs make his moniker) doesn't take a full meter to happen, it can happen effectively in a very short distance. All you need is some motion and something to stop, while naturally another part goes forward - and THERE is where you add your acceleration. You can get massive bat speed with an effective whip, there is more than one way to make an effective whip, but the same concepts apply.

Elite amature players do this as a second nature and do not think about it. They just think in their mind what they want to do tactically for a serve, visualize it, and do it without over-thinking it. They already know how to make it work. I got a LONG way to go to get to that level of serving, will still need years of practice to get to that level.

So to sum it up, to make deception, one can use the basic methods to deceive a receiver on a clean legal serve.

- Use serve motion to confuse receiver on impact point (and spin/pace landing location/depth)

- Use an after motion (or wrist pressure at impact - this is the negative acceleration) to confuse receiver at impact or immediately after impact

- Use the short wrist acceleration change (in a VERY short distance) with a smooth serve motion.

The serves that make me the most money in a match AFTER I establish that my underspin serve is heavy, (you are training them to open their bat more and fear underspin as they net it) are a DEAD NO SPIN serve and a medium to medium heavy SLOW and short underspin serve that LOOKS dead or very light.

- No Spin serve you open bat some more at impact and stop your wrist acceleration by having a firmer grip at impact or you find a way to delay your acceleration until immediately AFTER impact. You can double/triple fool someone with different after motions if they catch on.

- Medium to medium heavy short underspin, you use a SLOW arm speed, but right at impact, you are relaxed and have just stopped your upper arm to give you an anchor, for whip leverage (the elbow) and right at impact you accelerate the wrist for maybe 2 cm. The distance of wirst movement is so slight or imperceptable (if it is smooth) that the receiver reads the ball as very light - he sees some underspin and thinks it is light. The follow through of a smooth and slow lower arm adds to the selling of the serve that it is light.

Many players return my dead serve long and/or high - it is a ripe ball for a pwoer loop to nail and flex/kiss bicep afterwards.

Many players return my medium yet light spin-looking serve into the net by trying to bump it short or low. They look at their bat while I snicker like Muttley the dog from Wacky Racers.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A high level coach told me that when you want to serve, most of your focus should be on where the first bounce is on the other side. What it makes you realize is that you can serve topspin short if you get the first bounce on your side closer to your end line. So for me, most serves, both long and short, should have a first bounce closer to your end line on your side so that the first bounce on the opponents side is closer to the net. Otherwise it is much harder to serve and disguise short topspin.

Many players serve the first ball closer to the net and this works when you are serving very short or serving short backspin. I used to do that too, but I realized I could never serve sgirt topspin until I fixed the way I thought about it.

Next Level makes a GREAT point about the point of first bounce on your side.

Punit coaches on the internet will say that to serve short, you need to have your target area as close to the net as possible. You can only make the "Ghost" serve with such a landing spot and that serve is high, OR you make a short serve so short it opens up too many wide angles for receive.

My target landing spot center is somehwere just past center depth of the table halfway on my side serving from BH corner FH pendulum serve. Imagine drawing a fat oval +/- 5 cm to front/rear and 10 cm to either side of that center point. That is my target area. if i land it there, I have the best chance to keep it low and double bounce it near endline. I adjust deeper or more shallow to adjust my desired point of second bounce.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
On my short or half-long topspin serve, I am not really thinking too much on my landing spot on my side. I am trying to relax and get the impact timing right. My way of making a short or halflong topspin/corkscrew serve requires very precise timing and impact. If I can get the landing psot right on my end - then great. The first priority is to make that change of pace/spin serve actually land and surprise the receiver and have it low enough to discourage attacking or make attacking low percentage. Getting the thing to double bounce is only gravy on the mashed potatoes.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another way to vary your serve, ESPECIALLY when an opponent (like NL) is getting used to the serve is to change grip pressure (firmer and less acceleration and more solid contact) at impact to make it dead or damned close.

In the previous NYC adventure (2.0 or 3.0 ???) at NYISC where we had nearly the whole TTD gang to discourage the Goon Squad from trying to breakup our fun, I had a match vs NL. It went like NL described, with both of us losing points directly on serve receive, or giving up 3rd ball chances.

I was up 2-1 and had match point. NL was slowly getting used to the short topspin ball that he was always popping up and getting krush-killed on... he was beginning to get it back low and at my pocket.

So... I did the same short topspin serve he was used to, but took away all the spin with my grip pressure at impact and still followed through as normal. I got him to attack into the net to end the match. If somehow he got duece and won that game, he coulda won the next game and match by a large margin if I didn't adapt.

Those are some tactical things to consider as a match goes on and the opponent is adjusting to your best serves.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I saw NL for an 1.5-2 hours on his recent trip to our nation's capitol. Next Level doesn't need Der_Echte's approach or concepts to serving. NL certainly ALREADY has them and executes them to a HIGH degree of success. When you boil it down, it is only that Der_Echte uses both the fluidity of a consistent short serve motion and consistent swing speed to SETUP my deception. Yes, the after motions help a lot too (THANKS Bogeyhunter !! You Nexy CEO), but the difference is in the wrist. NL uses his change of impact point and fluidity of motion for his success, I use my wrist change and after motion to really sell it.

If you can keep the swing speed (the lower arm portion) constant or close to constant, OR make the acceleration look the same, (regardless of final speed at impact) you can vary (usually faster acceleration on a VERY short distance) with the wrist and it makes ALL the difference. It takes a real loose grip, timing, and responsive quick SHORT twitch to get the wrist to move from 20 to 100 in the span of a few CM.

Carl is asking for the emulation because I am a coach. So he knows I will decode all your secrets so that hardworking readers/viewers can figure them out ;).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
They look at their bat while I snicker like Muttley the dog from Wacky Racers.

I almost feel like they created this character for you Der_. I did always get a laugh out of him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, this is some awesome comments on serving. And one of the nice details is how spin itself is not always as important as variations and deception with the variations.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Some players use your spin against you. This is one of the underestimated aspects of table tennis at the lower levels. Sometimes, you have to scrub it so that you get less of your own spin coming back at you. And when you can make it look like you haven't scrubbed anything, some players wonder what changed and don't adapt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Or for the not so hardworking ones :p

Brett has done a lot of stuff to simplify serving. That will not replace the hours you need to put in to develop good serves. DerEchte will tell you the hours he put in . Mine are at least 4 years, maybe with more focused in the last year and a half. I can't count the number of hours I have spent serving on my living room floor., before and after working with Brett. Even if I give details, it takes work to do serves and some people just don't have the temperament for it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl is asking for the emulation because I am a coach. So he knows I will decode all your secrets so that hardworking readers/viewers can figure them out ;).

My serves are NOT secrets at all. I just use a different approach (wrist pressure and follow through) that a lot of others haven't discovered yet. My serves are real basic stuff. The only advanced thing about them is the timing and touch... and even that can be acquired through some hard work and learning a few concepts.

There isn't any double top secret stuff involved.

I will say this in support of NL's post from way back in the thread. If you see NL and DE in a match, like NL sez, it looks like a lot of messing up on serve receive, but it really just a great job by both on serve and an indication of where their serve games are in relation to their receive games.

No decoding needed, just a little learning, a little change in technique and attitude, and a lot of practice.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Brett has done a lot of stuff to simplify serving. That will not replace the hours you need to put in to develop good serves. DerEchte will tell you the hours he put in . Mine are at least 4 years, maybe with more focused in the last year and a half. I can't count the number of hours I have spent serving on my living room floor., before and after working with Brett. Even if I give details, it takes work to do serves and some people just don't have the temperament for it.

A very lucid explanation of the amount of work it can take. Some are slower or faster to learn than others and some are naturals.

I assure you all, Next Level and Der_Echte are certainly NOT naturals. It took us both a LOT of work, likely SEVERAL times more work then the better players and they sure did put in a lot of work.

Tonite, I shall lift a bottle of Julius ECHTER in tribute.

Echter Beer 1.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Monster, this is actually a dish I have entered in our Church's "Chef of Korean UMC" contest for tomorrow. I was simply dog-hungry had to make a separate two pans for myself. I have another pan with 10 enchiladas waiting to bake just before the contest kicks off. They invested a lot of money in the prizes, so I'm gunna get something outta it. No one is gunna out-do me tomorrow, but maybe someone with enough money can rig the voting in their favor.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I did some work trying to mimic DerEchte's serves today. The footage shall remain hidden from the Goon squad, but I think someone who watches these videos carefully and thoughfully will see what is happening on the backspin and topspin serves. DerEchte doesn't so much serve a pendulum as he serves a short version of these with pendulum and not reverse sidespin. I will build serves with a regular shakehand grip using these principles as a guide so that I can have something different to throw at people out of the pendulum position.