Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals?

• Ma Long

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

• Kenta Matsudaira

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
it is easier to admit when you just get back to the game 2:2 and leading in 5th game. But the 3rd game was crutial and I am sure that Timo Boll would admit the point was over.

This was the judges decision and nothing to do with FZD which did admit it was an edge ball WHEN point was called to Ovtcharov, they still decided to cancel the point because the rules state "if the ball is broken, point will be replayed"
EVEN if it's an edge ball and will in most cases go out. They would have to change the rules AGAIN for those special cases if they were to give FZD the point. So, They just followed the game rules and yes, FZD is a fair player.

This user has no status.
This was the judges decision and nothing to do with FZD which did admit it was an edge ball WHEN point was called to Ovtcharov, they still decided to cancel the point because the rules state "if the ball is broken, point will be replayed"
EVEN if it's an edge ball and will in most cases go out. They would have to change the rules AGAIN for those special cases if they were to give FZD the point. So, They just followed the game rules and yes, FZD is a fair player.

exactly...

Too bad for Dima. It was his best match in a while, or at least the first 3 sets... too bad it ended badly. FZD got used to Dima's unusual tactics in the end

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
This is really interested.
What happened first: the ball hit the edge? or the ball cracked?
I think firstly the ball hit the edge. According to rules FZD loses the point. Case is closed.
And doesn't matter what goes after that. Isn't that right?

As far as I saw, which I also think the judges assumed, is that the ball hit the edge and cracked at contact.
The ball was still in play, hit a part of the racket, and cracked, ball is cracked, point is cancelled.
There is no rule as far as I know that states a racket edge ball gives opponent the point.
Edit:
Also, what happend to the stream?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
As far as I saw, which I also think the judges assumed, is that the ball hit the edge and cracked at contact.
The ball was still in play, hit a part of the racket, and cracked, ball is cracked, point is cancelled.
There is no rule as far as I know that states a racket edge ball gives opponent the point.

2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary
pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including
adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or
outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.

Edges aren't covered with rubber so you can't. Also I ithink commentators were talking about hawk eye to see where the ball actually hit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

That may be truth, but it was FZD who pointed out that ball was cracked not the judges. He knew he hit it with the edge, even if the ball wasn't crashed it would never get back to the Dimas side of the table, and even if it did he would easily finished it. FZD knew that and Dima worked so hard to win this point. In that situation everybody would be disappointed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That may be truth, but it was FZD who pointed out that ball was cracked not the judges. He knew he hit it with the edge, even if the ball wasn't crashed it would never get back to the Dimas side of the table, and even if it did he would easily finished it. FZD knew that and Dima worked so hard to win this point. In that situation everybody would be disappointed.

He could still have conceded the point if he wanted to. The same thing happened in CC-JYS yesterday and the person who broke the ball conceded the point because they knew they missed the ball. Can't fully blame the kid for trying to win, but it happens.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary
pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including
adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or
outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.

Edges aren't covered with rubber so you can't. Also I ithink commentators were talking about hawk eye to see where the ball actually hit.

2.09.02.04: because the conditions of play are disturbed in a way which could affect the outcome of the rally.
- This rule is interpret the way that when ball brakes during the rally it is allways called a let.

So we're in a rule vs rule dilemma. Neither call would be correct or fault in any case as far as I know.
I'm not an educated referee though.

Also Sali, wether FZD called the ball broken or edge ball we don't know.
We're just speculating based on what we saw, not from what we heard. At least as far as I know.
Someone being disappointed does not make the opponent any less fair player.
Either way what was right or wrong, it was not FZD's call to make. This is why we have judges.

Edit:
I also noted another thing, from the USA Table Tennis rules
Law 2.5.7
"A player strikes the ball if s/he touches it in play with his/her racket, held in the hand, or with his/her racket hand below the wrist. 2.5.8 A player obstructs the ball if s/he, or anything s/he wears or carries, touches it in play when it is above or traveling towards the playing surface, not having touched his/her court since last being struck by the opponent."
It is considered legal to hit the ball with your fingers, or with your racket hand below the wrist, or even any part of the bat.(Law 2.5.7)
This means that you could quite legally return the ball by: hitting it with the back of your racket hand; hitting it with the edge of the bat, instead of the rubber; hitting it with the handle of the bat.

Does TT rules slightly differentiate from place to place?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Kaizoku - I understand your point, but this statement cannot be truth:
This is why we have judges.
because in most cases the players point out about the broken ball or edge of the table, not the judges. Of course later on the judges make decision, anyway it is connected with players points. From what I see the judges are responsible more for counting points then watching the game. Also try to seat and count points - you will never see what happens.

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Quarter Final Results:

Ma Long 4-0 Wong Chun Ting
Chuang Chih Yuan 2-4 Jeoung Youngsik

Xu Xin 4-0 Yuto Muramatsu
Dimitrij Ovtcharov 2-4 Fan Zhendong

Semi Final Schedule:

Ma Long vs Jeoung Youngsik (Live now: https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/livestreaming/)
Xu Xin vs Fan Zhendong

Administrator
Oct 2010
Fan Zhendong eliminates Xu Xin by 4 sets to 2! The FINAL of the World Tour Grand Finals will see Ma Long vs Fan Zhendong!

fann.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
As we can see in this tournament, Xu Xin tried serves that favor his RPB (he serves from the middle of the table!).
I hope it will be a new era for Xu Xin if he can RPB-ing consistently

Reactions: TurboZ and loss
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I remember thinking after the final last year that the ML vs FZD match was on the highest level of table tennis that has ever been reached. The way the Chinese top 3 are playing, they may have set the bar even higher now, and I think there's a good chance tomorrow's match will be the highest level TT match in history again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Prediction:

R16:

Ma Long def. Li Ping 4-0
Matsudaira def. Wong Chun Ting 4-3
Chuang Chih Yuan def. Oshima 4-3
Jeoung Youngsik def. Mizutani 4-3

Xu Xin def. Chen Chien An 4-1
Samsonov def. Muramatsu 4-2
Ovtcharov def. Tang Peng 4-3