World Table Tennis Day 2016

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
The World Table Tennis Day was on the 6th April 2016!

The ITTF planned to reach out to as many countries as possible.

What are your plans? Will you be getting involved?

TableTennisDaily has teamed up with Pawel Table Tennis and we are going to travel around Bristol in the UK with a mini Table Tennis Table provided by STIGA to try and get as many people playing as possible! We will also interview people from the general public in Bristol on their thoughts on the great game.

What were your plans?

Reactions: Suga D and varik

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Who's playing TT today?

Myself and Pawel from Gram W Pingla are trying to get as many people playing table tennis in Bristol as much as possible! Lots of fun.

worldttdayttd1.jpg

worldttdayttd2.jpg

worldttdayttd3.jpg

worldttdayttd4.jpg

worldttdayttd5.jpg

worldttdayttd6.jpg

worldttdayttd7.jpg

worldttdayttd8.jpg

worldttdayttd9.jpg

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Who's playing TT today?

Myself and Pawel from Gram W Pingla are trying to get as many people playing table tennis in Bristol as much as possible! Lots of fun.

I couldn't resist being a school marm and addressing this. The reason, Dan, you use the word "myself" way too much and it is usually used incorrectly like in the sentence above. So here:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-to-use-myself-and-other-reflexive-pronouns

"Hi, Grammar Girl. This is Chuck Tomasi, your interim Grammar Guy from ChuckChat.com, home of podcasts too numerous to mention. I hear and see examples of the misuse of the word myself all the time. For example, an e-mail went out from HR like this, “Please contact Squiggly, Aardvark, or myself with questions.” Could you please help listeners know when the word myself is appropriate and when to use a more appropriate word? Thanks!

Excellent, Chuck! Let's dissect what's wrong with that sentence: "Please contact Squiggly, Aardvark, or myself with questions." The simplest way to think of it is like this: How would you say the sentence without Squiggly and the aardvark? Then it usually becomes obvious! You would say, “Please contact me with questions,” not, “Please contact myself with questions.” So when you add in Squiggly and the aardvark, that doesn't change anything. It's still correct to say, “Please contact Squiggly, aardvark, or me with questions.”

What Are Reflexive Pronouns?
Digging into the topic a little deeper, myself is what's called a reflexive pronoun. That can be hard to remember, but just think about looking into a mirror and seeing your reflection. You'd say, “I see myself in the mirror.” You see your reflection, and myself is a reflexive pronoun.

Other reflexive pronouns include himself, herself, yourself, itself, and themselves. A reflexive pronoun is always the object of a sentence; it can never be the subject. Grammar Girl has talked about it before, but a subject is the one doing something in a sentence, and the object is the one having something done to it. If I step on Squiggly, I am the subject and Squiggly is the object.

You would never say, “Myself stepped on Squiggly,” so you would also never say, “Aardvark and myself stepped on Squiggly.”

Another case where it is correct to use myself is when you are both the subject and the object of a sentence. For example, “I see myself playing marimbas,” or, “I'm going to treat myself to a mud bath.” In both of these cases you are the object of your own action, so myself is the right word to use.

Reflexive pronouns can also be used to add emphasis to a sentence. (In case you care, they are then called intensive pronouns.) For example, if you had witnessed a murder, you could say, “I myself saw the madman's handiwork.” Sure, it's a tad dramatic, but it's grammatically correct. If you want to emphasize how proud you are of your new artwork, you could say, “I painted it myself.” Again, myself just adds emphasis. The meaning of the sentence doesn't change if you take out the word myself; it just has a different feeling because now it lacks the added emphasis.

There you go! The quick and dirty tip is to think about how you would write the sentence if you were the only one in it, and then use that pronoun. For example, “Please contact me.” That's where people get most hung up using myself. And then you can also remember that it's OK to use reflexive pronouns for emphasis and when you are the object of your own action."

Sorry but, it is worth knowing when to use "myself" and when not to.

Now let's play some table tennis today!

Last edited:
Administrator
Oct 2010
Elsewhere in the UK, Great Britain's Paul Drinkhall, Gavin Rumgay and Tin Tin Ho are promoting the London Cup on World TT Day! Some cool pictures via Steve Pound.

TableTennisDaily are a proud media partner of the London Cup!

londoncup1.jpg

londoncup2.jpg

londoncup3.jpg

londoncup4.jpg

Administrator
Oct 2010
Adam Bobrow is celebrating World Table Tennis Day by sharing a new video on how to do the 'snake' shot. Adam is often asked what he does on the ball when he plays due to his crazy, unique style of shots, in the tutorial below you can see how Adam does just this shot which players such as Ma Long and Xu Xin have done recently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Table Tennis Daily, how has the 2017 London Cup got anything to do with World Table Tennis Day 2016? Shouldn't you have posted it to a separate thread?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Table Tennis Daily, how has the 2017 London Cup got anything to do with World Table Tennis Day 2016? Shouldn't you have posted it to a separate thread?

Entertaining. They are promoting the London Cup on World TT Day, which, ummm, means, they are promoting it....ummm, today. [emoji2]

But really, someone should be telling me not to post things on grammatical usage on World TT Day,especially when my grammar is so bad in the first place. Hahaha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Entertaining. They are promoting the London Cup on World TT Day, which, ummm, means, they are promoting it....ummm, today. [emoji2]

But really, someone should be telling me not to post things on grammatical usage on World TT Day,especially when my grammar is so bad in the first place. Hahaha.

True I suppose, but shouldn't we be seeing stuff like videos and photos from other countries? It is World Table Tennis Day after all :p

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I couldn't resist being a school marm and addressing this. The reason, Dan, you use the word "myself" way too much and it is usually used incorrectly like in the sentence above. So here:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-to-use-myself-and-other-reflexive-pronouns

I could have done with you at School Carl, my grammar has always been shocking :D Haha in all fairness thanks for letting me know as you are right I structure sentences in that way far to often. Happy World TT Day Carl :) Spin To Win!

Steve and the team at London Cup did this event on World Table Tennis Day I think it hit all the news stations around the UK which is pretty cool.

I spent my World Table Tennis Day coaching these crazy kids and making this video! :D

Nice Matt! Looks like all the kids are having a great time, great job !

Administrator
Oct 2010
The Worlds Best Players including Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Eliza Samara and more wish you a happy world table tennis day.

Via ITTF

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
World Table Tennis Day @ Ormesby Table Tennis Club in Middlesbrough, England. A fun session for all to enjoy the various games you can do connected to Table Tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews

Does Grammar Girl, herself, have a tutorial of when to use to or too?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Does Grammar herself have a tutorial of when to use to or too?
I hope i've understood you right.
Well anyway, here we go.

Suga D's TT-grammar lesson #7
To, too and two:

To:
1.) used as a preposition.
Sample:
he walks to(wards) the practice-hall.

2.) Or in front of an infinitive.
Sample: i think i know how to play TT.

Too:
1.) Meaning also / as well.
Sample: she plays tabletennis too

2.) Meaning an amount, when something gets too much.
Sample: his shorts are way too large.

Two:
A number.
Sample: i'm a two-winged looper

[Emoji14]

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I hope i've understood you right.
Well anyway, here we go.

Suga D's TT-grammar lesson #7
To, too and two:

To:
1.) used as a preposition.
Sample:
he walks to(wards) the practice-hall.

2.) Or in front of an infinitive.
Sample: i think i know how to play TT.

Too:
1.) Meaning also / as well.
Sample: she plays tabletennis too

2.) Meaning an amount, when something gets too much.
Sample: his shorts are way too large.

Two:
A number.
Sample: i'm a two-winged looper

[Emoji14]

Hope this answers your question.
You are spot on buddy! Perhaps this could learn the native Englishman, Dan, to tell the difference ;)