Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
boll wins , very smart play placing slow high arc balls with loads of spin in shibaev's BH, alexander was trying to kill it and I think he missed every BH kill he tried. its a pity he cracked down in the last two sets, he could have won

Boll did really well with his reverse pendulum serve as well. He got at least 3 points in the last set from that serve

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Timo Boll has very little to no chance of getting past the next round. He is too old and slow to compete. It shows.

He definitely is after his injury but he plays against quadri aruna, timo is far more consistent/smarter player than CCY and he will definitely not underestimate the nigerian

p.s. aruna has great FH but his BH is mediocre, he can cover all the table with his fantastic FH but if timo pins him on the BH side I dont think he will have a problem winning the match

Last edited:
My match analysis:

Although Timo won, I don't think his performance was quite that impressive to be honest.
Shibaev won a LOT of points against Timo with his fast BH counter against Timo's banana flick. Also using a tactic that the chinese players like to use against Timo: attacking the middle of BH of Timo and staying there as to force Timo to turn around, giving them a much easier ball to finish the point. Timo didn't have a lot of problems with Shibaev's serve, due to his touch, but he DID have some problems with Shibaev's speed, which was greater than Timo's.

In return, Timo won a lot of points with service variations, mixing up his returns and staying close to the table, putting pressure on Shibaev's FH under pressure. Even serving over half long as to force Shibaev to engage his FH, so Timo could counter attack it close to the table with his FH. Timo lost three sets mostly because his banana flicks were too predictable/slow, especially focusing on Shi's BH and not his weaker FH.

In the decider, Timo served mostly short/ half long FH or middle of the table so Shi could not use his BH flick or be too aggressive on the return. With his reverse pendulum, he won 3-4 straight points mixing it up, which was smart indeed. Also returning his banana flicks closer to the lines on the table in a much more upward motion, giving trouble to Shibaev missing 3-4 BH's. Smart tactics of Boll there.

But the biggest issue here is Timo's speed. I really feel and notice that Timo is getting older. His movement wasn't sharp, especially to the deep FH and when turning around the BH. If he plays like this, I don't think he can give Ma Long, Zang Jike or even Dima a run for their money, although his tactics are first class, I really feel he needs to step it up in the next matches.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great win for Paul there. Dealt with the tension better than I did, and I was only watching it. New pants for me.

OMG this is funny.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My match analysis:

Although Timo won, I don't think his performance was quite that impressive to be honest.
Shibaev won a LOT of points against Timo with his fast BH counter against Timo's banana flick. Also using a tactic that the chinese players like to use against Timo: attacking the middle of BH of Timo and staying there as to force Timo to turn around, giving them a much easier ball to finish the point. Timo didn't have a lot of problems with Shibaev's serve, due to his touch, but he DID have some problems with Shibaev's speed, which was greater than Timo's.

In return, Timo won a lot of points with service variations, mixing up his returns and staying close to the table, putting pressure on Shibaev's FH under pressure. Even serving over half long as to force Shibaev to engage his FH, so Timo could counter attack it close to the table with his FH. Timo lost three sets mostly because his banana flicks were too predictable/slow, especially focusing on Shi's BH and not his weaker FH.

In the decider, Timo served mostly short/ half long FH or middle of the table so Shi could not use his BH flick or be too aggressive on the return. With his reverse pendulum, he won 3-4 straight points mixing it up, which was smart indeed. Also returning his banana flicks closer to the lines on the table in a much more upward motion, giving trouble to Shibaev missing 3-4 BH's. Smart tactics of Boll there.

But the biggest issue here is Timo's speed. I really feel and notice that Timo is getting older. His movement wasn't sharp, especially to the deep FH and when turning around the BH. If he plays like this, I don't think he can give Ma Long, Zang Jike or even Dima a run for their money, although his tactics are first class, I really feel he needs to step it up in the next matches.

It is interesting, sometimes a mediocre performance like this predicts the end is near for a player like Timo. But sometimes it shakes them up and gets them in a groove to pull a match like that out when the player was down and comes back. So it could spark him to up his level. We shall see what happens with Timo.