Der_Echte in NYC

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What a coinkydink! I was there visiting my first coach Mr. Wong from 30 years ago. And they were holding there first sanctioned 2 star USATT tourney. I hope i can meet up with you guys in the future to play, eat and cause some trouble. View attachment 7841

Doon Wong. He is a great guy. I totally love him. He used to hit with me and give me pointers at NYTTF before it closed. Hahaha.

We will have to go on some TT missions together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
Doon Wong. He is a great guy. I totally love him. He used to hit with me and give me pointers at NYTTF before it closed. Hahaha.

We will have to go on some TT missions together.

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he is a great, kind and lovable soul. Not a mean spirited bone in his body. He told me he teaches the juniors at the club. He just loves teaching and coaching Table Tennis. I'd wish there were more dedicated individuals like him.

Yeah, you and Der_Echte should come challenge some of my clubmates at NYISC, its only about a 15 minute drive from the flushing korean club. They love betting for dinners, waters and gatorade. I'd advise you not to bet them dinners or the ringers might come out. We have some x-provincial china club players in my club....lol and i would call them to come in just for laughs...hee hee

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What a coinkydink! I was there visiting my first coach Mr. Wong from 30 years ago. And they were holding there first sanctioned 2 star USATT tourney. I hope i can meet up with you guys in the future to play, eat and cause some trouble. View attachment 7841

We will get you into trouble, be sure your insurance is up to date :D

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Yeah, he is a great, kind and lovable soul. Not a mean spirited bone in his body. He told me he teaches the juniors at the club. He just loves teaching and coaching Table Tennis. I'd wish there were more dedicated individuals like him.

Yeah, you and Der_Echte should come challenge some of my clubmates at NYISC, its only about a 15 minute drive from the flushing korean club. They love betting for dinners, waters and gatorade. I'd advise you not to bet them dinners or the ringers might come out. We have some x-provincial china club players in my club....lol and i would call them to come in just for laughs...hee hee

Don't worry, we got a system.

Basically, when you see me bet lunch, run for the hills right away for your own good. When I bet high stakes like lunch, I am assured to win one way or another. I can run up a pretty hefty dinner tab.

We like to play vs unsuspecting players who either want to pay for our dinner or who would never imagine we would play the way we do in doubles.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Der_Echte was the ultimate team player in doubles. Both the guys we played were better than me. One of them was as good as Der_Echte. But Der_Echte knew that my opening vs backspin is a few hundred points higher than the rest of my game. I could not believe how often he set it up so I got a nice push to loop the heck out of.

Now I am a lot better than I was the last time Der_Echte and I caused hijinks but my technique was set in place for me to make that jump when I was ready to work on game skills. But back then, if you gave me a long or half long push, I could give heavy, slow spinny loop or fast loop. The guy who was better had more trouble with the spinny ones.

But regardless of what level I am, I am terrible at doubles and am normal 200 points lower at doubles than at singles. But when I played with Der_Echte as my teammate, I felt that my level was 200 points higher than it normally would be because his ability to set up was so good. And every so often he decided to use that crazy BH banana that he is famous for and then it was all over.

Those guys didn't know what hit them when we were done.

But that wouldn't work against Shao Yu and Der_Echte would be able to smell out that he was 2500+. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, 42andbackpains, aka Superhero, Edmund Suen says hi, and tells me you are really the top secret Mr H Ong. I will leave out the -enry of your first name for special NSA secret identity phone reasons.

If you ever want to come to Spin and have a little fun, let me know. We can see if we can get Edmund to join us.

Table on me. Special membership package. Hahaha.

Sent from my SecretIdentityPhone using NSATalk

Last edited:
Reactions: agold
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As long as his partner is 1900, I'll take them on and attack Master S. Yu's serve with BH. It is sudden and can go down any path. I don't really like to banana flip, the ball goes out too slow and not as much spin as I want, I prefer the straight flip with either a LOT of spin of a pretty fast pace resembling a flip kill. I am lately realizing the importance of choosing a banana flip as a safer return when I do not precisely read the spin or depth. I realize it is better to land the shot in those cases than to make a strong shot not fully reading the ball.

Doubles is all about CONFIDENCE and being ready. It is very important to understand each other and set each other up and feed off success, but also not be negative when ya miss. It is SO EASY when you know, or reasonably expect to get an attackable chance on 3rd ball. Makes all the difference. It is also easy on the partner if you can get them to miss on your serve a few times, then be tentative or reluctant to attack, just makes the 3rd ball opener easier. Often, such a shot will get blocked out high/long or setup nicely for an easy skulldrug finish and another chance to fist bump, roll down sleeve, flex bicep, give a thumbs up, then bump forearms and immediately shoot arm and 1 finger to the sky and say "yeeeeaaahhhh". You keep doing that and opponents really see they are in a tight place and the pressure is applied, you get more easy points with shock and awe. But it does work both ways, so you gotta bring the fight - hard and decisively FIRST.

Doubles definitely requires these kind of things over raw skill.

I taught that cheer to just about every fan & TT Athlete at Special Olympics... was a total riot for an official to do that. If this was the US Open or nationals, I would prolly never be asked to umpire again, but doing it there was the stuff of legends and one of the reasons why we hold the Special Olympics... to give those Athletes something to increase their self-image, sense of accomplishment, a great fun time, and a hope they can achieve and function like anyone else at a high level and public stage.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
So, 42andbackpains, aka Superhero, Edmund Suen says hi, and tells me you are really the top secret Mr H Ong. I will leave out the -enry of your first name for special NSA secret identity phone reasons.

If you ever want to come to Spin and have a little fun, let me know. We can see if we can get Edmund to join us.

Table on me. Special membership package. Hahaha.

Sent from my SecretIdentityPhone using NSATalk

Dam it, my cover is blown. I should have guessed Edmund was a double spy. I need to do a snowden and activate my run for border protocol. I think i will go up North to the country that is famous for maple syrup, Tim Hortons and Eugene Wang. You will never find me because i will be eating my way through the high end Chinese Restaurants on Highway 7(MMMMmm Nom Nom Curry Dungeness Crab w/ French Bread). Afterwards i will challenge all the local TT clubs, gaining wisdom and experience just like a Shaolin Monk. After some time, I will finally breaking through and gain TT enlightenment. Then one day when the time is right(when i yearn for Korean spicy fried chicken), i will return with a vengeance and challenge Der_Echte & UpSideDownCarl in the ways of Table Tennis.:D

By the way my rating is only 1425, so you have to spot me 5 or 6 points...LOL :cool:

Guys, all the high end guys usually dont show up on weekends. They train usually during the weekdays. Drop by on Saturday around 4, thats when the 2000 ratd older wise guys show up and they love to bet here and there. Just let me know when you guys can drop by and i can get those guys together on a Saturday.

Edmund asked me to go to Spin and i said nah because of the terrible uptown parking. But i have to make trip uptown now since UpSideDownCarl invited me. I will ask Edmund next time he is going to Spin and i will tag along.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Your USATT rating would place you on the high end of Div 5 city where I was at in Korea. The standard 2+1+1 formula would make me spot you 4 points handicap (me being Div 2 city, even if I coulda been a Div 4 ringer).

Do any of your older players use OX LP on BH by any chance ???

If so, me and Carl gotta go up there and clean them out for every Taco, Veggie Juice, Korean BBQ, and Chicken platter we could milk them out of before they catch on it wasn't simple good luck.

This user has no status.
Your USATT rating would place you on the high end of Div 5 city where I was at in Korea. The standard 2+1+1 formula would make me spot you 4 points handicap (me being Div 2 city, even if I coulda been a Div 4 ringer).

Do any of your older players use OX LP on BH by any chance ???

If so, me and Carl gotta go up there and clean them out for every Taco, Veggie Juice, Korean BBQ, and Chicken platter we could milk them out of before they catch on it wasn't simple good luck.

We dont have anybody that would use the lp as a full time weapon and most of the time its a old school penhold using it on his bh for last minute throw you out of wack tactics. I'd wish we had a chopper in our club so we can practice and get some much needed experience. Most of our club plays the typical Chinese style shakehand and penhold style. I am a disciple of Shao Yu and take a weekly lesson from him. It has taken me 9 months, but i finally beginning to grasp the feel and touch of using short pips on my backhand. I'd welcome the challenge from the troublesome duos. Fwighting!!!...LOL

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We dont have anybody that would use the lp as a full time weapon and most of the time its a old school penhold using it on his bh for last minute throw you out of wack tactics. I'd wish we had a chopper in our club so we can practice and get some much needed experience. Most of our club plays the typical Chinese style shakehand and penhold style. I am a disciple of Shao Yu and take a weekly lesson from him. It has taken me 9 months, but i finally beginning to grasp the feel and touch of using short pips on my backhand. I'd welcome the challenge from the troublesome duos. Fwighting!!!...LOL

We will have fun when we get together. BTW: Edmund is who fixed my FH. It was really messed up and he made me unlearn my old FH and relearn a new one like starting from complete beginner. For about 2 years I almost exclusively did drills to get my technique so that I could keep the new strokes and move to random placement. And now I am doing a lot of game simulation drills, serve and receive drills and match play. And my level is starting to go up a decent amount. I may have got my level up to 1424 now. Perhaps you should spot me 1 point so I can be 1425 like you. hahaha.

This user has no status.
We will have fun when we get together. BTW: Edmund is who fixed my FH. It was really messed up and he made me unlearn my old FH and relearn a new one like starting from complete beginner. For about 2 years I almost exclusively did drills to get my technique so that I could keep the new strokes and move to random placement. And now I am doing a lot of game simulation drills, serve and receive drills and match play. And my level is starting to go up a decent amount. I may have got my level up to 1424 now. Perhaps you should spot me 1 point so I can be 1425 like you. hahaha.

Sure Carl, you are just trying to set me up and i wont fall into your well devised traps. If you can hang with Edmund, then you must be pretty good. I am not taking the bait...lol

Edmund is pretty strong and hope to get some pointers from him too.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Last two times I run into Carl, his match play was significantly lower level than what he could do as separate strokes or practice play, i mean significantly lower, like several levels lower. This is typical of a player who is intensely practicing and hasn't yet got it down enough to repeat in match play under pressure given dynamic opponents. It was only a matter of time before his level would elevate given the way he was practicing and who was helping him.

That said, Carl was already solid 1700s level at that time and I would guess you could safely add 100-200 points of level to his true playing level now, it wouldn't surprise me.

I said it a lot of times before on every forum, my personal playing level coming back from Korea was mid 1900s, but with 2 years of no regular TT (just played once every couple months in Boston visits) skill went downhill, then I got fat in a really frigid winter and nearly completely tore off a rotator cuff tendon under my upper tricep/bicep area. I did some tourneys while injured and came out 1750 rating, but true playing level in April 2015 (only a couple months ago !!!) was prolly around 1500.

I week of practice in Boston prior to my relocation there prolly got me back to my official rating, then the last 6 weeks prolly got me back reasonable close to my former Korean level with a better BH close to table.

This user has no status.
Last two times I run into Carl, his match play was significantly lower level than what he could do as separate strokes or practice play, i mean significantly lower, like several levels lower. This is typical of a player who is intensely practicing and hasn't yet got it down enough to repeat in match play under pressure given dynamic opponents. It was only a matter of time before his level would elevate given the way he was practicing and who was helping him.

That said, Carl was already solid 1700s level at that time and I would guess you could safely add 100-200 points of level to his true playing level now, it wouldn't surprise me.

I said it a lot of times before on every forum, my personal playing level coming back from Korea was mid 1900s, but with 2 years of no regular TT (just played once every couple months in Boston visits) skill went downhill, then I got fat in a really frigid winter and nearly completely tore off a rotator cuff tendon under my upper tricep/bicep area. I did some tourneys while injured and came out 1750 rating, but true playing level in April 2015 (only a couple months ago !!!) was prolly around 1500.

I week of practice in Boston prior to my relocation there prolly got me back to my official rating, then the last 6 weeks prolly got me back reasonable close to my former Korean level with a better BH close to table.

I am glad that you are getting over your injury and back to your troublesome playing self. I being 43 this year also have accumulated mutliple injuries and my most recent one was my old injury on my playing arm. My elbow tendon flared up and i was out for about 2 months and also had a bad cough during 1 of those months. I just took my first training session from Shao 2 weeks ago and just had one this past saturday. I am sort perplexed and happy. I seemed to have made a beakthrough with my time off....My short pips bh started to land and feel good. I felt like i had a epiphany while doing mutliball to my bh. I decided to just relax as much as possible and go for it at the point of contact. My issue is that i get too tense and dont know how to relax....i need to learn to break the habit of getting tense. Hopefully i can get the same feeling and continue advancing the next couple of months. I also have a bad back and tendonitis in my back playing shoulder....sucks to get old...but we use what we got. I will post a video of myself from April for you guys to critique. Looking forward to your advice, Thanks