Producing side underspin on the chiquita

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't know if anyone has seen it, but the guy replied to someone's comment asking about this.

View attachment 26017
Its a great find richie .. and bolsters some of the arguments here .. however I am inclined to trust the auto translate on the video or rather videos ( there is 2nd one where they are calling this nomuta instead of chiquita or something ) . Thee reason is simply because its hard to make any logical sense of the comment... the questioner asks is it really underspin or mostly side spin .. meaning he or she thinks it is side under and asking which is the dominant component .. in any banana flick there is a lot of side spin involved no question ... but the response is self contradictory .. it first says its strong sidespin and then goes on to say if you think its sidespin then you will miss ... so it is sidespin but you cannot return it thinking it is side spin ? does that make sense to you ...

one can say it is sides spin but a different sidespin than what one is led to believe .. that might make some sense .. but not what WRM is saying ... I would rather cross reference to the 2nd video that shout guy posted and arrive at a more logical conclusion .. in line with what most of us have seen in practical situations ... not just theoretical discussions...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I disagree, most players know more than enough physics to see and understand what is happening, the problem is that players who cannot play table tennis are trying to establish themselves as experts in table tennis on the basis of irrelevant facts.
I ask questions all the time that people can't answer and that includes you. Very few people have a good understanding of physics and that includes you. You don't refute my statement. That is because you can't.
When you can't argue with facts you make personal attacks. Good show. Again, you probably would say someone like Steven Hawking knew nothing about the physics of TT. Where is the logic in that? I have solved a lot of real world industrial problems. Most I had little or no experience at. I just used math and physics.
I can post proof. One had to do with the control of injection pressure into a diesel engine for the department of energy. It took me 15 hrs to get the simulation done but then they got their injection system to work after a few days where they had been working on it for two years. You know the department of energy has PhDs but I got called because simulations and control theory is what I do. Notice that you weren't called. Would you even know where to begin......wannabe?

Sometimes when someone says a ball has a certain spin, it is not so much about exactly how the ball is spinning but about how the return should be approach to returning the ball.
So now you are saying that not knowing how the ball is spinning isn't important?
This whole thread is about whether the ball has back spin!

Such language nuances are beyond some of our resident physicists but they are easily apprehended by pragmatically oriented table tennis players.
This isn't a nuance, it is basic facts. How can the ball have back spin when the paddle isn't applying a back spin torque? You do know what torque is don't you?

There goes 20 minutes I won't get back.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I ask questions all the time that people can't answer and that includes you. Very few people have a good understanding of physics and that includes you. You don't refute my statement. That is because you can't.
When you can't argue with facts you make personal attacks. Good show. Again, you probably would say someone like Steven Hawking knew nothing about the physics of TT. Where is the logic in that? I have solved a lot of real world industrial problems. Most I had little or no experience at. I just used math and physics.
I can post proof. One had to do with the control of injection pressure into a diesel engine for the department of energy. It took me 15 hrs to get the simulation done but then they got their injection system to work after a few days where they had been working on it for two years. You know the department of energy has PhDs but I got called because simulations and control theory is what I do. Notice that you weren't called. Would you even know where to begin......wannabe?

So now you are saying that not knowing how the ball is spinning isn't important?
This whole thread is about whether the ball has back spin!

This isn't a nuance, it is basic facts. How can the ball have back spin when the paddle isn't applying a back spin torque? You do know what torque is don't you?

There goes 20 minutes I won't get back..
Haha - I actually talked about a stroke having a force vector and a spin vector and that the turning effect of a stroke is what creates the spin - that's obviously the torque. I don't use the word/phrase torque because my goal is to illuminate, not to obfuscate or make myself sound smarter than other people.

I can answer most of your questions, I don't have the desire or inclination to do so because it is a waste of my time and everyone else's on the forum and it doesn't add any value. Being able to do mathematical calculations and build control systems says nothing about whether you can play table tennis well or not. And as modern robots have shown through reinforcement learning and other learning techniques, one does not need to "understand" in the traditional sense of the world to pragmatically calibrate and adjust. And this is the key - you can take the feedback of the ball on your paddle and use that to adjust your return. This is basic physics, but it hardly requires any complex math to use it.

There is a reason you have been banned from multiple forums, and it is because you have been shown to have very low understanding of table tennis and refused to explain the phenomena you see and focused on repeating the limitations of what you already know. Then you insult people who know better and show no awareness of the limitations of discussing strokes you cannot play if you cannot explain what you are seeing.

As for the ball having backspin, I have written enough on the thread for anyone to understand my answer - there are two separate questions - does having backspin mean being literally a backspin ball, and does having backspin mean that that is the conceptual approach to returning the ball. My main point is the latter.

Most of the "backspin" on the ball is a result of the backspin on the incoming serve. Anyone who plays can test this, you hold an inverted paddle out open, someone serves backspin, the ball goes back with backspin if you don't do an active stroke. Now the stroke that is applied in this case does not change the orientation of the ball in the forward direction, it comes across the lower half of the ball not forward and over the ball. So it adds sidespin (and arguably some backspin depending how the stroke is performed precisely through the contact point), but the motion of the ball in topspin/backspin dimension is largely unchanged. This can be tested as well by anyone who plays this return and was illustrated multiple times in this video.

The problem is that our resident engineers who do not understand table tennis will say something completely stupid like that a counterloop is a flat hit and not a spin stroke or that this player is not adding backspin or is coming across the ball which are all besides the point. If you want to be really smart, use your engineering to improve how someone should play table tennis.

Last edited: