DHS NEO Hurricane 3 Tackiness Test

This user has no status.
Getting there on time is one of my many weak points. Not only because of poor footwork (which I'm working on) but also because I'm totally not good at predicting where the ball is going to come. When I'm blocking I stay close to the table so my reaction time limit is very little. To deal with it I should learn to predict the incoming ball but I have no idea of how to do it. I guess I should just wait and with experience this will come too.

This user has no status.
It is said tackiness of H3 neo commercial version differ from piece to piece. I think in provincial and of course national it is stabilised. I also heard that when you order H3 neo, it is not playing good for first time you are playing with. It is creating for tuning! It is said it is good when you glue it more times (I read the best it is from fifth regluing) - you also have to use right glue - the banned one is best :) -there is no point using the new one, the chemical do not go throught the sponge (thats how tuning works - the chemical go inside sponge and it is changing properities and reactions bat do when it contact the ball)
I had it too and I didn´t like it. It completly changed my style - I didnt have every stroke properly and absolutely good, I was still developing and making better my strokes, so maybe for those who have properly remained style, it is good rubber - I lost too much control and sureness.
Only one thing that was good for me was so much rotation in serve...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Getting there on time is one of my many weak points. Not only because of poor footwork (which I'm working on) but also because I'm totally not good at predicting where the ball is going to come. When I'm blocking I stay close to the table so my reaction time limit is very little. To deal with it I should learn to predict the incoming ball but I have no idea of how to do it. I guess I should just wait and with experience this will come too.

So, hopefully this information is helpful. This is about technique and it is hard to learn to do this, but to get to higher levels, you have to be able to do this. If you are trying to predict where the next ball is going and you are feeling like your reaction time is slow, you are probably missing a huge piece of technical information and know how.

When you are in a rally, you need to be reset and ready for the ball to move in any direction (FH or BH, in or out) before your shot bounces on the other side. Then, from a ready position, you need to be watching the ball and the angle of the opponent's racket as the opponent is making contact so you can see, as he hits the ball, where the ball is going. Then you are not predicting where the next ball is going, you are seeing where it is going as the ball is being hit. When you do this, you have much more time to move to the ball. When you are trying to move to the spot of the ball even after the ball is only an inch off the opponent's racket and you did not fully watch the racket angle and contact, you are going to be in big trouble.

To be reset before your ball bounces on the other side is really hard and it takes a lot of technique. That is why so much of the technique at mid-level play is about learning to use compact efficient strokes.

However, with blocking, it should be easier to reset because it is a block not a stroke. So when you block you just need to get into a ready position for the next ball as fast as you can. You are still watching your ball after you hit it, but you have to get reset ASAP. Some people watch the ball but do not reset. Without a fast reset it is really hard to be in position to move to the next ball.

As you work on this, you probably should get someone to do some random ball placement drills with you. These help because they get you to start watching the ball off the opponent's racket better and to move to randomly placed ball at a speed you can handle and keep form. As you get better, the drills get faster and harder.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Since blocking was discussed in detail I just thought I would add That I love blocking with either the h3 neo and h3-50. In my mind much like h3 is strong for short game touch. I think blocking is also a strong point. Try blocking with some side from time to time. Most of the time when I'm blocking I'm out of position reacting to a well struck ball but I have taken to just naturally started adding side while blocking both when countering side top spin and when reflecting a straight top. Depending on where I am I may have a slight forward movement with the block, but the tacky top really grabs the ball and sends back good spin. Mixing in side also takes some distance of the ball and it can often die. this makes the shot a safer shot allowing you to execute it at a slightly more comfortable height above the net. This is true to a degree with any rubber but because the H3 is tacky and dead on passive strokes it seems to be very effective. Pretty elementary stuff really, but it's been a topic that I have discussed of late with a fellow h3 user and beside being( relatively speaking of course) safe, mixing it in changes the pace and its kept me several points. Against intermediate players this often can throw off their timing for an aggressive follow-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Thank you, I tried cleaning with some water, then I tried picking the ball up and it did come, but I managed to keep it only for one second or so...

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk
Those videos of ball getting stuck on rubber are old videos. Very old videos use 38 mm ball, which is lightest, and has less gravitational force. Then old videos have 40 mm celluloid balls, which would stick for some seconds. New poly balls are heavy, and the surface too is not great as it was in previous balls (celluloid). Hence this must be the reason.
Also, neo topsheet has less tack than the old generation, which I personally believe is good.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
So far, none of my H3Ns and TG3N (6 total) have had any problems with tackiness.

My oldest H3N (nearly 3 years of playing) still maintains its tackiness.

If your rubber is loosing tack, then it's either dirty, cold or dry. If cleaning with water doesn't work the first time, try again a couple more times as water will rehydrate the rubber. Sprinkle water on the sheet, use a wet/damp towel to scrub/clean it and wipe off the excesss. Also, breathing on it and wiping with your palm makes a difference in my experience too, since your breath is warm enough to revive the rubber.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
So far, none of my H3Ns and TG3N (6 total) have had any problems with tackiness.

My oldest H3N (nearly 3 years of playing) still maintains its tackiness.

If your rubber is loosing tack, then it's either dirty, cold or dry. If cleaning with water doesn't work the first time, try again a couple more times as water will rehydrate the rubber. Sprinkle water on the sheet, use a wet/damp towel to scrub/clean it and wipe off the excesss. Also, breathing on it and wiping with your palm makes a difference in my experience too, since your breath is warm enough to revive the rubber.

I breathe on the rubber too during practices and use my palm to remove dust, but I do wonder if that will cause the rubber to be too moist and then lose the tackiness, as I have had one episode this week where the rubber becomes so slippery that I can no longer loop topspin balls with the same action I have been doing for the past 2 hours. And because of that, I can no longer use the rubber effectively in that practice session.

This user has no status.
I breathe on the rubber too during practices and use my palm to remove dust, but I do wonder if that will cause the rubber to be too moist and then lose the tackiness, as I have had one episode this week where the rubber becomes so slippery that I can no longer loop topspin balls with the same action I have been doing for the past 2 hours. And because of that, I can no longer use the rubber effectively in that practice session.

This is interesting. how do you maintain your paddle? Do you keep it exposed to air/light or do you keep it in tight case? What is the weather like in Australia, and does your paddle get exposed to weather elements?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
This is interesting. how do you maintain your paddle? Do you keep it exposed to air/light or do you keep it in tight case? What is the weather like in Australia, and does your paddle get exposed to weather elements?

I clean my bat with water + non-abrasive sponge after every hit, then I will put it in my bat holder. I do not expose the bat to sunlight. Currently, we are having winter, so there is more rain, and generally more humid than summer. There has been times, where if there is heavy rain, I knew already that the grip will be poorer, from the start of playing, and I think this is different from losing grip after playing 2 hours from moisture building up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I am a rubber cleaner addict. I use one sponge to clean and another to dry. I think it is normal for a tacky rubber to go total slippery after an hour of play no matter the weather. I found water can do little sometimes and only cleaner can bring back the grip, especially Chinese rubbers where they are prone to collect dust and dirt.

This user has no status.
Overdoing anything causes harm. I was too extra caring with my h3 neo since I was using chinese rubber for first time. Use it normally, and don't over clean it. Trust me, too much tackiness won't be good unless you have too much power. The concept is to keep it mildly to mid high tack. Then it will do wonders. Protection sheet of stiga that I use is good.
And like der_echte said, after playing, clean it lightly, apply breathe to moisten, and apply protective sheet. Open it the next day, tack will be just perfect.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I clean my bat with water + non-abrasive sponge after every hit, then I will put it in my bat holder. I do not expose the bat to sunlight. Currently, we are having winter, so there is more rain, and generally more humid than summer. There has been times, where if there is heavy rain, I knew already that the grip will be poorer, from the start of playing, and I think this is different from losing grip after playing 2 hours from moisture building up.

I think the humidity is causing the problem here. Here in Texas, on occasion I will leave my bat in its case in the car under my seat parked out in the 90 degree scorching sun. While this is probably not good for the bat, I feel the dehydration/baking process does improves the wooden paddle and helps restores the chemical properties/molecular chains that make the top sheet tacky in the first place. It does however shrinks the sponge (but my baby oil treatment to the sponge keeps it from ever shrinking). I foresee the humidity causing your top sheet to loose tackiness, as water lubricating my nature and may be trapped within the pores of the top sheet.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, since all of this is pseudoscience BS, and just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk