Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Yes I've seen him blocking with his backhand several times before counter-attacking. Thats surely what he wanted to do but missed his block.
Changing peace is also a strategy I've seen him using several times, even if most of the time he's attacking almost everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yes I've seen him blocking with his backhand several times before counter-attacking. Thats surely what he wanted to do but missed his block.
Changing peace is also a strategy I've seen him using several times, even if most of the time he's attacking almost everything.
yeah, you are right, I didnt mean that he never blocks. But, the way he blocks was uncommital. In the last set, after scorign the first point, he lost the next 4 points by blocking passively, Except for the 4th one, the rest were unforced errors. There are no unforced errors in ML's game. That percentage is significantly less and that makes him number 1. When he plays non commital, that is his pussy mode. But, a normal one for rest of others and the rest aren't world champions either

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Rio Olympics 2016

After years of preparation, ML is still afraid to face olympics. Just shows why LGL picked ZJK for 2012. Don''t choke Ma long/

LGL did not pick anyone for 2012 Olympics. By the IOC (International Olympic Committee) rules for qualification for 2012, the first Qualifier in June 2011 for 2012 Olympics was WANG HAO. The second was ZJK. Ma Long did not qualify for singles. Even if the idea of using the World Ranking from June 2011 (just after 2011 WTTC) was idiotic (which it was and why they changed the qualification process) it doesn't change the FACT that Ma Long simply did not qualify for 2012.

This year LGL did pick ZJK over FZD and XX who would have qualified ahead of him. But in 2012, the choice was not LGL's. Wang Hao and ZJK won their spots by the rules put in place by the IOC. End of story.

This year's qualification rules had a loophole that allowed LGL to choose ZJK over FZD and XX. But that was not the case in 2012.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
yeah, you are right, I didnt mean that he never blocks. But, the way he blocks was uncommital. In the last set, after scorign the first point, he lost the next 4 points by blocking passively, Except for the 4th one, the rest were unforced errors. There are no unforced errors in ML's game. That percentage is significantly less and that makes him number 1. When he plays non commital, that is his pussy mode. But, a normal one for rest of others and the rest aren't world champions either

Indeed he played a bit passive, probably to change the peace and disturb Aruna, I don't think he was fearing anything, regarding the way he came back, after seeing that this wasnt effective.

About the unforced errors, ye they're really rare, so rare that we notice them too much when they happen.

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Indeed he played a bit passive, probably to change the peace and disturb Aruna, I don't think he was fearing anything, regarding the way he came back, after seeing that this wasnt effective.

About the unforced errors, ye they're really rare, so rare that we notice them too much when they happen.

K it didn't happen today, but against jeung youngsik, Ma long played the backhand game of Jeung. He never does that, by that I mean he never plays other's games. He makes them to play his game which is far superior to anyone. That again shows something is wrong, but to give credit to him, he created his own problems and finally solved them. Against Mizutani, it is gonna be an easy run. So, probably he will meet ZJK at final which was everyone's fantasy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
LGL did not pick anyone for 2012 Olympics. By the IOC (International Olympic Committee) rules for qualification for 2012, the first Qualifier in June 2011 for 2012 Olympics was WANG HAO. The second was ZJK. Ma Long did not qualify for singles. Even if the idea of using the World Ranking from June 2011 (just after 2011 WTTC) was idiotic (which it was and why they changed the qualification process) it doesn't change the FACT that Ma Long simply did not qualify for 2012.

This year LGL did pick ZJK over FZD and XX who would have qualified ahead of him. But in 2012, the choice was not LGL's. Wang Hao and ZJK won their spots by the rules put in place by the IOC. End of story.

This year's qualification rules had a loophole that allowed LGL to choose ZJK over FZD and XX. But that was not the case in 2012.

Yeah CNT have their reasons suited to their needs. Well, Ma long was number 1 at that time isn't it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
LGL did not pick anyone for 2012 Olympics. By the IOC (International Olympic Committee) rules for qualification for 2012, the first Qualifier in 2011 for 2012 Olympics was WANG HAO. The second was ZJK. Ma Long did not qualify for singles.

seriously Carl i admire your patience its hialrious. im more than bored to reply 4 years after the 2012 olympics and still there is the fairytale drama of LGL picking wang hao or zjk over ma long . I mean daaaaaamn

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Rio Olympics 2016

K it didn't happen today, but against jeung youngsik, Ma long played the backhand game of Jeung. He never does that, by that I mean he never plays other's games. He makes them to play his game which is far superior to anyone. That again shows something is wrong, but to give credit to him, he created his own problems and finally solved them. Against Mizutani, it is gonna be an easy run. So, probably he will meet ZJK at final which was everyone's fantasy

This shows that you didn't understand what you watched. JYS did a great job of keeping ML's FH out of the match. When ML started pinning JYS to the BH side he started controlling the points.

Without the intelligent tactics of controlling the BH corner, ML would not have started getting his FH into the match and really could have lost.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
This shows that you didn't understand what you watched. JYS did a great job of keeping ML's FH out of the match. When ML started pinning JYS to the BH side he started controlling the points.

My point was he was testing whether JYS backhand was strong enough or not. He did that during the first couple of sets, then changed the plan. In the last set, the complex arose again and he lost some points until LGL came back and shove the racket into his mouth and take the round back home

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

Against Jung I totally agree he totally chocked. But he had the strenght to come back, and as you said solved his own issue. But people call for chock so rapidly when Ma Long misses something, as if he was supposed to win all his games 4-0 11-1 11-1 11-1 11-1.

I dont think either that he will have big problems against Mizutani, even if Jun is playing reallyyyy well nowadays, Ma knows how to deal with it and his ratio against him is a good proof of that.

But in the final, alone against ZJK (if he wins Vladi ofc), it will be a different story. Hope he can hold his nerves without Liu Guoliand in an Olympic final. If not, ZJK wins for sure. If yes, tight match, hard to predict but slightly advantage for Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
also about the olympic system of qualification, there is no perfect "fair and square" system, every country can fix no matter the system the olympic committee choses. if for example the 2 single spots were to be decided in qualification tournaments then LGL would still send zjk and ma long. but I guess federations of countries have some influence and can negotiate with the olympic committee or ITTF to find a balance system.

only knockout qualifications @ olympics for example are probably unfair to miss for those who are high ranked but had minor or major injuries and failed to attend

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
seriously Carl i admire your patience its hialrious. im more than bored to reply 4 years after the 2012 olympics and still there is the fairytale drama of LGL picking wang hao or zjk over ma long . I mean daaaaaamn

Well the stats can speak for them. But, i clearly remember LGL sitting nearby Ma long and consoling him when Wang Hao played ZJK for the gold medal. ML's face showed something didn't go well. IF somebody knows chinese we could find those videos to know what LGL felt about ML.

There are no fanatsies, it is black and white because they picked ZJK over FZD and XX against the rules

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well the stats can speak for them. But, i clearly remember LGL sitting nearby Ma long and consoling him when Wang Hao played ZJK for the gold medal. ML's face showed something didn't go well. IF somebody knows chinese we could find those videos to know what LGL felt about ML.

There are no fanatsies, it is black and white because they picked ZJK over FZD and XX against the rules

against the rules? have you even read the rules? come on man im not even getting into a pointless conversation, know your stuff better. federations have the right to deny an invitation and thats what happened. if u think it is unfair that is your problem, the rules are crystal clear. bye!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Against Jung I totally agree he totally chocked. But he had the strenght to come back, and as you said solved his own issue. But people call for chock so rapidly when Ma Long misses something, as if he was supposed to win all his games 4-0 11-1 11-1 11-1 11-1.

I dont think either that he will have big problems against Mizutani, even if Jun is playing reallyyyy well nowadays, Ma knows how to deal with it and his ratio against him is a good proof of that.

But in the final, alone against ZJK (if he wins Vladi ofc), it will be a different story. Hope he can hold his nerves without Liu Guoliand in an Olympic final. If not, ZJK wins for sure. If yes, tight match, hard to predict but slightly advantage for Ma Long.

Jun has complex for CNT. HE was 10-3 ahead of XX in some world tour last year till he choked. There is no way he is playing well against ML. probably something like 4-1. ML never gets choked against those who get choked at his sight. So, the real test is the gold medal. Let's see. If ML proves himself against ZJK, I ll never watch table tennis again. I m sure it is not gonna happen :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am not going to get into the silliness of the arguing that is going on here. But, as a moderator, I am going to say, if you guys don't stop throwing insults at each other, I am going to start deleting posts and have Dan look at the bad behavior that you are displaying.

Well, actually, I am about to delete a few posts now where one person is insulting another.

But, Siva, this thing that on the internet gets called trolling, YOU are doing it. And you should stop.

I pointed out rules. If you don't know the rules for qualification for 2012 Olympics or 2016 Olympics, you should look them up. And based on your comments, this is not a biased statement, it is simply a FACT, based on your comments, you are unfortunately unaware of the rules for qualification for either Olympic games mentioned.

So go read up. But no more name calling and no more personal insults.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Question : If Samsonov loses to Zhang Jike , does he still get a bronze or is there a third place play off ?

And I did not think I would be saying this in this olympics , even though Zhang Jike has a better chance to beat Ma Long than anybody else right now, I would still root for the Evergreen Tree when he plays Jike ... , but if he manages to beat him , he better beat Ma Long .... ! :p ...

Sorry @NextLevel , our man got a little too nervous is what I think , why else so many half long serves ... I think that handed the initiative to Ma Long in the 2nd set and he just got to a higher place mentally after that ...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Pussy Ma Long actually did so much better against an improved Aruna than the manly Zhang Jike. Does this make ZJK an even bigger pussy? Lol

Honestly, I think we will see ZJK back to his usual routine if him and ML meets in the final. Touch his back when it's out and cho like an obnoxious kid when it's in.

You can see the mentality of champs in game. They don't always dominate but they win, even if it's ugly. They show their grit. Thing that some people here don't understand.

In the meantime, go Vladimir!!!

Last edited: