Who do you think will win the Rio Olympics 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 106 67.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Dimitirj Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
anyone know mizutani's record with freitas? I'm praying my main man mizu gets bronze :)

According to ITTF's head to head statistics... 6-0 in favor of Mizutani. ;)

Naamloos.jpg

After watching the whole match between Samsonov and Ovtcharov, there are a few things that really strike me:

1) Samsonov had some luck in the last set, but Ovtcharov was up 8-4 and made 4 unforced errors, so it isn't with luck that Samsonov won
2) Dima looked nervous, played nervous and didn't display any smart tactics that were apparent to me (if I am wrong, please correct me)
3) Samsonov clearly suffered from his injury: he didn't move as well as he normally did. SO, Dima losing this match is even more a surprise.
4) Samsonov displayed some brilliant tactics here: pushing to the deep FH of Ovtcharov, as to force him to open the rally up and then putting pressure on him. Also, staying out of the longer rallies and Dima's BH on first notice. Letting Dima move from the deep FH all across the table, which is a weak point of Ovtcharov. Lastly, Vladi didn't use the banana flick often to open the game, as to break the rhythm of Dima, which worked fantastically.
5) And to end, the thing that surprised me the most was the performance, or even better, lack of mature performance from Dima. ALWAYS going full power, seemingly without thinking what he wanted to do during the point. Giving Vladi the opportunity to turn the tables in his favour, using the speed from Dima against him. Dima displaying MANY unforced errors during the match.

I am really dissappointed in the way both Timo and Dima played in the Singles Event. Both top 10 players ( Boll out of the top 10 atm, but certainly top 10 worthy). Both their performances and level of play were not what you would expect from them. Timo visually struggling with his movement and Ovtcharov really not playing as number 5 in the world would play in such an important tournament as this. His match against Li Ping was in my eyes also not the best. Consistency wise it was pretty shaky to say the least.

I do really hope that they can both learn from this, adapt, and redeem themselves in the Team Event.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
5) And to end, the thing that surprised me the most was the performance, or even better, lack of mature performance from Dima. ALWAYS going full power, seemly without thinking what he wanted to do during the point. Giving Vladi the opportunity to turn the tables in his favour, using the speed from Dima against him. Dima displaying MANY unforced errors during the match.

Dima overpowered everybody in ETTC 2015, probably he thought that he would get away with that this time.

Reactions: Siva Schopenhauer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
haha Marcos was 10-9 in the 2nd game he chopped the ball and Jun Mizutani missed an easy ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Freitas needs a new tactic asap : P

yup he relies on his rallying abilities but what else can he do he probably knows he cannot outwit jun in the opening phase/short game flicking. he is super aggressive, win some lose some it think it all boils down on how jun handles the game