Der_Echte in NYC

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Last two times I run into Carl, his match play was significantly lower level than what he could do as separate strokes or practice play, i mean significantly lower, like several levels lower. This is typical of a player who is intensely practicing and hasn't yet got it down enough to repeat in match play under pressure given dynamic opponents. It was only a matter of time before his level would elevate given the way he was practicing and who was helping him.

That said, Carl was already solid 1700s level at that time and I would guess you could safely add 100-200 points of level to his true playing level now, it wouldn't surprise me.

I said it a lot of times before on every forum, my personal playing level coming back from Korea was mid 1900s, but with 2 years of no regular TT (just played once every couple months in Boston visits) skill went downhill, then I got fat in a really frigid winter and nearly completely tore off a rotator cuff tendon under my upper tricep/bicep area. I did some tourneys while injured and came out 1750 rating, but true playing level in April 2015 (only a couple months ago !!!) was prolly around 1500.

I week of practice in Boston prior to my relocation there prolly got me back to my official rating, then the last 6 weeks prolly got me back reasonable close to my former Korean level with a better BH close to table.

Der_Echte's assessment of my play is actually fairly accurate. There is one flaw in it. At the time we played last, I played exactly as he said, against guys who were good. People who are better hit the ball where they want more and the spin on the ball is much more predictable. So I would play higher against guys who actually were good. Then I would play someone 1200-1400 and a lot of the time they try to hit the ball to one place and it goes somewhere else, they try to get heavy topspin and the ball ends up dead. And at the time I would mess up on that stuff over and over again. So I was actually playing at about 1500 at that time because if you lose to someone 1400 and beat someone 1700 that is about where you are.

Right now I am playing pretty evenly with most people who are in the 1800-1900 range. I really did have to relearn my forehand. And Edmund really did break it down and help me change it. The guy is not really a table tennis coach. But he is a great teacher and really got me to understand what I needed to do to change it.

So, I hang around with Edmund because he has taught me more than anyone else and he is seriously generous with his time. Not because I can challenge him in a match. hahaha. And he is another one whose technique is better than his overall level.

So for 2 years I just did not play matches almost at all because I did not want the old, bad habits to reassert themselves. Now they are gone. About 4 months ago I started working on game skills and me level has really jumped. It is a lot closer to the level of the technique of my strokes now. Not all the way there. But closer. Like, if I am past the first 3 balls and and in an open rally with someone who is 2000 I can hold my own and am about 50/50 in those rallies where I can get to mid-distance. However, a player who is 2000 sees my weaknesses easily and exploits them and does not let me get to mid-distance. hahaha.

When my over the table skills match my mid-distance skills, I will be a better player. But I am happy.

You see the thing is, when you don't work on game skills, even when your strokes are pretty good, your game skills go out the window. So, before I fixed my forehand my rating was 1650 but I was pretty much at the ceiling of what the old technique would allow without me changing to a pips racket. And all I really care about is technique getting better and spinning the hell out of the ball because that is what makes me enjoy playing. So when I changed my forehand technique, I probably dropped to about 1400.

When Der_Echte and I played last time my technique was starting to be solid. A few months after I started working on game skills and match play again. And in the last 2 months things started going up. So now my actually level is closer to the level of my strokes. But not there yet.

Also, knowing how to loop over the table which is different from looping from mid-distance is a really valuable skill and knowing how to come over the table to flip also needs to be be developed side by side with over the table loops. Those things are starting to get better. And in working on them, somehow my countering of flips has really improved. In match play, at this point, I am happy to let my opponent flip on me5, because unless their flip is very good, they better be ready for what comes back. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 42andbackpains
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And today, 42andbackpains and UpSideDownCarl got to goof around at SPiN with the infamous Edmund Suen. I will post photos from home. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am glad that you are getting over your injury and back to your troublesome playing self. I being 43 this year also have accumulated mutliple injuries and my most recent one was my old injury on my playing arm. My elbow tendon flared up and i was out for about 2 months and also had a bad cough during 1 of those months. I just took my first training session from Shao 2 weeks ago and just had one this past saturday. I am sort perplexed and happy. I seemed to have made a beakthrough with my time off....My short pips bh started to land and feel good. I felt like i had a epiphany while doing mutliball to my bh. I decided to just relax as much as possible and go for it at the point of contact. My issue is that i get too tense and dont know how to relax....i need to learn to break the habit of getting tense. Hopefully i can get the same feeling and continue advancing the next couple of months. I also have a bad back and tendonitis in my back playing shoulder....sucks to get old...but we use what we got. I will post a video of myself from April for you guys to critique. Looking forward to your advice, Thanks

It well and truly sucks. Doesn't help to have degenerative arthritis either.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is a doggy character named "Dodge" who will soon be tracking down Carl for some TT mayhem on my behalf, since I cannot really make it there soon.

He is the dude I sometimes had a chance to hit with at lunch when I was in Upstate NY in the middle of nowhere North Country.

Dodge is a lefty and about half as wild dude as me and it will be enough.

This user has no status.
And today, 42andbackpains and UpSideDownCarl got to goof around at SPiN with the infamous Edmund Suen. I will post photos from home. Hahaha.

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

It was great meeting you UpSideDownCarl and getting to hit for a couple of minutes. Spins lighting kinda throws you off for the first couple of minutes. You have a pretty good forehand loop, i hope i can take a couple of games from you next time we meet :D Lets get Der_Echte, Edmund, you and me together, it would be a party of epic proportions...lol

This user has no status.
It well and truly sucks. Doesn't help to have degenerative arthritis either.

NextLevel, you are doing great. You have reached 2000 and still improving. I see on videos lately that you have not been using your knee braces. Maybe the rise in rating is helping you overcome some of your ailments. Lets both keep at it and i will get down to Trolley Car sooner or later. See you soon at one of the tourneys. :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It was great meeting you UpSideDownCarl and getting to hit for a couple of minutes. Spins lighting kinda throws you off for the first couple of minutes. You have a pretty good forehand loop, i hope i can take a couple of games from you next time we meet :D Lets get Der_Echte, Edmund, you and me together, it would be a party of epic proportions...lol

Did you like the around the net, stealth training Edmund and I showed only the smallest hint of.

That one around the net that slid made me happy.

We will have fun when we get together. Der_Echte and Edmund will be fun to watch in match play. I have another friend who I will have to bring along 'cause I want him to meet Der_Echte. They have the same level, the same size, and the same backhand dominated game. It will be like Der_Echte playing his clone. And of course we will have to get Ming (PingPongHolic) to join in the hijinks.

This user has no status.
Did you like the around the net, stealth training Edmund and I showed only the smallest hint of.

That one around the net that slid made me happy.

We will have fun when we get together. Der_Echte and Edmund will be fun to watch in match play. I have another friend who I will have to bring along 'cause I want him to meet Der_Echte. They have the same level, the same size, and the same backhand dominated game. It will be like Der_Echte playing his clone. And of course we will have to get Ming (PingPongHolic) to join in the hijinks.

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Lets Do It!!! And your around the net shot was sweeeeeeeeet!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, you missed the "Secret Agent Man" post on pg 4 hehe, Ur cousin did a good job on that number.

I didn't miss your appropriate video. I watched every twang of the guitar and smooth tone of the voice. My cousin is fun to listen to on that song when he was predicting the trouble making two of us on TT missions battling it out in all out secret agent warfare with the goon squad and the new and improved cyborg goon squad. But you should hear him sing that song while playing TT. Even better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NextLevel, you are doing great. You have reached 2000 and still improving. I see on videos lately that you have not been using your knee braces. Maybe the rise in rating is helping you overcome some of your ailments. Lets both keep at it and i will get down to Trolley Car sooner or later. See you soon at one of the tourneys. :D

The braces are back... was a bad idea to stop using them... I am frustrated by some shoulder tendinitis at the moment. Thanks for the kind words. If you come to Trolley Car, I will hold a party in your honor! I still have to get Len Yang before he gets too good for me to have any hope. He has escaped me twice when I had him easily. Kids...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

NYC would NOT be able to handle the ensuing LULZ. It was bad enough with just three of us (PP Holic, Carl and I) but Edmund is the JOKER in the deck.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here are the photos from SPiN:

IMG_0764.jpg

In the photo above it is 42andbackpains, Abby, UpSideDownCarl and then Edmund. So yeah, the guy who is more than a head taller than everyone else in the photo, that is 42andbackpains.

IMG_0763.jpg

In this second photo it is 42andbackpains, Edmund, Abby and then UpsidedownMe. Important detail to notice, in both photos I made sure I was standing next to the one with the black dress and the beautiful eyes.

Now these photos not only show that we got together. They show one of the most important aspects of playing at SPiN NYC: you can play table tennis and hang out with beautiful women at the same time!

Edit: Oh, and I almost forgot, that stuff that looks like discoloration or water on my shirt, that is something called sweat. That is what happens when you hit with Edmund and that tall guy who is pretending he is only 1425! BTW: Not!

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I found out today from Boston Korean TT Assn that I am expected (cough - cough... highly encouraged... cough cough) to participate in this year's NYC Labor Day Korean tourney like I did last year and had a side mission with Carl & PP Holic. So you all might see me in a month's time after all.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well then, one side mission coming up!

As for the photos, we can't show you the kind of rigorous training Abby puts Edmund and me through on a consistent basis, now, can we? But I can tell you that she is the best SPiN Hostess ever.

Last edited: