Why do only Chinese players use DHS rubbers?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
This one just out. Former CNT players such as Hao Shuai on who should use and why use H3 and grippy rubbers. According to Cheong Chi Cheng from Macau, the reason he doesn't use H3 is because he doesn't have enough power and that makes him prone to injury above a certain training intensity, which is alleviated by D09C/D05, because they are better for "borrowing force".

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This one just out. Former CNT players such as Hao Shuai on who should use and why use H3 and grippy rubbers. According to Cheong Chi Cheng from Macau, the reason he doesn't use H3 is because he doesn't have enough power and that makes him prone to injury above a certain training intensity, which is alleviated by D09C/D05, because they are better for "borrowing force".

I like the first video. I mean everyone uses H3 blue sponge on the forehand side except for Cheong Chi Cheng who uses D09c. A couple of them also used D09c on the BH. One even uses 42 degree of H3 blue sponge which must be hard as a rock.

I disagree with that you need to be fit to use Hurricane. I think if you grew up using Hurricane, you get a certain feel and a certain way of using the rubber that is quite addictive. Is Hurricane slower than Dignics and ESN rubber when you block? Sure. Does it give you more control when you block? I think so. Can you win a few more points on serve? Yes because everyone is using ESN and Dignics/Tenergy and they just simply cannot put as much spin on their serve no matter how hard they try.

However, one player/interviewee did say that if Ma Long and Fan Zhendong use certain equipment, you should not necessarily go out and get them because they may not be suitable for you. I agree with that 100%. That same person (or another person) in the video said that you have to try the different equipment until you find something that suits you. I agree with that 100% too. My backhand, in its current form, despite my love for hurricane for the forehand, loves soft bouncy ESN rubber on the backhand. I tried Big Dipper 38 degree and AK-47 red on my backhand. Sorry it just does not work. No way I am even thinking about sticking hurricane 37 degree on my backhand. No way. I know my limit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I like the first video. I mean everyone uses H3 blue sponge on the forehand side except for Cheong Chi Cheng who uses D09c. A couple of them also used D09c on the BH. One even uses 42 degree of H3 blue sponge which must be hard as a rock.

I disagree with that you need to be fit to use Hurricane. I think if you grew up using Hurricane, you get a certain feel and a certain way of using the rubber that is quite addictive. Is Hurricane slower than Dignics and ESN rubber when you block? Sure. Does it give you more control when you block? I think so. Can you win a few more points on serve? Yes because everyone is using ESN and Dignics/Tenergy and they just simply cannot put as much spin on their serve no matter how hard they try.

However, one player/interviewee did say that if Ma Long and Fan Zhendong use certain equipment, you should not necessarily go out and get them because they may not be suitable for you. I agree with that 100%. That same person (or another person) in the video said that you have to try the different equipment until you find something that suits you. I agree with that 100% too. My backhand, in its current form, despite my love for hurricane for the forehand, loves soft bouncy ESN rubber on the backhand. I tried Big Dipper 38 degree and AK-47 red on my backhand. Sorry it just does not work. No way I am even thinking about sticking hurricane 37 degree on my backhand. No way. I know my limit.
Ak47 red is very fast and catapulty, shouldnt be hard to produce speed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I read this whole thread and I am just going to contribute that, when I was a competitor on the european level in e-sports (counter-strike), we all agreed that acceleration of the mouse movement should be turned off. At that time, windows had its own acceleration that needed to be turned off, and we even had scripts that would disable windows ability to impart acceleration to the mouse movement by code. This was before e-sports became more mainstream and this culture is what pushed mousepads to become bigger and bigger. Nowadays you see everyone playing on big cloth mousepads that cover the whole desk.

Why? Because it gives you more gears -- you are able to impart a larger range of speeds. No matter how good touch you have on the ball, the touch on the ball is ultimately increased when you remove a "third party" speed modifier. As an outsider to high level table tennis, I can say that bouncy rubbers seem to be a trick to make the consumer think it is helping them be more consistent in their performance, but it removes nuance and skill. I am aware that this nuance is removed in the current metagame anyway, where attacking at the first opportunity is alfa and omega, but it does not take away from this first principle of having a larger range of speeds to play with.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Yes if you're kinda sick or sluggish or not performing at the best physically, D05 or D09c is a great help! Tacky Chinese rubbers can be very unforgiving especially in hard topspin vs topspin rallying. However, tacky hurricane is almost a cheat code for short push and receive, there are some real advantages the rubber allows for in this area.