How did you decide Chinese versus Tensor rubber on FH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
So I enjoy the Hurricane 2. It is very good rubber and the weight is good. I wonder though if Hurricane 3 is better control? I don't want to try tons of rubber, but I have a discount due to shipping error. So I ask you all if I should try H3 NEO or the H3 50?

My loop is my best shot. I serve with fh pendulum. weakness is chop and touch close to table. I am working on that of course with technique. Would one of those H3s be better for my style of play than the H2? I tend to hit a little long with H2 when I miss my FH. Maybe it is too fast?

I also read that the H3 -50 is easier to use as it is more forgiving on loop and fh drive.

I then read that H3 Neo is probably best match for my blade, so I lean towards that.

Do like the chinese rubber a lot on fh. It was good to switch to this DHS Hurricane for me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For me, these things ultimately boil down to match results over a period of a month or so and what shots and possibilities are opened by the new rubber. In isolation, it is easy to overemphasize this or that (for example, I used to overemphasize my short game control with Big Dipper and underestimate the points I lost blocking into the net against lower rated players).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
This is my take. For Chinese rubber especially the H family, all short game depends on the top sheet. We are mainly using the top sheet tackiness to generate spin and the inverted pimples as a spring to push off the ball and thus having some dust on the surface will detrimental effect on short serve, hitting to the net or too high. The sponge is different from those ESN or Tensor. It has too many gears but wide ratio too. It is like driving a car (more like a farming truck) with wide gear ration transmission. How does it affect the play? This is very noticeable when to doing blocking. If you are practicing blocking high quality drive or loop and doing well, any incoming soft drive or no spin will render high chance the blocker hitting the ball to the net. Very difficult to adjust and it is liken to driving at high speed in 5th gear and suddenly downshift to 1st gear. Not just adjusting the blade angles, tightness of fingers, you have to push the ball too. This is because you might be using the top sheet inverted pimples to push off the ball.

For most players, a softer Chinese sponge is generally preferred. Easier to play and doesn't feels like playing with a hard bat. As for the high quality players such as those CNT, they will prefer very hard sponge. They dislike too many gears. The hard sponge provides them with 2 gears, low power or max power. It is like the olden days turbo charge car, all or nothing. With only 2 gears available, it becomes no brainer for gear selection. This also why it is generally used in FH as the FH is one that wins the point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
So by that post, sounds like you think H3 is better option then h3-50?

I think in term of tennis. In tennis, the new way is high power frame, low power strings. The string provide the spin and control.

So I have pretty high power OFF blade in Ma lin and think maybe control rubber with high spin on FH may be best for me. I may be wrong, which is why I make thread

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
There is no better or lousier. It depends on the player ability to handle it. I used to play H3-39 degree extensively but now using Lidu - hard for both FH and BH.

This user has no status.
I think it boils down to what you want to become as a player.
Do you want to go the extra mile to improve your footwork and strokes? Do you want to be consistent in your counterlooping? Do you want to put more balls on the table? Are you tired of being lazy and flat hitting everything?

If you answer yes to one or more of the questions above, consider a chinese rubber on your forehand.

It is more work. The rubber is slower. The racket is heavier. But it pays of in the long run. You won't automatically get better technique, but a chinese rubber will tell you that you are doing the strokes bad. Flat hitting won't work as well, but counterlooping is much easier. Digging a heavy underspin is much easier. You'll have to set up your points better. No more flat smashes to win the point.

Don't think about the next two tournaments, think where you'll want to be in two years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Is a good point I go back to old paddle and I just miss the feel of the Ma lin. such a nice paddle in my hand. I guess I may try H3 versus my H2 and thats it. No need to try a million rubber when the game is about technique more than this equipment.

I just practice 3 hours and finally start really hit good consistent loop again with the H2. It just take commitment to the stroke and a good low to high motion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Work with coach again and he show me loop which I believe is maybe chinese style? It was slow loop. When I take back paddle the blade is not closed to face the ground or top of blade pointing down. It is closed about 45 degree and I make contact when ball is dropping right after peak of bounce. Full body swing, starting low and standing up to power the ball forward.

Anyway, I decide enough of the madness - I will slow it down a little but stay with Chinese rubber and use Skyline TG3 NEO. I read that is easiest to use and most versatile for fh. The Dawei XP is working good for bh, so I think I am good there. I stay with Ma Lin blade and put the skyline on it, the back to practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
When I get a little better I will try it, because I read it is very good. For now I save my money from the expensive rubbers and put it toward paying my coach.

I wish I was this smart earlier in my career... and even now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
When I get a little better I will try it, because I read it is very good. For now I save my money from the expensive rubbers and put it toward paying my coach.

Can you get more than an hour of coaching in US for the price of two Tibhar Evo rubbers? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
I have a question - my game has evolve a little bit. I have focus on blocking back loops with my FH instead of counter looping every time. I hit ball a lot thinner now then before..less drive, more loop and spin.

I notice that block with the Skyline 3 rubber is pretty difficult. Many times the ball just dies into the net. Still I am good at the blocks but the % is not as high as I would like. Is this just an issue with chinese rubber that I should get past? My FH is like this :

Pendulum serve on FH side - no spin, side, side under, under and top. practicing reverse pendulum too.
lots of slow loop fh
FH chop on short ball
smash drive winner maybe 2-3 times per game against good player.
against backspin -slow loop to opponent FH and block back their loop.

Is the skyline 3 a good choice for this style? I read that Battle 2 may be best of all of them

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Battle 2 is cheap. Just buy it and try it.

For the blocks, you have to block/counter weak loops more actively. Like I said, I decided that I block too passively on my forehand so I stopped using Big Dipper. But any route you choose is fine, but if you stick with it, you have to counter everything except powerloops.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Ok, i will. I have a quick question on backhand. Coaching has evolved me to this style - I chop a lot of backhands and do heavy brushing back spin. Anything above net or with with top or side, I loop. But I'm not "true" both wing looper, more defensive on BH. Is the XP2008 best, or anything else you suggest I try?

It was suggested to me at club that Tibhar Power Wood may be a little easier to use than shake hand YEO. Not sure what rubbers to try on it.