TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi allYes thank you
I think the shadow training is very useful and helps a great deal.
Much as it makes Suzanne laugh, I have cheap bats in the kitchen lounge, and bathroom.
So just have a few strokes when I'm in each room....but it all adds up!
I really believe in the Chinese training philosophy of groove the stroke...again again and again until there's only one stroke in the muscle memory.
Apologies if I'm repeating myself but it goes back before flying when I was a fanatical golfer from the age of 6. I used to stand posing at various stages in the swing, getting the feeling of each stage.
I would get my dad to buy loads of Polaroid instant films to take hundreds of shots as my swing developed. I was very determined to have a technically perfect swing.
I was a scratch player at 12 and improved to +2 by 14, at the time one of only 12, + handicap players in the UK! A great deal due to my version of shadow training
Tomorrow I've one hour lesson with Amila then training with Anthony

Yes I did notice the swinging across my body so tomorrow when we do topspin I'll work on slowing it down. I've messaged him to ask to look at long slow looping topspin shots

Andy

Good stuff - just don't skip the practice off drop! If you have to, do it in front of Amila!

This user has no status.
For me as well, the shadow training is of unlimited value. Started 5 years ago with training at the table and shadowtraining at home in front of a mirror, after a 25 year period of "cellar play".
You can imgine I had quite some bad habits to correct. Without continuous shadowplay I wouldn't have been able to reach the level I have today.

Also here cheap bats in the living and bedroom. Shadowplay at least 5 minutes per day but most times more.

Furthermore in addition to USDCarl, you could try the TT University Extreme Footwork and Explosive Power DVD's for Table Tennis tailored workouts at home. I use them on weekly base and they really improve your footwork and stamina. The workouts are exactly 20 minutes and include a warmup and cooldown, which you can also use before and after a table tennis match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The one thing I will say for Andy is that his shadow training has improved the general waist rotation and body turn and made it feel more natural for him to do the rotation while swinging. Even as the stroke being grooved was imperfect, the physical effects on his hip/waist/core/shoulder rotation were great for him.

I found the physical changes to his body movements impressive as I watched them on video and I am even more impressed with how some of it is translating into his drills. In other words, there were benefits even with the imperfect technique. Better technique will likely enhance them.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
The one thing I will say for Andy is that his shadow training has improved the general waist rotation and body turn and made it feel more natural for him to do the rotation while swinging. Even as the stroke being grooved was imperfect, the physical effects on his hip/waist/core/shoulder rotation were great for him.

I found the physical changes to his body movements impressive as I watched them on video and I am even more impressed with how some of it is translating into his drills. In other words, there were benefits even with the imperfect technique. Better technique will likely enhance them.

Right NextLevel, what I like about Andy is he is out there walking-the-walk and he is going to improve as he is willing to put in the time. He hasn't got it perfect yet, but there are definitely improvements.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Right NextLevel, what I like about Andy is he is out there walking-the-walk and he is going to improve as he is willing to put in the time. He hasn't got it perfect yet, but there are definitely improvements.

The video on my counterspin had me rethinking what the meanings of "full face of the bat" and "swinging shallow" were and I have a better appreciation of what was wrong with my shadow stroke now.

One of the benefits of this video analysis of my counterloop is that it has enabled me to see that many of my shots that I used to think were shallow actually do get to eye level and that I need to make sure that my shadow is correct. I had a shot sequence where I hit a ball (a blocked return) off the bounce as hard as I ever remember hitting it and in my head, the shot was shallow. But when I reviewed the tape, the swing was actually pretty good. There is hope for me after all.

If you want to see the sequence:

https://youtu.be/M7uL_fT_EjI?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtTeKr5MkJtK4O1RKoMAeK74&t=2562

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
The video on my counterspin had me rethinking what the meanings of "full face of the bat" and "swinging shallow" were and I have a better appreciation of what was wrong with my shadow stroke now.

One of the benefits of this video analysis of my counterloop is that it has enabled me to see that many of my shots that I used to think were shallow actually do get to eye level and that I need to make sure that my shadow is correct. I had a shot sequence where I hit a ball (a blocked return) off the bounce as hard as I ever remember hitting it and in my head, the shot was shallow. But when I reviewed the tape, the swing was actually pretty good. There is hope for me after all.

If you want to see the sequence:

https://youtu.be/M7uL_fT_EjI?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtTeKr5MkJtK4O1RKoMAeK74&t=2562

NextLevel, I downloaded that match last night and I will go through those shots later. At first glance, they look shallow to me for this exact situation, but need to take a closer look. I will post video here later.

As a rough guide, it's good to stop over the eyes about 80% of the time (yes arbitrary percentage) to ensure you are getting enough spin, lift and dip to be consistent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NextLevel, I downloaded that match last night and I will go through those shots later. At first glance, they look shallow to me for this exact situation, but need to take a closer look. I will post video here later.

As a rough guide, it's good to stop over the eyes about 80% of the time (yes arbitrary percentage) to ensure you are getting enough spin, lift and dip to be consistent.

Oh well, I guess I will have to celebrate making the shot and then move on to fixing it...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think that was the big deal with me in that as an aggressive hitter earlier in my career, I often punched loops over the table. I think that was what really cemented the bag technique - the seduction of being able to win the point with am aggressive early block. However, as I got better, loops became more powerful and harder to track and take early and players became more skilled at varying shot depth and spin. I can still make that bad technique block for an awesome winner. But more often, I struggle with it.

What I need to do is stop trying to win shots with my flat block and accept that there are more sophisticated and reliable shots for doing that. People who watch me today don't know this but I used to have a very strong backhand hit vs underspin. The reason they don't know is that the shot virtually disappeared from my game as soon as I started backhand looping backspin. I can still do it occasionally against a pips player or for some high balls but it is no longer a major feature.of my game.

My forehand block taking the ball very early is likely going to go the same way.

Reactions: gmiller2233
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One step at a time, the body learns the right movements.

And rheumatoid arthritis is no joke. That is not at all like osteo-arthritis.

Getting your level over 2000 with that in your way is not easy.

Sent from TheDepthsOfTartarus via TheHouseOfHades

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is interesting how sometimes the shadow work helps you get the right movement and other times having the ball there helps you get the right movement for the shadow steps as well. And going back and forth you get your stroke closer to your shadow stroke when the shadow stroke is better and you get your shadow stroke closer to the real stroke when it is off.

When I used to do shadow footwork/stroke patterns I would move instantly to the next spot while I was doing what I thought was resetting. Trouble is, with real footwork when placement is random, there is a pause, a hesitation, where you are neutral ready to set for a BH or an FH while you watch where the next ball will go before moving to it.

When I learned to have that hesitation in my shadow, it looked less like a graceful dance but was more true to the real thing and ultimately, learning that, helped my ability to move to the next ball better and the graceful dance didn't really address the actual issue.

Hey, is that NextLevel doing a crossover step on a Segway?

Gotta Go!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
One step at a time, the body learns the right movements.

And rheumatoid arthritis is no joke. That is not at all like osteo-arthritis.

Getting your level over 2000 with that in your way is not easy.

When I learned to have that hesitation in my shadow, it looked less like a graceful dance but was more true to the real thing and ultimately, learning that, helped my ability to move to the next ball better and the graceful dance didn't really address the actual issue.

I find your statements interesting in light of why I am trying to do this. While I may or may not use these movements in matches as much as I would hope to, I want my body to perform more like that of a TT player. And I think trying these things out and learning them makes me think more like one and helps me understand the game better. Andy's work really inspired me because he really changed a lot after all the shadow stroking.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl