How much do you spend on racket every year?

How much do you spend?

• up to 100 USD

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 100-200

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • 200-300

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • more than 300

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Similarly the ideal number of rubbers purchased per year (Q) is given by:

Q = 2 (i + j)

where i is the number of new rubbers introduced by Butterfly and j is the number of new rubbers introduced by ESN.

Some Chinese investigators prefer to modify this as follows, where k is number of new "National" rubbers introduced by DHS, and the other terms are as before.

Q = (i/2 + j/2 + k/2)

Last edited:
Reactions: langel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it is interesting that, in the poll, the two categories that have most of the votes are between 100-200 and over 300. It is sort of like you have the people who just buy rubber for their rackets and/or spend carefully, and the EJs. But not too many people who spent between 200-300. :)

Reactions: sanavasaraja
Well, it's not always true, but I presume that players, using more expensive rubbers, change them more often, plus that they usually use more expensive blades.
And on the opposite side - players with cheaper blades and cheaper rubbers change rubbers not so often /plus that most of the cheaper rubbers have longer life/.
That can make the gap between them more than double.

I would add a separate category to the poll - "a Butterfly player"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
I think it is interesting that, in the poll, the two categories that have most of the votes are between 100-200 and over 300. It is sort of like you have the people who just buy rubber for their rackets and/or spend carefully, and the EJs. But not too many people who spent between 200-300. :)

To be fair 300 dollars is nothing when it comes to blades and rubbers now a days. Should have added like 500, 700 and 1000+ to the poll also.

Reactions: danisius
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm waiting or a numbers cruncher to build a really warped-azz bell curve with sd, confidence, regression, and alpha, and how the Goon Squad affects the Z Table.

To be fair 300 dollars is nothing when it comes to blades and rubbers now a days. Should have added like 500, 700 and 1000+ to the poll also.

While it is true that, if you use Tenergy on both sides, pay full price and change your rubbers every two months, that would come to approximately $900 per year. It is still worth understanding that, someone who is paying more than $300 per year, several years in a row, is spending more than $300 several years in a row. :)

There have been years where I spent very little. There have been years where I spent a lot. But once you settle on a blade that is good for you, then, either you are spending on rubbers, or you are doing some EJing. Both are okay. I love trying new things. But those years where I bought 4-8 different blades, well, that was more than me buying the equipment I needed to play.

If anyone has seen rokphish's collection of blades, it may make you drool, it may make you laugh or cry. When someone can afford it and buys whatever he wants with swagger, I have nothing but admiration for him. But that is recreational spending.

And if someone wanted to be frugal they can spend very little per year and still have excellent equipment.

Ask Der_Echte for ways to get a darn good setup for under USD $80.00. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, it's not always true, but I presume that players, using more expensive rubbers, change them more often, plus that they usually use more expensive blades.
And on the opposite side - players with cheaper blades and cheaper rubbers change rubbers not so often /plus that most of the cheaper rubbers have longer life/.
That can make the gap between them more than double.

I would add a separate category to the poll - "a Butterfly player"

I get what you are saying but I am not sure all of your assumptions fit:

1) I know people who use more expensive rubbers because they last longer and so, they change the rubbers less frequently. However, I do also know people who use more expensive rubbers and change them every few weeks.

2) I know people who use less expensive rubbers who change them quite frequently precisely because they cost so much less that it is easy to change them without hurting their wallet. But I also know people with inexpensive rubbers who use them for ages before getting new rubbers.

3) And I am not so sure that the less expensive equipment always lasts longer than the more expensive stuff. Butterfly blades are more expensive but they are well built and last a long time because they are very durable. Many less expensive blades are pretty easy to damage and do not last as long. Tenergy rubbers can last a long long time. Dawei 2008XP is excellent for an $8 rubber. But it oxidizes quite fast and does not hold its grip for very long.

But the general idea that some people use more expensive equipment and some people go with less expensive equipment that has a higher value is a worthwhile observation.

And a separate category for people who use Butterfly is an entertaining idea. I guess we could also make a separate category for the people who want the special "custom" "national" unavailable DHS products like Ma Long's personal rubber for 150£ a sheet or the W968 blade for 350£ might go in a separate category too. But those DHS rubbers, even the expensive ones, can last for years. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
18-20 rubbers (mostly tenergy) a year and maybe 1-2 blades.

That's a lot. So maybe you are a pro and train twice a day 5 times per week or smth?
Can I edit the poll at this stage to add extra price levels? (Don't want to mess smth trying...)

P.S Idea about separate category for Butterfly is hilarious :)

Last edited:
How much do we spend on broken balls per year? :D

I used to spend $200-$300 a year in Korea on balls alone. A 6 pack of quality *** would last a week as hard as Korean J-Penners hit. $10 for six 3x a week adds up quick.

When I quit using seamed balls and turned to seamless, the calculations results made the seamless more than 4 times cheaper.