Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to be a bit less provocative. I don't have anything against Aruna, despite that I think his BH could be a bit better, and his FH doesn't look the most aestethic. I wish him all the best in this tournament and the future. HE is exactly what table tennis needs: a breath of fresh air. Love watching him play his heart out on court :) And I am sure I am not the only won with this opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
You can't bring me into this conversation at all, I never had any problems about Quadri Aruna's performance and I didnt make any specific comments about that as well. It is all our preconceived notions. I am sorry NL, you are going over the board many a times

hmm ! some serious inception shiznit right there

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You can't bring me into this conversation at all, I never had any problems about Quadri Aruna's performance and I didnt make any specific comments about that as well. It is all our preconceived notions. I am sorry NL, you are going over the board many a times

You made specific comments about Achanta's and Aruna's forehands being not correct because they don't finish across the body as much as you think they should - you can disown these comments now, but that is okay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
You made specific comments about Achanta's and Aruna's forehands being not correct because they don't finish across the body as much as you think they should - you can disown these comments now, but that is okay.

Ha ha that is so funny, Speaking about forehands doesn't mean anything about their performance or success in matchplay. You can conect in whatever way you want, then it is just your opinion not mine

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to be a bit less provocative. I don't have anything against Aruna, despite that I think his BH could be a bit better, and his FH doesn't look the most aestethic. I wish him all the best in this tournament and the future. HE is exactly what table tennis needs: a breath of fresh air. Love watching him play his heart out on court :) And I am sure I am not the only won with this opinion.

Sure. A breath of fresh air. Thanks for the comments - they speak for themselves. Maybe as a Nigerian, I watch Aruna more closely than most people. And I will tell you that the backhand he has now is light years ahead of the backhand he had in September last year. In fact, that is one of his largest areas of improvement. I can see it in the confidence, I can see it in the technique. His forehand is no less based on special talent than Timo Boll. But of course, he is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the comments - they speak for themselves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ha ha that is so funny, Speaking about forehands doesn't mean anything about their performance or success in matchplay. You can conect in whatever way you want, then it is just your opinion not mine

Of course. So if someone had pointed out how bad Timo Boll's forehand is technically (the Chinese say it is), and I mock the person after Timo Boll beats a Chen Qi, for example, I am making the same kind of joke. People can read into it anything they want. But since it is Aruna, rather than say that I am Nigerian and an overly zealous patriot, they are accusing me of bringing in race, saying that Aruna's technique is superior to Boll, and now saying that I am doing out of place things.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
Of course. So if someone had pointed out how bad Timo Boll's forehand is technically (the Chinese say it is), and I mock the person after Timo Boll beats a Chen Qi, for example, I am making the same kind of joke. People can read into it anything they want. But since it is Aruna, rather than say that I am Nigerian and an overly zealous patriot, they are accusing me of bringing in race, saying that Aruna's technique is superior to Boll, and now saying that I am doing out of place things.

I said the same for Achanta as well. So, it is again your opinion not mine. Sorry

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Hmmm... everyone stay calm and just enjoy the Olympics!)) as for Timo - he is finished. Slow, predictable, lethargic....etc. Cant understand why everyone is surprised he has crashed out? It was on the cards yesterday against shibaev. Also, I predicted that malong would struggle against JYS - based on how he played Pitch yday... so no surprises there either. If Malong doesnt relax, he will not win the gold here - again. I think he wants it TOO much - which isnt helping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hmmm... everyone stay calm and just enjoy the Olympics!)) as for Timo - he is finished. Slow, predictable, lethargic....etc. Cant understand why everyone is surprised he has crashed out? It was on the cards yesterday against shibaev. Also, I predicted that malong would struggle against JYS - based on how he played Pitch yday... so no surprises there either. If Malong doesnt relax, he will not win the gold here - again. I think he wants it TOO much - which isnt helping.

well, no one can actually know each player's condition mentality and improvements. it was long ago since we saw quadri aruna and yes as you said boll is (for me probably) "finished".

Yeah we knew aruna is quite something since world cup 2014 but boll seemed to play really well after recovering from his injury in the german league, which of course is totally different than olympics. He even beat dima again in a preparation tournament

Anyway its common to judge players on previous or recent results, everybody was saying ZJK was an unfair choice for olympics but he pulled the mission off quite convincingly and without reaching top performance.

Finally im glad that jun seems not to have any composure/mentality problems, he just kept attacking the ball hard with gionis playing probably the match of his life and same situation with calderano who played fantastic but it wasnt enough

Hope we see a great match between ma long and mizu if things go as expected

Reactions: lawrence.monsieurr

Yeah, very sad that Timo couldn't raise his level today. As for Ma Long, I don't know. Maybe this was a turning point for him. I don't think it did any harm today having a difficult opponent. We'll see in the next rounds :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
It is sad that Timo is out, but it's understandable since everyone knows he's passed his prime. Still as a TImo fan I would have like to see him go farther.

I also agree that Aruna have improved quite a lot and is proving to be stronger than he ever was. We'll have to see how far he gets since he still has some improving to do if he wants to compete with the top players.

For Ma Long, I've always believed that he has the skills and talent to win but he still lets his emotions get in the way. Of course he's improved in that department but it's started to come back again because of how important winning gold will be for him. Hopefully he'll learn from this match and will be more focused moving forward.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is sad that Timo is out, but it's understandable since everyone knows he's passed his prime. Still as a TImo fan I would have like to see him go farther.

I also agree that Aruna have improved quite a lot and is proving to be stronger than he ever was. We'll have to see how far he gets since he still has some improving to do if he wants to compete with the top players.

For Ma Long, I've always believed that he has the skills and talent to win but he still lets his emotions get in the way. Of course he's improved in that department but it's started to come back again because of how important winning gold will be for him. Hopefully he'll learn from this match and will be more focused moving forward.

I would have rooted for Timo against anyone other than Aruna or Toriola. But after Aruna beat CCY, all I could do was hope.

For me, the CNT have always been too simultaneously technically sound and powerful for Aruna to stand a chance. So I am happy with where things are.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That I am having problem with Quadri Aruna winning against Timo. That sounds suspiciously rascistic

Sure. Race is only in the heads of those who see it. Like I said, I could have posed the same problem for any player. And I am Nigerian, so I am posing it so that if anyone has a problem with it, I will unleash my patriotic vitriol in their direction.