Solution to the current problems in CNT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
This is a message from a fan to CTTA, ITTF and all table tennis fans around the world and it contains solution to the current problems regarding China national team (CNT)

The absence of the Chinese top players during China Open on 23th June implies their heavy disapproval with the established changes in the Chinese national team. On the other hand it is known for a fact that ITTF intends to prevent the continuing Chinese domination in the championships and they do as much as they can to achieve their goal. At the same time, a majority of the fans who follow the sports events have expressed their opinion that they also heavily disagree with the changes regarding the Chinese national team. But in my opinion, both the federations and the fans are wrong. I will explain.

Before this "incident" occurred, I myself had a different perspective of things. I've never guessed that a lot of the victories in a team (including the CNT) is thanks to the competence of the coaches. That would mean that CNT's victories are achieved thanks to their coach (in this case Liu). This is the fact that a lot of fans who want Liu to be returned into the CNT miss: there is a huge gap between the competency in and China and any other country. If everybody had the same conditions of coaching and training, the results would be different.
It just so happens that China's trainers are on a higher level than coaches in other countries. This is because China has a much stricter and responsible sports system. They value discipline a lot more than anybody else. Also, the Chinese coaches have a much better training and technique fundamentals and education of coaching. Comparing those circumstances to players like Aruna form Nigeria for example, it is hard for me to even imagine how is it possible that players like him can reach such a high level of competency, considering his country's playing circumstances. Obviously the effort that those players put in has to be bigger than those who's training circumstances are better.
It is also strange to me that a majority of the fans who state that table tennis is a game that before all we must enjoy, are the same people who support the domination of China on every international championship. You can't do that, you can't on the one hand claim the need to enjoy the sport but at the same time support China's domination all the time, just because you contradict yourself. There is no enjoyment in having China dominate on every championship. This is like watching the same film 20 times and expect to enjoy it as much as you did the first time. It is just not realistic, and sooner or later this will become boring to you too. And if a "boredom" from China's domination becomes a massive tendency, that would mean that the fans led by this feeling may become participants in the worsening of the problems.

The fans' mistake is that they do not take into consideration some of the reality of the situation. The political affairs on the top floors of administration is a fact and we cannot do anything about it at this moment. It is also a fact that the domination of China, even if it continues it will become boring sooner or later and a lot of fans will lose interest in the sport.

The CTTA's mistake is that it removed the very idea of head coach in the CNT (China national team). This is too unfair.

China can still dominate (or not), but In my opinion the conditions that the players train need to be at least somewhat equal to the other countries. We should let the leading players be decided as best as it could according to the effort that they themselves put in the sport. Regardless, new arising stars in table tennis like Tomokazu Harimoto and Yuto Muramatsu are gaining competency and sooner or later they will have big achievements in national competition level including top awards, so why not make it fair for everybody else too.
In order for you to have a "smooth ride" in governing, you need to be able to compromise and balance between the reality and the desired. The problem as far as I can see right now is that none of the guys in charge are able or want to think of some balanced solution to the problem, and I'm afraid that if the problem is not dealt with soon and efficiently, we can all suffer from big discredibilities in regards to the experience of the game and the problems will deepen within time.

Advice to CSA: Please do not harm the sport that we all love. Millions of fans around the world's eyes currently are on you and rely on your correctness.
My solution to this problem is to return Liu to CNT, but to change his status, meaning not as a head coach, but something of lower rank. By doing that, you return his presence in the team and contribute to the satisfactory of the team players, but also
you continue to take away from his influence on the performance of the team so that the playing conditions can be leveled with that of the players from other countries.

Advice to fans: Please do not take this occurrence as "incident", this is an opportunity for you, as well as everybody else because this provides a better chance for the world to compete on equal terms with China. This is what equates in true sportsmanship - equality and honesty between all players.

I send this message to everyone with the hope to be read and to contribute to the solving of the current issues regarding CTTA. My motive consist only of my desire for the sport to keep its wonderful content and sportsmanship between all the players around the world.

Reactions: EmRatThich
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
first I don,t know if the players had talked with the anybody not to change the coach? Also don,t know how long has this problem happened? Coach can never be the same, one day he has to retire. We can not just rely on one person. If those players can not play table tennis because of different coach, then they had better not to play.
Now they do that, table tennis sport suffers, fan suffers, those countries who organise the tournaments suffer.
China should not stop sending players to play tournament, those who did not turn up to the tournament can stay at home until this problem solved, many others can go. China has a lot good young players.
Why did they change the coach ? Has China team talked with each other ? I hope we know what was going on among all those people in the China team.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Regarding the CTTA, the ITTF, and the fans, those are three entities that will have almost no influence on what happens next. The entity making decisions now is the General Administration of Sports in China (GSA) and they don't really care about table tennis as a whole. This is all about internal Chinese politics (including possibly personal scores that are being settled). At the same time, Chinese authorities view sports national teams' performance as being all about showcasing the country in the most patriotic of terms. The Chinese government does not care about competitive balance in table tennis. They expect and hope to win every important event from now on, which means that at some point we will see their best players again, but in the meantime they are forced to grovel.

The ITTF? Useless in this and many other things.

We don't know for certain all the reasons behind LGL's firing, and probably never will. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Also, as to how they organize their coaching staff in the future? That may end up being quite bizarre and we may have a lot to comment about once that shakes out.

As for what fans think? We have zero influence, but events without the top Chinese players will be minor events, even if on paper they are "platinum". I don't see any "opportunity" in this. It is just sad. Kind of the way Timo Boll described it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
The letter seems too naive in my eyes. ITTF does not necessarily want to stop china and the plastic ball change was not about that but about XSF and that dude (with the administrative position inside ITTF) with his wife's ball patent to make money.

Also leveling the training conditions from age 4 to 16-17 when most players nowadays becomes a pro is far from reality and its easier said than done

Lastly how the hell ITTF supports china domination but on the other hand they want to stop their dominance, aruna and every other aruna out there does not have equal training conditions for various reasons ITTF cant solve everything for every player. Its quite different if you are born a talented aruna in nigeria, germany,greece or china and in some countries maybe aruna wouldnt even have the chance to shine, but he is today here and we can enjoy his unique style

fairness to all participants is impossible its not how the game is played anyway

Sep 2016
No matter what, China does not like this kind of activity, I think those player will not be able to play for China, they will not be allowed to leave China until few yrs later in order to stop them playing for other countries too quickly. So they will have to train themselves to keep the form and wait few yrs later to leave China, same as some other players before.
Everything is wrong in China table tennis this time. Wrong to change coach,wrong not to turn up to the tournament......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Also leveling the training conditions from age 4 to 16-17 when most players nowadays becomes a pro is far from reality and its easier said than done

In china kids start training from the age 7. Before that only private coaching is possible.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Baal already sum it up.

No fan can change anything here.
The problem is really deep
CTTA can't even do anything about it.

We would just be lucky if the player and coaches get 3 to 6 months suspension

IMO, LGL and KLH will never return as coaches.
If the remaining coach shows sign of rebellion, then they will also be removed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No matter what, China does not like this kind of activity, I think those player will not be able to play for China, they will not be allowed to leave China until few yrs later in order to stop them playing for other countries too quickly. So they will have to train themselves to keep the form and wait few yrs later to leave China, same as some other players before.
Everything is wrong in China table tennis this time. Wrong to change coach,wrong not to turn up to the tournament......

To accept political influences is also wrong too.

On the note on changing countries, it is not as simple as that as all 3 of the players will need "cooling off" periods before they can represent other countries.
This is after citizenship and stuff. But we all know countries like Singapore can fast track it to 1 week

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Please... Let's not try to change the world. We as parents have a hard time to change our kids' behavior, how on earth you think you can change a system as complex as China? :confused:

Aww c'mon! That's some disenchanting loser talk. Here's what winners write:

The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do!
(Steve Jobs)

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
You would think. And yet recently they hired a taekwondo coach for the women's national soccer team (who are usually a very good team). There are some really strange things going on in the GSA.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Aww c'mon! That's some disenchanting loser talk. Here's what winners write:

The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do!
(Steve Jobs)

Perhaps. But in China they do things their own way and they don't care what any outsiders think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Come to think of it, it isn't necessary a bad idea

In TT, we have ITTF and we have guys who are running the shows for decades.
Some times it is good to get outsiders in, as there is no "I owe you, because you vote for me" under the table dealings.

At the end of the day, political power in sports is very deep.
Like how can Saive not become president, why didn't people vote for him?
Why did the Qatar guy drop out, and now he is "promoted back" to VP?

If you let the same people in the group for too long, it will become very dirty.
So I understand the motive coming from the senior government to "clean" certain things, but sadly there is also hidden personal agendas

Battle of the GAS is public knowledge.
Give it a few years and another boss will have another crowd.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
What i can't understand is surely the china government want the worlds best coach to help the CNT?

I would be surprised of there were such a thing as a monolithic "the china government", speaking in a single voice and acting with rational consistency. On the contrary, I would suspect — like in any large organisation — that what looks like a single organisation in fact turns out to be an intricately intertwined complex of competing factions, and elaborate processes with a ruthless internal dynamic. A buzzing chaos with a superficial semblance of stability, and perhaps such a constant inner turmoil does indeed imply a certain stability.

(Yes, I sort of implied "the Chinese government" and organisations like IBM are similar fiefdoms. I think they are.)