Zhang Jike or Xu Xin will Play Singles - Rio Olympics 2016!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Xu Xin has to win a world championship to prove his worth and he is the junior most in the group so he will definitely get his chance in 2020 .... somehow seniority by age plays a big part in such decision making in Asian cultures, how else can you explain that Mima Ito does not get a chance to play olympic singles whereas Ai Fukuhara does ... going by current performance I find this much more atrocious !!
So XX will never play Olympics ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Xu Xin has to win a world championship to prove his worth and he is the junior most in the group so he will definitely get his chance in 2020 .... somehow seniority by age plays a big part in such decision making in Asian cultures, how else can you explain that Mima Ito does not get a chance to play olympic singles whereas Ai Fukuhara does ... going by current performance I find this much more atrocious !!

Fukuhara was higher ranked through the qualification cycle held by the Japanese team and at the end of it as well. The top 2 played singles, the top 3 played teams. People make similar arguments about Yoshimura vs Koki Niwa but the rules are simply being followed as laid down by the JNT - top 2 players play singles, third player is added for teams.

I like it too but there is nothing similar to CNT. FZD is the Chinese #2 ranked player. He has performed well at many international events. It is the coach's perceptions that are going to keep him out if they do. What will be interesting is whether the rules allow China to not send him for singles but make him the backup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I was not aware of that I thought they chose Ai , thanks for the clarification @NextLevel
Fukuhara was higher ranked through the qualification cycle held by the Japanese team and at the end of it as well. The top 2 played singles, the top 3 played teams. People make similar arguments about Yoshimura vs Koki Niwa but the rules are simply being followed as laid down by the JNT - top 2 players play singles, third player is added for teams.

I like it too but there is nothing similar to CNT. FZD is the Chinese #2 ranked player. He has performed well at many international events. It is the coach's perceptions that are going to keep him out if they do. What will be interesting is whether the rules allow China to not send him for singles but make him the backup.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I will wait till the chips have fallen. I am still not sure what will happen. The highest ranked player up for qualification, the number 2 ranked player in the world is FZD. In my opinion, he has earned that slot by earning that ranking. If XX or ZJK play singles instead, it will mean that LGL did choose to manipulate the qualification process. But, if LGL had let XX, FZD and ZJK play the next round in the Asian Qualification Tournament, then one of those 3 would have earned their own right to participate. And it sounds like LGL would still have been able to accept who won or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I dont know if fan ever won against zhang.

That is funny .. are you so lazy or what?
Just go to http://ittf.com/_front_page/ittf2.asp?category=head_to_head1 and fill it in you will see..
But maybe you wont..
Zhang won in 2013 WTTC R32 4:0, then lost due to injury later in 2013 China Open, then lost 4:2 German open..
Last their meeting was Kuwait Open 2016 where Zhang won 4:1.
And countint in China superleague, where Fan beat everyone, the answer is: Yes, Fan beat Zhang Jike quite a few times..
Countint in Pro Tours and WTTC, its 2:2 but counting in Superleague it would be much more..
maybe 6:3 if I remember well.. 2 times Fan won this year and 1:1 previous year..
Or maybe someone got better stats..

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
Just go to http://ittf.com/_front_page/ittf2.asp?category=head_to_head1 and fill it in you will see..
But maybe you wont..
Zhang won in 2013 WTTC R32 4:0, then lost due to injury later in 2013 China Open, then lost 4:2 German open..
And countint in China superleague, where Fan beat everyone, the answer is: Yes, Fan beat Zhang Jike quite a few times..
Countint in Pro Tours and WTTC, its 2:2 but counting in Superleague it would be much more..
maybe 6:3 if I remember well.. 2 times Fan won this year and 1:1 previous year..

It all doesn't matter, who beat who before. Up their levels, lose or win a couple of games, which is normal. The important things: 1. How many big titles in the tournament (world cup, world championship and Olympics) you won before? 2. How is your performance recently? Obviously, Malong proved that he is most stable player in chinese national team, he did amazingly well last year and he got 2 big titles now. Xuxin is getting better all the time since he changed new coach Wujingping, but still no single titles so far. Fang zhendong is still too young, not enough experience. Definitely not him this time. Zhangjike has most big titles in the team at the moment, even he did not play well last year at all, with his back and shoulder injury, he did fight back recently and doing pretty well recently. And the other thing need to be mentioned clearly, the pressure from the big tournament is massive, you need to very strong mentally, so different from the smaller one and the super league.

Oct 2015
It all doesn't matter, who beat who before. Up their levels, lose or win a couple of games, which is normal. The important things: 1. How many big titles in the tournament (world cup, world championship and Olympics) you won before? 2. How is your performance recently? Obviously, Malong proved that he is most stable player in chinese national team, he did amazingly well last year and he got 2 big titles now. Xuxin is getting better all the time since he changed new coach Wujingping, but still no single titles so far. Fang zhendong is still too young, not enough experience. Definitely not him this time. Zhangjike has most big titles in the team at the moment, even he did not play well last year at all, with his back and shoulder injury, he did fight back recently and doing pretty well recently. And the other thing need to be mentioned clearly, the pressure from the big tournament is massive, you need to very strong mentally, so different from the smaller one and the super league.

Sorry, Xuxin did win men's single at world cup in 2013.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016

that's why you wanna be born in sweden so you can play 5 olympics like waldner or 7 like persson...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
But maybe you wont..
This is really funny. If u don't believe what I said above, let's wait and see:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
This is kind of unfair to both ZFD and XX. When's the last time that Zhang Jike was n.1 or even n.2?

Also in 2012 he was n.3, and was chosen because the olympics rules that year accepted the top 2 ranked players from the earlier year (2011).

If you ask me, ZJK is very lucky, because if the same olympic rules were applied this year, he wouldn't get in the olympics.

Last edited:
This is kind of unfair to both ZFD and XX. When's the last time that Zhang Jike was n.1 or even n.2?

Also in 2012 he was n.3, and was chosen because the olympics rules that year accepted the top 2 ranked players from the earlier year (2011).

If you ask me, ZJK is very lucky, because if the same olympic rules were applied this year, he wouldn't get in the olympics.
if you ask me WR doesnt really matter for ZJK

WTTC 2013 He came as WR no 4 and 4th seeded and...... Won the tournament
World Cup 2014 as WR no 4 again and..... epic barrier kicking

Oct 2015
Ranking doesn't mean everything to the whole Chinese national team . Every Chinese player knows that Malong and Zhangjike are the top two players in China at the moment, and Xuxin himself admited that as well when CCTV was doing the interview.

Last edited:
It unfair to not get Fan Zhendong action in the biggest of all events... Also it could be unfair for the viewers because I think most people would prefer see Fan Zhendong rather than Zhang Jike a player who has shown hardly any passion for the sport lately.
It would be interesting if TTdaily had a Poll on who would be our favorite slot2 player for the Olympics from China:p !

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
It unfair to not get Fan Zhendong action in the biggest of all events... Also it could be unfair for the viewers because I think most people would prefer see Fan Zhendong rather than Zhang Jike a player who has shown hardly any passion for the sport lately.
It would be interesting if TTdaily had a Poll on who would be our favorite slot2 player for the Olympics from China:p !
Ha, fans's opinions are really nothing for the people who can decide this:p. What they are concerned is how to secure this golden medal and make the most of it.

Reactions: ttmonster