Pain in my forearm

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
With pehhold you use your fingers a lot. A lot of penhold players tell me their hands hurt at a certain point when they are playing. The muscles that move your fingers are all in your forearm.

With the backhand you are using the forearm muscles wither you are doing shakehand backhand or RPBackhand. So adding the work from your forearms that you are using to hold the racket with your fingers, to the work that your forehand does for the stroke could cause that. It might just be a matter of time with the muscles getting stronger and getting used to the way you are using them. But you should look up some stretches for your forearm, and for tennis elbow because those stretches will help keep you from getting something like carpel tunnel syndrome or tennis elbow from using those muscles too much.

So, more strength for those muscles, and make sure you stretch your forearms.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
With pehhold you use your fingers a lot. A lot of penhold players tell me their hands hurt at a certain point when they are playing. The muscles that move your fingers are all in your forearm.

With the backhand you are using the forearm muscles wither you are doing shakehand backhand or RPBackhand. So adding the work from your forearms that you are using to hold the racket with your fingers, to the work that your forehand does for the stroke could cause that. It might just be a matter of time with the muscles getting stronger and getting used to the way you are using them. But you should look up some stretches for your forearm, and for tennis elbow because those stretches will help keep you from getting something like carpel tunnel syndrome or tennis elbow from using those muscles too much.

So, more strength for those muscles, and make sure you stretch your forearms.

Totally agree with Carl. I use to experience forearm aches. Sometimes to a point I couldn't play. So I rested for a few weeks and did various physio stretrches on my forearms and wrist. Stick to what Carl says and you'll be fine :)

If the problem persists I would see a physio therapist, or even a coach to look at your technique. Maybe you could upload a video to youtube and post the link here for us to see your backhand :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the problem persists I would see a physio therapist, or even a coach to look at your technique. Maybe you could upload a video to youtube and post the link here for us to see your backhand :)

Excellent additional information. :)

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
it also helps having correct grip and presure the wrong grip will lead to serious pain/spasm. feels kida like your tendons are being ripped. happened to me a few times. not pleasant at all.

also could be that you are stressing the muscle like a physical exercise/lifting weights ( this would usualy happen after training, next day) it jsut helps to eat properly and hydrate well)