Dignics 09c vs hurricane 3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
"anyone who knows anything" can be perceived as condescending. I also apologize if my response was too direct.

I did not do research. I only expressed that I appreciate those that did, and taking my understanding of their work helped point the way in my equipment choices.

As for performance limits, this article demonstrates (https://www.ittfeducation.com/wp-content/uploads/resources/199408014 - Tiefenbacher - Impact.pdf) that even an allround blade is able to return a bounce close to a block of marble at high impact. Any material will only affect how much (less) energy is lost. Also, that all rubbers are dissipators of energy.

I saw your comment pre-edit. So, would you take back your previous statements about MX-P and T05 having no differences in effective play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I saw your comment pre-edit. So, would you take back your previous statements about MX-P and T05 having no differences in effective play?

No need. At high impact, both should be roughly equal. At lower impact, any differences can be adjusted with getting used to. I don't personally think the low impact performance between the two rubbers are huge. If an player's experience/technique is sound, they should be able to play effectively with either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
No need. At high impact, both should be roughly equal. At lower impact, any differences can be adjusted with getting used to. I don't personally think the low impact performance between the two rubbers are huge. If an player's experience/technique is sound, they should be able to play effectively with either.

And there is a difference between playing effectively versus playing optimally, right? You can't simplify the whole of competitive gameplay to "high impact" and "low impact" situations.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is a great response, thanks. I know nothing about movement theory. If someone who knows about it and tells me its more productive to focus on intended effect and let the rest naturally balance out, then I learned something useful.

But it takes someone to know the theory to point out its application. If I had the willingness to learn that theory, it won't be detrimental.

The kind of discussion we are having in this regard is SO WAY under-discussed and not yet well understood among memebrs.

This is why you see me go apeshyt when TTD goes Goo-Goo Ga-Ga apeshyt on the equipment fanboy threads and "Scold" members for not contributing, liking, or commenting on "More Important / Relevant" matters like these.

I may be an ape... so send the Goon Squad after me, put me in a cage on the next train to the ape headquarters labor camp.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
And there is a difference between playing effectively versus playing optimally, right? You can't simplify the whole of competitive gameplay to "high impact" and "low impact" situations.

Yes you are right.

Equipment is only one part. A player will likely get closer to playing optimally when they are in tune with their gear. Changing from MXP to T05 or vice versa will not mean they can't play as effectively.

Expanding a little bit, if someone bothered to put me through a motion capture set and told me how I can better sync my muscle groups or approach impact at a more efficient angle, I would be a better player.

Also, being able to evaluate "equipment" to find the kind of feel I like makes me more enthusiastic to play more, and get better.

About the next post, knowing more about equipment would tell you that it doesn't take a lot to get one that let's you play your best. And knowing is better, at least you know what you want to change and how to get that "feel" on your next purchase.

It is more on sports science and body mechanics not the physics context that brokenball is referring to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yes you are right.

Equipment is only one part. A player will likely get closer to playing optimally when they are in tune with their gear. Changing from MXP to T05 or vice versa will not mean they can't play as effectively.

But it may mean they can't play as optimally. Or were Freitas and Apolonia were not skilled enough to get in tune with MX-P?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
But it may mean they can't play as optimally. Or were Freitas and Apolonia were not skilled enough to get in tune with MX-P?

You mean those players who changed sponsors because they didn't like being forced to use something different?

That's right. Professionals probably value familiarity, if they are used to one rubber and someone asks them to change to something that "feels" different. They reject that change. But if they had started with the other rubber or committed to switching/acclimatizing, I doubt their performance would be different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
You mean those players who changed sponsors because they didn't like being forced to use something different?

That's right. Professionals probably value familiarity, if they are used to one rubber and someone asks them to change to something that "feels" different. They reject that change. But if they had started with the other rubber or committed to switching/acclimatizing, I doubt their performance would be different.

So you think that Freitas did not give a fair shake to Tibhar rubbers to try to adjust, despite having been sponsored by them for many years? And if pro players value familiarity, why don't players who were previously sponsored by non-Butterfly companies stay with their old rubbers after switching to Butterfly sponsorship?

Do you know have any clue how equipment sponsorships work? I ask not condescendingly, but honestly, because it sounds like you are guessing a lot here and don't know how things actually work. The "committing to switching/acclimating" portion you mention is a mandatory and major part of the process. You really think players can just come into a new company and never even attempt to switch to their equipment?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Sure, pro players value familiarity, but they value familiarity and more importantly, performance. You cannot apply these generalized adages however you wish to determine truth.

If pro players valued nothing but familiarity, why didn't Dima, who was sponsored by DONIC for many years before and after the release of Tenergy, stick with his DONIC rubbers rather than using Viscaria and Tenergy hidden by edge tape for the longest time? Why has Koki Niwa switched blades countless times over his career? Why is Jun Mizutani in recent years going back and forth between straight and flared handles? Why have pros overwhelming switched to Tenergy 05 Hard/Dignics series rubbers in the last two years, rather than sticking with the original Tenergy series that they are very familiar with?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
So you think that Freitas did not give a fair shake to Tibhar rubbers to try to adjust, despite having been sponsored by them for many years? And if pro players value familiarity, why don't players who were previously sponsored by non-Butterfly companies stay with their old rubbers after switching to Butterfly sponsorship?

Do you know have any clue how equipment sponsorships work? I ask not condescendingly, but honestly, because it sounds like you are guessing a lot here and don't know how things actually work. The "committing to switching/acclimating" portion you mention is a mandatory and major part of the process. You really think players can just come into a new company and never even attempt to switch to their equipment?

Yes, I was guessing. But, please do enlighten me on how your sponsorship works. I have to pay for my own stuff. And on the occasions that I do crack one of my favorites, I know exactly how to get one tailored to my preferences. Any none-identical characteristics, I can adjust well enough.

i should have qouted you and lasta's comments but it seems only yours is showing but this is for lasta.

Top players are not forced to change their equipment.
1. waldner used to play with Tenergy 05 and so does dima and dima at one time even used h3 national but came back to T05.
2. Kong Linghui changed back to using globe 999 national after trying Butterfly Tackifire Special.
3. Hugo Calderano was using his old blade even he was with Xiom already and not until recently he is using the HUgo HAL blade which he only switched to recently since he is very picky on equipment.
4. and how about the other members of the CNT who uses different equipment than they are being advertised using.

The list goes on but point is they MAY or MAY NOT try the brand that they are representing but if that affects their game they are not obliged to.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Why have pros overwhelming switched to Tenergy 05 Hard/Dignics series rubbers in the last two years, rather than sticking with the original Tenergy series that they are very familiar with?

My guess on this? Sponsor wants to sell more stuff, "its different, but you might like it", they committed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
1. waldner used to play with Tenergy 05 and so does dima and dima at one time even used h3 national but came back to T05.
2. Kong Linghui changed back to using globe 999 national after trying Butterfly Tackifire Special.
3. Hugo Calderano was using his old blade even he was with Xiom already and not until recently he is using the HUgo HAL blade which he only switched to recently since he is very picky on equipment.
4. and how about the other members of the CNT who uses different equipment than they are being advertised using.

The list goes on but point is they MAY or MAY NOT try the brand that they are representing but if that affects their game they are not obliged to.

I think you are oversimplifying the issue - it always depends on what they negotiate in their contract.

I think you are oversimplifying the issue - it always depends on what they negotiate in their contract.
it all comes down to the contract yes but reality comes in wherein companies also do not want their players decrease in performance just because they switched to a different equipment. HUgo Calderano for once was not forced by Xiom to switch everything to Xiom though he is using an all Xiom blade and rubbers now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

Companies are flexible. An immediate change, especially when there are major tournaments, is not expected, as this was the case for Hugo from Cornilleau to Xiom. After some period of time, you are generally expected to be using that companies equipment. You may be thinking of likeness/advertising/clothing sponsorships as well. STIGA is not seriously expecting Wang Manyu to be using their equipment.

When you are an absolute legend or top 5 player, things may be different. So your first two bullet points for players who played decades ago does not disprove the general idea of what I am saying. Forthe vast majority of sponsored players, what I said is true. And if you look at the original context of what lasta said and how this came up, I don't think you would be arguing this point. The point is that, players have sufficient opportunities to try their sponsor's equipment, and if they had liked it more than the rest, they would be using it.

My guess on this? Sponsor wants to sell more stuff, "its different, but you might like it", they committed.
Because they are in a level wherein they can use Dignics effectively and also the new rubbers matched their gameplays??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

"Professionals probably value familiarity, if they are used to one rubber and someone asks them to change to something that "feels" different. They reject that change. "

Remember 15 minutes ago, when you said this? LMAO.

Companies are flexible. An immediate change, especially when there are major tournaments, is not expected, as this was the case for Hugo from Cornilleau to Xiom. After some period of time, you are generally expected to be using that companies equipment. You may be thinking of likeness/advertising/clothing sponsorships as well. STIGA is not seriously expecting Wang Manyu to be using their equipment.

When you are an absolute legend or top 5 player, things may be different. So your first two bullet points for players who played decades ago does not disprove the general idea of what I am saying. Forthe vast majority of sponsored players, what I said is true. And if you look at the original context of what lasta said and how this came up, I don't think you would be arguing this point. The point is that, players have sufficient opportunities to try their sponsor's equipment, and if they had liked it more than the rest, they would be using it.

As what I have said on top, supposedly yours and lasta's post were qouted and only yours show up. i posted this in response to lasta's.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

"Professionals probably value familiarity, if they are used to one rubber and someone asks them to change to something that "feels" different. They reject that change. "

Remember 15 minutes ago, when you said this? LMAO.

If they don't like the different feel they reject it. If they try and like it, they commit? What's wrong with the logic?

Go ahead and tell me how you balance commercial interest and personal preferences when your sponsor asks you if you want to change.

Last edited: