Why were the rubbers black and red in the first place?

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Again, you are looking at the two color color is isolation disregarding the 8 changes to rules & regulations passed by the ITTF to exterminate choppers & other defenders.

Teh two color rule was 75% political & I would agree with the pasing of that rule if that was the end of it but not in the context of 8 rules that followed.

Pay close attention to the randomizing robot in my other post
I posted more detailed information on this issue in the post about the 9 changes to rules & regulations

BTW , for those not aware, USATT voided the two color rule in 2000
No, I said at the start that I don't want to get involved in the pips/anti debate and I was purely telling the story of the two-colour rule. In fact I do not give a flying left-handed @#&^£ about junk rubbers and I am certainly not going to "Pay close attention" anywhere except on the table. We're stuck with them whatever we say. And yes I confess I've uses short pips in the past although I don't currently.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
EVOLUTION OF THE COLOUR RULE

The Rule edition 1983 did not enforce black and red as the only mandatory colours.
It had a colour allowance as follows

-- Coverings on alternative sides of racket shall be of clearly different colours.​

This is what the regulative Rule of Colours stipulated in the very first formulation.
Thus and hence Mark V rubbers had been produced in four different colours till 1987.

PS// Too many colours in use shall bring the sport to Mayhem. We submitted a new rule to set the use of the varicoloured rubbers under strict control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wakkibatty
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
PS// Too many colours in use shall bring the sport to Mayhem. We submitted a new rule to set the use of the varicoloured rubbers under strict control.

I really hope your new rule submission will just be rejected out right, since new colours do not bring the sport to mayhem, in fact in the amateur space, it adds a lot of much needed talking point and different colour/dimension to the game. Else, it really is boring and too one sided.

I'm enjoying my different colors every week.
its about having some fun, while having fun.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Reactions: IB66
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
For many years rubbers came in different colours, blue, red, green, black etc The issue of same colour rubbers on both wings, the combination of anti / LP one side with spinny on the other was deemed ‘unfair’ by those in charge. (Rightly or wrongly) Hence the colour ruling changes, which ended up red/black.
Now, the colour rules have / are changing again. Bringing in the new colours is great, at least there is a little more ‘personalisation’ of equipment now!! Although the decision that one MUST be black, is perhaps a little disappointing!!

The main issue regarding the past ruling, was that it was real difficult to tell which rubber type was being used by ‘combination’ players who twiddled. So as long as obviously different colour rubbers are used, be it Red/Black, Blue/Pink etc then it still works.

Whether this different colour rubbers thing was ‘right’ is another thing!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Now, the colour rules have / are changing again. Bringing in the new colours is great, at least there is a little more ‘personalisation’ of equipment now!! Although the decision that one MUST be black, is perhaps a little disappointing!!

I don't play competitively, so doesn't the head coach in the base I go to.
So, we both have rackets that have 2 "colors" (no black).

This user has no status.
ITTF has its priorities mixed up & totally back asswards.

ITTF keeps saying they want the sport to be better presentable to (non-playing) spectators but they keep blaming pips / anti players as the only major problem & keep changing the rules accordingly, like 9 times since 1983.

When ITTF went from 38 mm to 40 mm , I predicted that it won't work because manufactureres will make more powerful rackets to return the speeds. The ball speed probably slowed down an year or two after 38 to 40 or celluloid to plastic transitions but speeds have been returned by manufacturers.
Though the 2 color rule was 75% political, it may have made sense for may be at most 10 years. But in th context of 8 rule / regulation changes that followed, it is a joke & meaningless,
So equipment (rubbers mostly) was not the problem
I agree with you that tricky short serves (third ball attacks & comedy of errors that follows in most matches between two booster supremacists) are the biggest issues for spectator presentation. This type of third ball attacks are possible by enhancing thick sponges using dangerous illegal chemicals but ITTf looks the other way.
If you look at badminton or pickleball, the serve is not as much a factor. But aces, slice serves & twist serves are somewhat nice in tennis. But even tennis has all but eliminated the impact of aces & serve & volley (like 3rd ball attacks in table tennis though , unlike tabletennis, serve & volley in singles tennis used to be spectacular & needed incredible athleticism) . Lawn tennis is no longer "lawn" tennis anymore except for only just one or two grass court tournaments here & there
But lots of points in table tennis end up with third balls or some simple errors. (pips & anti have very little to do with this, may be some time in the past).
Without going into details , one possible solution (at non veteran & para events only) is to mandate that alternate odd numbered games (the first 10 points of the deciding game) must have the ball crossing the end lines within the end lines by a clear at least 6 inches or 1 feet or whatever. This preserves the beauty of serves (in even numbered games) but at least gives the possibility of longer rallies in half the match with players have to learn to play little more mid & long distance defence with either chopping or lobbing or counter-looping etc

Mandating longer serves (in alternate games) will also somewhat (if not completely) reduce the impacts various illegal methods of serving such as hidden serves, ball of fingers, service toss not within 10 degrees of vertical etc etc. Short serves will remain legal in even numbered games & last half of deciding game

But (very complex) spins at very high speeds ( & serves) is the most fundamental element of tabletennis that makes it very distinct from any other racket sport & must be preserved instead of stupid atttmepts to turn tabletennis into pickleball or TTX or hardbat etc.

I am saying alternate games & not alternate points because it makes it easier for players to remember & for umpires & players to keep track

I would also do away with soft (clothe type) nets & use solid material nets with the top of the net designed to prevent net dribbles but cause the ball to bounce significantly

There also probably should be a 15 inch or 30 inch area near the net for entire width of the table where there is no table (like a trough). This prevents easy loss of points with net dribbles & also prevents a large group of player population most players (small children, veterans & para) from being able to get to the ball. If the striker drops the ball in the trough on opponents side , the striker loses the point.

This also allows the design of tables where the solid net can be just folded down without having to remove the net assembly. The net will become an integral part of the table. No complicated stupid net measurements. Broken parts for the ends of the net etc.

I do not want to come off as if I am complaining because I have problems with not having good serves or return of serves. Far from it. I never had problems returning 99% serves from 2800 players in actual tournaments (it is what happens with third ball or fifth ball etc LOL) . I also have very good serves at my skill level but I personally do not enjoy winning easy points on serves without any rallies

Another problem is the increasing use sliding round the net returns that hardly bounce. The only way to prevent these is maybe to extend the net 6 inches more on each side. Again, I am all for side spin & I myself enjoy making these around the net shots but from spectator perspective this may not be good for the sport if the point ends like this, as if there are not enough wasy to end the point quickly (& lessen spectator interest.
That certainly would be an interesting concept table, one that i would love to try playing on but it would also make learning for begginners much harder.
I think changing the net for around the net shots is a little bit silly in my opinion, they are ridiculously difficult shots that barely ever get on the table, when people have done them against me i think its fair if i cant return it becuase people get it on may 1 out of a hundred times.
I do think that rule about the ball has to cross the end lines of the table by 6 inches or whatever would be extremely difficult to enforce and it would make it even easier for umpires who are slightly corrupt to control the outcome of the game by saying certain shots like that were illegal or something.
But one thing i must say is that this would benefit choppers and pips players far more than anyone else, because they tend to have many more long shots than other players .

says Aging is a killer
Many times a poster says that, with today's equipment, the ball travels just as fast as in 38mm days. I then refer them to this video of a young man with an all-wood all+ blade, with speed glued rubbers, playing against one of the best retriever around at the time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Back in the day (when I started) 1964 things were quite different. You did not have to allow inspection of your racket for instance
The rubber could be any colour (but not reflective)
and also no rubber at all that is plain wood was allowed.
One of my team mates was a malaysian penholder with inverted on one side and painted wood on the other. He would use the wood to return serve occasionally with the same effect as using anti. He would then kill the pop up.
In the seventies there was a black guy called Trevor Campbell who had very good serves and a huge loop. He also had a huge triangular piece of wood with no rubber on it which he called his shovel.
His tactics were to serve, execute a massive 3rd ball, and if it wasn't successful he would drop his regular bat, pick up the shovel and start chopping with the plain wood! He was great to watch, a real character. after 1983 when plain wood was regrettably made illegal he took up with LP and became a combo twiddler, very difficult to beat.
Even before this I have a series of photos which show Li Fu Rong the guy that lost 3 world finals to Zhuang De Dong doing a high toss service while twiddling and stamping. He was a traditional chinese penholder so, at the time we assumed that he was serving with the plain wood and the stamp was to hide that sound. But now I wonder if in fact he was using an early version of 0x LP. One of his team mates was Liang ge Liang the chopper who helped to make LP a major factor in helping China to the World Team Event in 1977. In the early years Chinese players would not show their bats to opponents or the public, so it could be that the tactical use of LP by china evolved over time.

Last edited: