Hello. Blade Question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi guys

Can You please help me choose a new blade? Currently I'm playing with Jun Mizutani Zlc with tenergy 05 on both sides. I'm club level, I play pretty well. My play style is based on high spinny topspins and counter loops.
I am struggling a bit with blocking when I play against very good players, mizutani is very flexible and it doesn't give me enough control. I have a good control feeling overall but not as much as I would like if opponent is high level and sometimes my counter loops go outside.
What blade would you recommend that has more control, is not as fast as mizutani and doesn't vibrate. Vibratoon feeling doesn't give me control.

I was thinking at Stiga Arctic, Dhs 301,hurricane hao2, stiga emerald. I have tried some time ago the emerald and I enjoyed it, definetely more control.
I heard that stiga ebenholz v is a very good blade as well but I read some reviews that it vibrates a lot and it's hard to.play backhand drives which won't suit me cuz I'm forehand player.

What do you think at my choices and what would you guys recommend for me? (no bty blades)

Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
if your looking purely for control, i actually really like the koto-alc blades for that. Quite crisp (which i like for control) but also sticks on the blade jsut long enough to allow you to direct the ball to where you want it. I've only played with the drinkhall power carbon or whatever its called outside of bty blades of that composition but also heard good things about the fang bo 2 if ur looking for a cheap alternative

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Yeah I think that the best option is Maze/Freitas ALC. I think it's the same ply constitution, but with ALC instead of ZLC. Less vibration, less speed but not slow, and better control against faster players. If you are low on money, you can also try Maze/Freitas ALC clone, Yinhe Venus 16!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Stiga Nostalgia all around (it is actually off-)
Xiom Feel AX or Stradivarius

Nostalgia sounds interesting. Can you tell me how it feels it terms of vibration? As I said vibration feeling gives me less control on blocks so I am looking for med-stiff blades with more solid contact on ball. What would you recommend from Nostalgia, Arctic, emerald and feel ax?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Stiga Nostalgia all around (it is actually off-)
Xiom Feel AX or Stradivarius

I have checked a bit nostalgia series. I think Nostalgia allround it would be to light weight for me, I am used to play with blades over90 grams, so maybe N-O would be better option?

My play style is based on high spinny topspins....
I am struggling a bit with blocking...
Vibratoon feeling doesn't give me control....

Well, generally for a high spinny topspin the flexy blades are better. The stiffer is the blade the harder it will be to execute a high spinny topspin. Stiffer blades are more suitable and with better control for passive blocking and flatter hits, and the topspins go with a lower trajectory. Rubbers do matter too. T05 is better for high spinny topspins, but it is not with the best passive play and block control. T05fx is better for blocking, but its topspin trajectory is lower. This tendency is progressive with T64 and T80.
So there is a contradiction in achieving what you need. Generally you will have to trade off something, depending on your style prefferences, or just to fit your techniques.
Anyway, the blade I would recommend is Xiom Vega Tour.
It is ZLC too, but has no disturbing vibrations, it is a bit slower than the JM ZLC, it is OF but has great AR play and touch too, good feeling, great sweetspot and amazing control both in active and passive play. In addition its the most linear in spead change.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think anyone would struggle against players 3 levels above them, it is natural.

Blocking is about getting to the ball, then options are numerous. One can block well with anything, although some setups (stiff/fast) are great for fast blocking.

The better players will fool you where they are going with the ball and catch you out of position or at least make it challenging to be ready on time on balance.

It is interesting to see someone say they are ready to switch blades, 'cause blocking is challenging.