2024 WTT Contender Taiyuan 5/21-5/26

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So what do we think about the same tier of WTT events happening at the same time?
Different continents, a lower tier that would historically have limited the top players who could play in either event if not for this Olympic year exemption, and Olympic qualification events on both continents that make the events more accessible to players already on those continents - to me, it is good. More opportunities to fit into the schedules of players that are already travelling quite a bit.

This user has no status.
Different continents, a lower tier that would historically have limited the top players who could play in either event if not for this Olympic year exemption, and Olympic qualification events on both continents that make the events more accessible to players already on those continents - to me, it is good. More opportunities to fit into the schedules of players that are already travelling quite a bit.
Yeah, I was thinking more players get to compete which is obviously good. Just wonder if there is any drawback I can't think of.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I wonder what the thinking for Hirano was coming to this tournament. For ranking purposes, it might have been better to go to Rio De Janeiro, but perhaps she thinks (and may be right) that she has a better shot against WYD and company vs. Hayata. However, she'll probably have to go through a minefield of Chinese players. Or she could just want to test herself vs. Chinese players which might not be a bad idea heading into the Olympics. Additionally, I noticed that she and Miwa are not signed up for women's doubles. I wonder if Japan has given up on the pair and may be considering Hayata/Miwa which gives you a lefty/righty combo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wonder what the thinking for Hirano was coming to this tournament. For ranking purposes, it might have been better to go to Rio De Janeiro, but perhaps she thinks (and may be right) that she has a better shot against WYD and company vs. Hayata. However, she'll probably have to go through a minefield of Chinese players. Or she could just want to test herself vs. Chinese players which might not be a bad idea heading into the Olympics. Additionally, I noticed that she and Miwa are not signed up for women's doubles. I wonder if Japan has given up on the pair and may be considering Hayata/Miwa which gives you a lefty/righty combo.
That is interesting - might just be to preserve energy for singles play though. I think we sometimes underestimate the toll playing in multiple events at once can have on players because they do it so relatively well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Main draw is out. Miwa and Miu Hirano are in the same quarter. Miwa has to get through 1 probably 2 Chinese players (Liu Weishan and Shi Xunyao) to get the quarter. Kihara and Ito are in another quarter. Kihara would have to get through Chen Yi, one of China's strongest juniors. Chen Yi is 3-2 head to head vs. Kihara, but Kihara won their last meeting actually at the 2023 Contender Taiyuan.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
they should have 2 smash or champions at the same time too.
this way, more players can win the max points
Champions wouldn't work since that's supposed to be the top 32 and it would be weird to have two "grand slams" at the same time. No sport does that, right? More feeders and contenders at the same time in different places would be good though I think.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Champions wouldn't work since that's supposed to be the top 32 and it would be weird to have two "grand slams" at the same time. No sport does that, right? More feeders and contenders at the same time in different places would be good though I think.
A better and still imperfect analogy is probably Masters 1000 events but I agree with you 100%. On the whole, I am not a fan of the exclusive nature of the Champions events, I think that events should not be limited to only top 32 or so players, there should always be an element of qualification beyond ranking built into the process

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Grand Smash also requires the top 50 players to attend as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
WTTContenderTaiyuan2024WSDraw240522S.jpg

Reactions: KiwiPong