Cant hit hard enough! Do I need new blade?

This user has no status.
Hi

Ive been playing with a cpen galaxy n9 blade with hurricane 3 neo forehand and focus 3 snipe backhand. This combo seems too fast for me I think. I cant loop the ball hard and land it on the table.
If I reduce my strike speed it works but it's annoying to adjust it all the time. I wanna go all out on every shot! :) Would a new blade do it for me or is it technique related?

This user has no status.
90% technique related. Everybody can drive fast with a Ferrari ;). If you have a good technique you can hit hard with everything by adjusting your muscle power, hitting point and so on. With a slower blade you have more options in my opinion. If you are a toplevel player who can take every shot on max. risk and you have 99% control in every situation it is perhaps different. For me it is easier to give more power if necessary than to play very very soft to even place the ball on the table... So i would suggest take a step down from the gas pedal work on your technique and see what blade is comforting your style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Even the pros dont go all out on every shot, so just forget about that if you want to develop your table tennis skills.

Watch a full match of top players, not the highlights and u will get my point.

Body and wrist acceleration at moment of contact require totally relaxed muscles. You dont have to "hit hard" you just have to learn to use your whole body in coordination with the ball. Hurricane rubbers require perfect technique, this means u will have to work on your technique again and again untill its perfect. And i dont only mean your strokes but your body balance and footwork also. Try playing with a tensor rubber for a change in your FH and experiment to see what fits you most.

Ask any coaches or experienced players in your club to tell you their opinion about your strokes or post us a video so we can help you. As for the blade/rubber combo, if it doesnt feels "perfect" in your hand then change it, my personal rule of thumb is "the paddle should be able to work as an extension of you whole body and especially your hand". So, it must feel perfect when you play, not to heavy, not too light, not too fast, not too slow...all these matters are personal perspective, so try different things and see what fits you most. Most of the times in amateur play the problem is technique as tt rogue pposted, not a matter of equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I wanna go all out on every shot! :)
Brush more when the ball is lower. The ball will travel slower but have lots of spin that will cause the ball to jump out at the opponent. It takes good timing and coordination to do this.

Would a new blade do it for me or is it technique related?
NO! What you have is fast enough.

When you hit the ball you can vary the amount of energy put into translational energy and rotational energy by how much you brush the ball. High loops are no good though. Think in terms of keep the ball within 4 inches/100 mm of the net and land the ball 4 inches or 100 mm from the edge of the table. The only exception to this rule is when you can double the bounce the ball on the other side of the table but then it is best to keep the ball within 2 inches of the net to avoid flicks. The better players do this without thinking and can execute more consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Thanks for the replies!

Im a experimenter. I try all kinds of strokes all the time to find the right one. I dont want to go all out on all shots but I want to put some effort on them if you know what I mean. With the current setup I can brush it hard but the formward motion should be very small almost no forward motion at all. If I go a little forward it will go out. When I receive a strong topspin ball it is very hard to make that small movement.

I know practice is important but I want to have the gears to make it easier to learn. Maybe a slower blade works better. I have a premade Stiga allround classic blade with Mendo rubbers I'll modify to make it more cpen friendly and give it a try. Hopefully it will be more forgiving. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you want to use more of your own power, always get a softer, slower blade - most players don't need more than OFF- to play well, though if you like OFF, it is okay. As my loops have gotten more powerful, since I don't move back from the table, I have been forced to use slower and slower blades. My current blade is ALL and I don't have any issues with it, and my training partners don't tell me that my loops are too slow either.