Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
And Silver, I just have the review I wrote many years ago to fall back on as to how the blade played the first time around. If the sweet spot is altered in a big way I am sure I will notice and that will pretty much mean no more sanding of Cpen blades.

I feel I will be left with a smaller sweet spot, true, but not necessarily so small that it becomes ineffective. One can hope.

yup i found it and re-read it, but then realised it was years ago. And possibly your impressions would have changed. Hence my comment.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
Relax your shoulder, use your elbow. You look like you've locked your elbow and are trying to wrench the whole thing over with your shoulder. The whole thing should be a flowing movement.

thanks, been trying to do that for months, been recording myself any noticed improvement but seems everyone says the same thing! will keep working on it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
thanks, been trying to do that for months, been recording myself any noticed improvement but seems everyone says the same thing! will keep working on it!

Go practice looping in front of a mirror (shadow play) - do it slowly at first so you can coordinate the movement.

This user has no status.
Go practice looping in front of a mirror (shadow play) - do it slowly at first so you can coordinate the movement.

been doing that. looks great in front of a mirror. bring the ball into play, back to the old form. it definitely looks better than a few months ago though (to me anyway), slow change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Had a real good hit a club last night.

Played my training partner who I haven't beat since Dec of 2016. Match started out rough. Think the first two games where 11-7, 11-8.

Then changed my tactics. Felt like he was getting too much an advantage on serve. So I tried something unorthodox. I started playing his serve standing on the far left of the table diagonally across him. As if I was a right hander. I normally stand in my back right corner being left handed. But that opens up his wide serve to my FH that for some reason I can't seem to figure out. Well standing in that far left corner took that away.

I was playing inverted on my FH, long pips on my RPB and I was largely moving into position to play his serve with a RPB LP chop no matter where it went. If he served diagonally to me, LP chop. If he tried to sneak a serve down the line, LP chop. I was looking to just neutralize and get beyond the serve where he was killing me while being on the lookout that if ever tries to dumd down the serve from the long pips (ie - no spin just put it in play type of serve), I'd be ready for a TPB inverted attack.

Worked out pretty well. Came back to win the next two games. Tied 2-2. Final game. Apparently lost focus and got down. 6-0. Came back but lost 11-8. So close yet so far. Darn. But I remember the last time I played him inverted/LPs, it was 3-2 also then. So apparently I just play better with this style vs duel inverted. If I keep up this strategy, I'm confident I'll steal one from him sooner or later just by throwing numbers at it. :p (ie - keep playing him a lot of matches)

The TPB block was money last night. He's like me in being somewhat taller but lazy on footwork so I was killing him with He Zhi Wen like TPB blocks really wide to his FH side for winners. Felt great and gave me confidence vs his power loop, which he assumed would be winners came back right by him wide out of his reach. He complemented me on the blocks saying as much.

Last edited:
I've noticed a lot recently, that barely anyone adjusts their serve or receive during the toss. This is a really good way of starting mindgames and creating errors. For example, I'll stand heavily guarding my bh receiving and then during the toss, move into neutral etc. It's been very useful against lefties where they are very used to mismatched serve receive so normally have an advantage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
at 4:15 looks like she attempts to smack the ball with the reverse side which appears and sounds like it has no rubber on it. is that legal?

No it's not legal to hit with a bare wood side. It's my guess she probably has an OX rubber on the BH side. She wouldn't have tried that if there wasn't some kind of rubber on there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Had a real good hit a club last night.

Played my training partner who I haven't beat since Dec of 2016. Match started out rough. Think the first two games where 11-7, 11-8.

Then changed my tactics. Felt like he was getting too much an advantage on serve. So I tried something unorthodox. I started playing his serve standing on the far left of the table diagonally across him. As if I was a right hander. I normally stand in my back right corner being left handed. But that opens up his wide serve to my FH that for some reason I can't seem to figure out. Well standing in that far left corner took that away.

I was playing inverted on my FH, long pips on my RPB and I was largely moving into position to play his serve with a RPB LP chop no matter where it went. If he served diagonally to me, LP chop. If he tried to sneak a serve down the line, LP chop. I was looking to just neutralize and get beyond the serve where he was killing me while being on the lookout that if ever tries to dumd down the serve from the long pips (ie - no spin just put it in play type of serve), I'd be ready for a TPB inverted attack.

Worked out pretty well. Came back to win the next two games. Tied 2-2. Final game. Apparently lost focus and got down. 6-0. Came back but lost 11-8. So close yet so far. Darn. But I remember the last time I played him inverted/LPs, it was 3-2 also then. So apparently I just play better with this style vs duel inverted. If I keep up this strategy, I'm confident I'll steal one from him sooner or later just by throwing numbers at it. :p (ie - keep playing him a lot of matches)

The TPB block was money last night. He's like me in being somewhat taller but lazy on footwork so I was killing him with He Zhi Wen like TPB blocks really wide to his FH side for winners. Felt great and gave me confidence vs his power loop, which he assumed would be winners came back right by him wide out of his reach. He complemented me on the blocks saying as much.

suds,

that's awesome! part of a winner's mindset is to adapt and flexible ... responsive to the conditions and not force the matter with their preferred methods. congratulations!

*sigh* in truly embracing RPB ... i think i cannot TPB punch/block anymore - last few times, balls flew off the table and not landing in LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Continuing with my transition from an oldschool penholder to the modern penholder style...

Last night, practiced a little over an hour with a friend who is a coach. Trying to learn the RPB strokes ... focusing on the RPB punch for now. My friend advised me to focus on the punch instead of RPB spinning because my timing is off on when to hit.

Still haven't internalized the technique yet, still so many moving parts to the technique ... it's frustrating at times as the first hit is close to ideal form/timing and the followup hits are off LOL

I then practiced serves for about 20 mins. Still not quite used to the feel of the physical blade as well as the rubber yet. Timing is off, not comfortable in hand - need more sanding, etc. Tried serving with extended fingers grip... still not used to it yet... serves not short enough ... so much to work on LOL

Having fun though!

"It's the journey not the destination."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I will start (again) to play with jpen tomorrow.
I'm a shakehand player. I have tried jpen for a few months in the past but I couldn`t get used to TPB, but I'm motivated to try it once more. For me, seeing a jpenner playing is more enjoyable and also RSM is one of my idols.

Wish me lucky :D

Talking about jpen, what do you recommend for a 1 ply kiso hinoki blade?
I play for 3.5 years so I know the basics, but I lack consistency. I consider myself a beginner. I want a blade that I can use for several years as I develop more and more, I don't want to EJ too much on jpen (they are too expensive lol). I have a cheap america cypress jpen bought from taiwan that I will use to play for now, but I want also to have one kiso hinoki one. Any suggestions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I will start (again) to play with jpen tomorrow.
I'm a shakehand player. I have tried jpen for a few months in the past but I couldn`t get used to TPB, but I'm motivated to try it once more. For me, seeing a jpenner playing is more enjoyable and also RSM is one of my idols.

Wish me lucky :D

Talking about jpen, what do you recommend for a 1 ply kiso hinoki blade?
I play for 3.5 years so I know the basics, but I lack consistency. I consider myself a beginner. I want a blade that I can use for several years as I develop more and more, I don't want to EJ too much on jpen (they are too expensive lol). I have a cheap america cypress jpen bought from taiwan that I will use to play for now, but I want also to have one kiso hinoki one. Any suggestions?

Good luck shinshiro!

Sorry, I know nothing about JPen blades.

• Sad
Reactions: jbvttcc