We Need a World Table Tennis Association

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
The current international groupings are inadequate for what is going on in Table Tennis. The ITTF and the Chinese association have not moved past their nationalist and continent narrow limits. We need an association that puts everyone in the same bucket and runs the rankings on a skill-based, chess-style ranking. And brings together the world'd players.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I have a dream that one day the entire World Ranking list will be flooded with Chinese players. It is gonna be all Chinese, so no more nationalism.

We need an association that puts everyone in the same bucket and runs the rankings on a skill-based, chess-style ranking. And brings together the world'd players.
Yes! By doing exactly that my dream will be achieved.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I don't know what you are trying to say here. Everyone in the same bucket? You mean the restrictions for too many starters from one country? That would hurt everyone. Chinese fans would get bored even harder cause most are chinese, non chinese fans get bored because most are chinese.

This would mean we would have way less players that can make a living out of table tennis and increasing this problem even further

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I don't know what you are trying to say here. Everyone in the same bucket? You mean the restrictions for too many starters from one country? That would hurt everyone. Chinese fans would get bored even harder cause most are chinese, non chinese fans get bored because most are chinese.

This would mean we would have way less players that can make a living out of table tennis and increasing this problem even further
You are making assumptions that make no sense. Chinese fans will not like having more Chinese players? Have you seen the Chinese Super League? Even with the heat turned off in the middle of winter, there are still large and growing crowds. And the games are amazing to watch, even with the forty unknown-in-the-west players, each one unique to watch. And the non-Chinese fans would not like more Chinese? Again, have you seen the Super League players? These are not minor league amateurs. These are among the top 100 players in the world. And so what if they became ranked in the top 100, it would be bringing these amazing players into the limelight they deserve. Right now the national distribution of the top 100 is crazily imbalanced. There are almost zero Chinese players from number 100 to number 10, a pure bureaucratic fake list, invented by ITTF to hide just how serious Table Tennis is in China. If you are saying we should stop the Chinese level of play at the international level, I say instead it is up to the non-Chinese countries to raise their level, and that lies mainly with the Table Tennis companies like Stiga, Butterfly, Tibhar, Joola, who can raise their involvement if they want to. And with the non-Chinese school systems that need to raise their involvement. The problem does not lie with the over-involvement of Chinese fans and schools and government. In my opinion, Table Tennis should be revered in the whole world, not just China.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
In fairness, China should dominate the world top 100 rankings and get the large majority of entries into international tournaments. But that would choke off advertising and probably government support of most competing professional organizations and kill the careers of most non-Chinese pro players. So the ITTF and China have to balance fairness against the need to promote the sport internationally. Probably no consolation to the 50th best player in the world, who is almost certainly some Chinese guy who would be the best player in most countries but has no chance ever to compete in a world tour event let alone the Olympics. But maybe it's necessary for the long-term health of the sport. There wouldn't be a world tour, and most countries would stop even trying to field Olympic teams, if none of their citizens could qualify.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
China's government invests a lot into other "western" sports such as football or basketball. Timo Boll is a superstar there, they love having competition because they love their athletes giving everything for the pride of the nation. But as I don't have any numbers here I don't want to take this argument further.

International events would just die out. It's the national players that fill the halls here. I highly doubt that China could keep their training machinery running just on ticket sales and TV exposure, government gives them a lot of money. And when all other nations have to cut their budgets? Then China is gonna cut their funding too because it is not necessary anymore and table tennis just gets worse in the end.

The super hard national competition is what produces those super players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
...the ITTF and China have to balance fairness against the need to promote the sport internationally...
For sure a World Table Tennis Association would have to work out a fair system that both increased Chinese participation so the top 50 Chinese players were active and could become known internationally and loved by all fans and also allowed solid participation by non-chinese players so countries could develop teams. It would probably be like current olympic methods that do that. Yes, it could be done by the ITTF and the CTTA, so we would not need a different association as long as the changes resulted in these goals. But it may be easier to have the ITTF as a transition to a better group, with a different ranking system.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Could you please give one or two examples of political hysterical threads so I could get what you are talking about?

I can give you three examples: This thread as well as the SafeSport and the Larry Nassar threads, which were all started by you...
Your - as others have stated - "hysterical" way of argueing within these threads makes it at times look or sound like as if you were on a personal crusade. Some members might find these threads somewhat amusing or entertaining, others not so much...
But at the end of the day it is up to oneself if he/she wants to engage in a conversation like that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Jimbob you missed an important one:

Drugs in Table Tennis.

[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Well, let us assume I deliberately did not mention it... Drugs work fine for me. Otherwise i couldn't stand the stupidity of some of my teammates...;)