Video - Today's practice match

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi there,

I played a practice match today with my coach. Would like to hear your comments/thoughts on my game. What should I continue doing? What should I stop and what should I learn? Would like to know if I am improving or not.. Here's the video:

Am the one in blue. BTW, my coach is wearing a Korea t-shirt. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
SL, a lot of stuff to write and I'll leave a few things for some others to comment upon.

When trying to make the first BH topspin vs an underspin ball, you are a bit too far from the table, you reach, and impact the ball way too far in front. That kills your control, your power, and any chance to land the ball more than 10% of the time.

When you coach made even a medium speed medium spin topspin at you, you retreated back more than a meter. Whassup? There is nothing wrong with holding the table and blocking if you need to do so. In fact, at your level, and maybe up to 3-4 divisions above you, it is a fact you can make many free points (or get the advantage in a rally that leads to the point) by angle blocking these medium topspin balls.Pros like to drop back a step or two and duke it out mid distance that first time someone opens the point, but you are likely to be better staying at teh table for now. Learn how to stay there and learn how to block and learn how to made 1/4-1/2 power counters, which will end up as very fast returns, if well placed, will also do the job.

The rare chance where you sucecessfully made a good topsin step-around FH, you were sightseeing, instead of getting back into position and watched Ur coach soft block it by you cross court. Don't sweat it, you will get better habits as you get better. I am still guilty of this every now and then too.

When you tried to stay close to the table and use your BH to medium counter to a good location, you put Ur coach under pressure and won at least 50% of points where you could make at least 2 or 3 BH counters. When you keep the tip of your racket up like you did those few points, you can get your BH into play very quickly and have good control. Even if the BH counter isn't a blazing fast or spinny shot, you took it off the bounce right away and applied time pressure to coach.

If you could manage to stay close to table some more and take balls earlier, you have a lot more possible angles opened up to you for whatever shot you want. Especially when blocking topsin, it is important to step to the ball and meet it right after the bounce for your best control, and advantage in the rally. You get better angles, better pressure, and more control doing that, and it also helps the next shot(s) as well become possible better quality, better power shots that can lead to winning the point.

A LOT of your impacts on BH wing are still way too far in front in all 3 matches, with the exception of a few BH counters at the table.

You seem to be in a rush to serve. Try not to rush into a failure, it won't help you. I think coach even told you about this in the vid somewhere.

You do not seem to have the three basic serves (topspin, cut, and knuckle with any degree of side) and three basic depths down yet. (Short, 1/2 long, and very deep near endline) You will have a much better offensive game if you can learn teh bat angles and timing for all these. it is something you have to practice. i reccomend starting by practicing off the table, lke when you are waiting for matches. You use a totally horizontal inpact, graze the ball, let it fly out a meter or two or three, and allow the ball to spin back to you on the wood floor. This is something that is simple to practice and will help your impact timing. You get the timing down, and when you learn the angles and stroke direction, you will be able to make a lot more serves. serving is SO IMPORTANT and you have a LOT of room to grow in this area. Practicing serves can get boring, but it is critical to your game. Serve and attack are maybe 1/3 of the game if you look at it simple. Good serves that limit opponet and get moar balls you expect and are attackable greatly increase the quality, power, spin, and landing percentage. I mean big-time. Right now, you are well under 50% serving and attacking, like nowhere near breaking even. With your current serves, you have abetter chance to win the point by serving, allowing attack by opponet, and defending/countering. Nothing wrong with some of that as defending and countering are important skills to develop, but in TT serving gives the server an immediate offensive advantage if you serve with a plan, get a ball to attack, and are ready.

When you decide to bump back your coaches cut serve, you are taking the ball really late. that is OK if you want to to safely return a ball you are not exactly sure of, but you send them back middle depth, which is the easiest ball for coach to rip back at you. He has a lot of options to attack that ball. When coach gives you a short or 1/2 long underspin serve, you should step in, then bump it with a loose wrist right off the bounce. You don't need much if any forward followthrough to get a short return. A variation is to step in, and bump it faster right off the bounce deep, an added bonus is if you can fake the wrist direction and change right at impact. You will break your coaches ankles doing that once you get good at it. coach will think you are fast pushing right at him, so he is already stepping around, then you redirect the ball to his wide FH with a quick underspin bump deep, he tries to change direction and snaps boths his ankles. Even if you cannot yet flick like coach, if you have an off the bounce fast push deep, a short bump, and a top of the bounce push to any direction, coach will have a more difficult time anticipating you, which will make him much less successful attacking you. That gives you your chances on offense if you are ready when coach passes up a low percentage chance and gives you a higher percetnage chance. If you are able to successfully take away his initiative a few times, it will get his attention for sure.

I am not going into the shot selection thing right now. You will grow as a player and learn which shots setup your offense and what your chances of making whatever shot are considering. Right now, unless you can make a 70% landing percentage on you offensive shots, your offense is NOT going to win you many points, unless opponent gives you the easiest of balls to finish as a gift. That is a tough reality when a TT player starts out his amature carreer. Unless EVERY offensive shot that lands is a WINNER, you need a minimum of 50% + landing percentage just to break even and dream about the offense being a point winningn machine. Since shots get blocked or countered, 70% becomes a rough guide for breaking even. That doesn't mean to avoid going for offensive shots in your matches, it just means that until your consistancy and quality get to a certain point, your offensive efforts will result in more lost points than won for a spell. That is a part of the game. Don't sweat it, when you learn shots, even if they are landing in practice, match situations are much different, and official tourneys are also a new world. It can take months for something you learned well in practice to land more than 70% in a match. You never make something above a 70%+ consistancy in amthc by avoiding trying it out in practice matches. That is why you do matchplay as part of your training. You will go through all kinds of phases where things work well in a match, then not so many things work well, even if overall, you are certainly improving in skill and level. There is alaways an up and down curve thing going on in your match performance as you learn and grow. It can get downright disheartening sometimes, but fight on TT Warrior. There are not many out there brave enough and determined enough out there in your population willing to do what you do and endure.

Even an attack-the-opponent-crazy-first-before-opponent-attacks-me-first kind of offensive player like me has to have other ways to win points besides spinning the logo paint off the ball and blasting 40 millimeter holes through opponents, then through walls. Spin variation is a wonderful tool at any level. so are tactics and changing things up, staying on balance. Defending is a good thing to have as well as countering. The bad reality is even at the top levels of my city, the points never go the way the athletes serving planned them even 1/2 the time. Similar skilled opponents close to equal will not be 100% predictable, even though you do learn some players' tendencies. Since points don't really get played out like you envisioned them, you adjust with other tools and use them to get advantages and win.

You have a great attitude throughout what are surely some very dissapointing results in many points. You smile through it. That is a very positive attitude. I remember reading Greg Letts write somewhere that "Grinners are Winners" You got that down already where soem others need improvement in that area.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Your serve needs to improve (seems to lack spin), and so does your footwork. You miss a lot of shots for being a bit late at the ball. Also, you kinda lack aggression. Other than that, you're on the good track.

You make good points and suggestions. I agree that displaying the ability to generate heavy spin on all basic serves to all three depths is critical to making reduced spin or no-spin serves killer effective. When you get opponets netting a heavy cut serve or pushing it long for a strong attack, then follow it with a no-apin serve that opponet believed was also heavy, he pops it up (or out. Dont we all like easy points?) and the server got a rediculously easy candy FH putaway chance, while the receiver stares at his blade looking for non-existant wet spots. Happens to everyone. Being able to generate that heavy spin is a must, but serving heavy on every serve is counter productive and predictable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Wow.. Epic post there! Thanks Der_Echte, and M51, I agree I need to learn to serve properly.. at least a reliable short cut serve and sidespin serve. All these days I have only focussed on technique, strokes and footwork. As a start, I have put a box of balls in my bag. From tomorrow, I will go early to work and start my day with 20-30 mins of serve practice.. :) Lack aggression? Quite a few of my opponents have told me that post-match. I need to back myself more and go for loops.

Der_Echte, you're spot on my BH.. I am hitting too early. I can't control my mind to wait for the ball. I just want to put it on the other side asap :) I need to be relaxed when playing. am too nervous. I am slow to recover from a wide FH position to cover the BH. Working with my coach on this.

Reg serves, I tried learning backspin serve but I got distracted in to doing the ghost serve. It's too slow to be effective in matches and too tricky to pull off when I am nervous. I need to develop a decent backspin serve and a no-spin/loose serve. The fancy stuff is not so useful, after all!

Hopefully by the time the next tournament comes around I will have 2-3 serves in working order and an effective allround game. Thanks for taking the time to comment! He will like your comment on the T-shirt! He has a nice collection of jerseys.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
When you get opponets netting a heavy cut serve or pushing it long for a strong attack, then follow it with a no-apin serve that opponet believed was also heavy, he pops it up
THIS.

Also, if you notice your opponent having trouble returning a specific serve, DO NOT FORCE IT, because eventually he WILL get used to it and you'll lose the edge. Keep mixing your serves, even at the expense of a point or two. Obviously, avoid the ones that he returns with ease.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
You should work on 3rd ball attack. Most all of the time your coach pushed your serve back long you followed up with another push instead of trying to make your own opening. Also I think someone above may have touched on it but your shots lack a certain aggression. There needs to be acceleration of the paddle right before contact, a couple shots I notice you kind of just went through the motions of the shot. Noticing this it'll help you impart more spin on the ball when you accelerate your swing and make your shots a bit stronger.

I'd mainly focus on attacking more though. A good mindset to have is to expect the ball to come long, but react to the short one. You should always be looking for an opportunity to attack and gain control of the point. Wait for the ball to come long and start working more on defining your loops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
DustinZ, I think I know what you referring to. Quite a few friends have told me there needs to be a jerk at the end of the loop. But I am just not getting it. My action is smooth and even. No acceleration. But I think sometime back I saw a video with Michael Maze's FH and Ma Long's. The action was visibly different. Need to know how Ma Long gets a lot of spin and power with such a smooth action. What should I do to improve the power and spin and get the swing acceleration? Any drills/exercises you recommend?

I need stronger legs and better anticipation.. That will make my footwork seem faster. Need to work on it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
DustinZ, I think I know what you referring to. Quite a few friends have told me there needs to be a jerk at the end of the loop. But I am just not getting it. My action is smooth and even. No acceleration. But I think sometime back I saw a video with Michael Maze's FH and Ma Long's. The action was visibly different. Need to know how Ma Long gets a lot of spin and power with such a smooth action. What should I do to improve the power and spin and get the swing acceleration? Any drills/exercises you recommend?

I need stronger legs and better anticipation.. That will make my footwork seem faster. Need to work on it.

The explosion that results in bat speed and resultant ball velocity/spin is a function of good timing and coordination of many parts of the body. Pumping weights really isn't a realistic option for you at this time to help you in this area. A good shot starts with good anticipation, good position before shot, good posture and balance, use of legs, waist, torso, shoulder, arm and wrist. Staying relaxed in muscles before and during shot is essential. That and hitting out of zone are two major reasons some players do not hit with enough power. Tight grip can wreck this as well. Not hitting the ball in the proper impact zone relative to the body can wreck it all as well. Your coach will bit by bit correct your bad habits in these areas and they will not get fixed in any one or two sessions.

There are many children in Korea who even in middle school or 1st year of high school can really rip loop the ball if they get one in there zone. It really isn't a matter of total body strength enough to deadlift the Titanic, but more a function of being able to generate the bat speed by impact. The bat and arm weigh only so much. You will improve in this area as you discover how to use your whole body more and time it better and hit at the proper zone and swing plane for each ball. There isn't one correct way for everything, but a lot of the fundamentals apply over different situations. I say all this asuming a good position is already achieved to hit. So many players hit out of position and waste all their energy hitting out of their strike zone. Some athletes like Michael Maze, can get away with bending like Gumby himself and still make a quality loop out of their strike zone, but it doesn't work like that for most of us.

Once you get down an effective way to execute the different footwork and recovery of hop, one step, two step shuffle and crossover, you will be ready to train it at teh table with multi or single ball drills. If the drill is set up good enough and you are executing the footwork good enough, your body will become fit to do these kind of movements over and over, like in a top match. Having strong legs really helps, but being fit to move well (you are a light dude, so you do not need tree trunk sized strong legs) being fit is more important.

On the note of being fit, for my size and body composition, I am a pretty fit dude, but lately, my coach has really made it a mission to punish my body with many accelerated drills involving exploding, moving with 2 step and crossover real fast from step around BH corner to extreme wide FH, returning back to BH corner with fast reverse crossover, and doing it all over... and over... and over consecutively, after having you hit all out in some other single ball drills where you have to move a lot. Doing that crossover movement and hit drill over and over for a dude my weight (85-90 kg depending on how well I get rid of fat certain months), well it can take a toll on your body and lungs. I run two miles faster than many of my 18-24 year old young Soldiers, but this stuff is a new world of fit that although i thought I was well cut out to do, i find out I have to also develop this fitness to handle doing those extreme crossover moves repeatedly.

Having said all that, I know I have legs much stronger than you, but your potential to move and hit is every bit as good or better than my potential to do the same thing given enough training and feedback down the line. Don't sweat it about being a bit smallish, in some cases it will work better for you and when you get fitter, you will be able to channel all that fitness into a ball moving out on its own mission.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi.. Sorry for the late reply... Was caught up with issues at work. Here's what my coach says (including what he told me today :) ):

1. Practice serves for 20 mins everyday. Focus on one serve at a time. Master the long counterchop to BH and short cut serve to FH side first.
2. Be steady while receiving. Though my stroking action is correct, my body/head is not steady. Sometimes I lift my shoulders while receiving long serves to my BH with a roll/drive.
3. He says the speed of my loop is OK. Just play 2 more loops on the table. At my current level, ppl do not block more than 2 loops. He says speed is always easy to take advantage of when blocking but spin is what needs more skill and control from the opponent. So, he says I can continue with the spinny drives and not worry about speed for now.
4. Push deep and to BH corner. No mid-table pushes. Also, if you don't read the spin on serves correctly, don't move in. Let the ball come out and push it. It's better to put the ball on the table than give a free point.
5. Don't give points on pushes, counters. Don't miss first drive/loop, first block. Put at least 4 balls on the table every point.
6. When in a rally, relax. Keep your mind free. Don't try to force the pace or hurry. Go for placement than winners. If you see an empty table, don't try to hit winners. Just place it there and finish the, likely, weak return.
7. Play safe angles all the time. Take risks only when you have some cushion. Try to hit and block cross-court most of the time. Use down the line strokes as a variation/surprise move. I do the exact opposite of this in matches. :)
8. I am weak in moving back from FH corner to BH after loop. I tend to go back and chop. Avoid chopping. Loop, take one side step and play BH counter.
9. Don't play backhand drives/rolls as your first BH stroke in a rally. Play couple of counters. See if you can get any advantage. If not, use rolls as a variation. In general, play one to the middle and one to the BH corner and then turn and attack. Ever since I started learning drives, I want to drive every ball. :)
10. Do a bit of strength training (thighs, shoulders, light bench press) twice a week. Jog daily for 15 minutes.

Last but not the least, technique and footwork is alright. Problem is in the mind. I am not narrowing down options/possibilities quickly. I get caught in two-minds. He says if I play more and more matches and these things will fall in place and not to fret over it.

I suppose that's it for now. I'll add if I happen to remember anything else...