Schlager Carbon OFF +.......... What next?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys,

I'm curious as to people's thoughts towards this.

I played TT from 2000 until 2006 (decent standard in UK) - I've then only really played 1 season (10/11) before returning for this past season (due to work etc).

Playing 3/4 times per week in 3 local leagues (top division) and probably playing better than ever (compared with past seasons).

I dug out the old Schlager Carbon blades I had, and was surprised to see they are still the quickest Butterfly have ever made.

I initially used Tenergy 64 on both sides, before recently switching to Tenergy 05 on the forehand (keeping 64 on the backhand).

I enjoy the feel of the blades - There seems to be much less feeling than any other set up I've tried (in terms of actually feeling the ball on the bat) - Which I like (appreciate rubber comes into this too).

I'm considering changing to a new blade in the near future and was hoping to find comparisons to the Schlager Carbon online, but there doesn't seem to be many/any at all!

I've tried the Jun Mizutani ZLC and Super ZLC - However they both had Hurricane rubbers on so a very different feel to what Im used to. I liked the SZLC, but not sure it was much better than the Schlager Carbon I've already got!

I appreciate the speed is going to drop slightly, but that might be a good thing - Does anyone have any recommendations?

Playing style:

Forehand: Aggressive forehand loop - Mid distance.
Backhand: Close to the table punch/block - Mid distance loop.

All opinions appreciated :)

This user has no status.
if it ain't broke don't fix it... :D

unless you're having problems, just stick with it. especially you sounded like you're doing better and happy with it, don't get anything else just for the sake of getting something new. like when you're on winning streak, don't stop for time-out. :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

NDH

says Spin to win!
Thanks for the quick reply.

You make a valid point, and it's the reason I haven't bought one yet.

I suppose I was asking if there is something newer/better which you could compare with the Schlager.

Also..... People keep talking about "new blades" for the "new plastic balls" - how these blades are quicker than before to combat the slower speeds of the plastic ball..... Yet they don't seem much different (based on the butterfly chart) and are slower than some of the older blades like the Schlager.

Thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Thanks for the quick reply.

You make a valid point, and it's the reason I haven't bought one yet.

I suppose I was asking if there is something newer/better which you could compare with the Schlager.

Also..... People keep talking about "new blades" for the "new plastic balls" - how these blades are quicker than before to combat the slower speeds of the plastic ball..... Yet they don't seem much different (based on the butterfly chart) and are slower than some of the older blades like the Schlager.

Thoughts?

Yeah, my thinking is that half-distance play will die out in the elite levels with the plastic ball because it's so easy to block so the fastest possible equipment might not help if you are playing closer to the table anyway.

What a fail from ITTF though, they wanted to make rallies longer but players like Ma Long just started playing closer to the table to counter the speed loss of the plastic ball.

Reactions: DoctorPaco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I am also using Schlager Carbon off+, with Adidas Tenzone Ultra forehand and Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF backhand I used that set up for little less then 3 months.
I like the blade very much, I like the feel of the blade so solid with no vibration, speed is very fast, heavy topspins, I don't feel that the blade lacks in control in anyway for such a fast blade...

My only problem is with what rubbers I should replace my Adidas Tenzone ultra now that Adidas is out off table tennis...

Most people I play use slower set ups then mine, so when I am giving them my racket their speed is increased by 20-30% then I know how hard is to return balls that are launched from Schlager Carbon off+ :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi NDH.
As some have point out why change if you are happy with your setup? If you are curious to try something else I would recommend you to change either the blade or the rubbers one at a time. If you have some friends at the club who has a setup with Tenergy and a different blade than yours try those before deciding what to change. Remember you are the one choosing your equipment and the equipment that chooses you. It comes down to personal preference in the end.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
even though time has passed things haven't changed much.
you still got two basic types of butterfly blades.

the hinoki - composite - kiri - composite - hinoki

and the

koto/limba -composite - limba - kiri - limba- composite - koto/limba

inside those two subcategories they have been playing around for years but they haven't really invented anything new.
so everything is pretty much the same way it was 20 years ago.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Many Butterfly blades from the early 2000s are highly prized for their overall quality, weight balance, feel, and fetch huge prices when sold used. So if you can manage to keep the ball on the table with the Schlager, no reason to change (although I can't imagine playing one with T64 on it!!).

Like Kukamonga said, Btfly has tended to recycle some of their best ideas (especially ALC blades, and now their ZLC blades, in fact they just introduced to more new ones on the same basic model they have been using for 15 years.) However, it is interesting that they have not made anything since the Schlager to recycle that basic idea.

They did introduce an expensive new material, zylon and super-Zylon, which is best in a mesh with carbon. It is pretty popular. Ridiculously expensive, though.

My rule: Never buy a blade you haven't hit with.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, somebody at the club had a Garaydia ALC the other day. Very thick, very stiff and as you say, uber-fast. Not for me.

Reactions: Rajah*

NDH

says Spin to win!
Thanks again for all the input.

I've tried a few different ones, but none with European rubbers so the feel is impossible to compare with my current set up.

I saw the Garaydia series (although they are 5 ply compared with Schlager 7 ply). I've hit with the Garaydia ALC, seemed decent enough!

I guess I was just a bit surprised that in a time where technology is advancing every aspect of life and sport; and considering the supposed "tech" that goes into TT equipment, that Butterfly haven't come up with anything to rival the Schlager.

I see a lot of talk about new equipment "to combat the plastic ball" issues - Is this something which will continue do you think? Where every blade is "optimised" for the new ball (read into that what you will.....).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
even though time has passed things haven't changed much.
you still got two basic types of butterfly blades.

the hinoki - composite - kiri - composite - hinoki

and the

koto/limba -composite - limba - kiri - limba- composite - koto/limba

inside those two subcategories they have been playing around for years but they haven't really invented anything new.
so everything is pretty much the same way it was 20 years ago.

actually the most used blade today by the top players is viscaria.
a blade introduced what, 25 years ago?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing: the technology has not actually been about faster. It has been about hard surface with carbon + material like Arylate or Zylon that makes it fast but soft for increased dwell time. So, spin and control like an all wood blade with speed (almost) like a carbon blade. But, as already noted, that technology was in blades like the Viscaria and they KeyShot quite a while ago.

So, faster? I don't really think they have made anything faster than a Schlager Carbon. But they have made blades almost as fast that, for many are more easy to control.

It would be worth seeing how a Photino feels to you if you can find someone using one. It is interesting that they don't make a ZLC Photino. That might be a KRAZY crazy blade.

But you also should try out the Garaydia ZLC and the Garaydia T5000. That is, of course, if you can find someone using one of them.

For interest's sake, you make also want to see how a ZJK ZLC feels. I think the ZJK ZLC is faster than either of the ZJK SZLC blade and definitely faster than either the JM ZLC or the JM SZLC that you did try.

I doubt they will be any faster than the Schlager Carbon. But, that would be interesting to compare.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah*