WTT Champions Xinxiang 2023

Got it. Prior offenders have not been suspended for similar things.
So it's allowed in the future that everyone can throw? 🤔
And it is allowed that you can serve from above the tabel from now on? Nobody sees that?
Then also take away those regulations and referees! Incredible!
Okay good to know! 🥴 :D

Reactions: NextLevel
says Kristian Karlsson is the goat
Dec 2022
No, I find it strange too. Apparently, decades ago, the WTT set rules that no longer apply to everyday table tennis.
After throwing the racket (almost hitting a photographer) and serving over/above the table, those are two things that are clearly tolerated now.
Ruwen just shouldn't have been there and especially Lim JH (and many others) should have had many points deducted long ago.
why is that? That is honestly so dumb.

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Yeah that's what i thought, really strange if you ask me.
As I’ve already said in another thread talking about Ruwen, one of my team mates has been banned for nearly a whole year by the french federation for a similar racket throw. It’s indeed strange, it’s Germany today: giving tanks to Ukraine to fight Russia, but at the same time helping Russia to build a new automotive industry…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Does anyone else notice that Wang Chuqin genuinely likes and respects Liang Jingkun? I wonder what the story behind that is? They usually give each other bro hugs after their matches...
LJK is the most european of all CNT players, he keeps on showing his mind, his individuality, in a country like China is it’s something special, and I really love him for that matter. He throws rackets on the table, makes silly celebrations, wears different color shoes, but always respects EVERYONE. If he were french he‘d be in protests throwing bananas to the brav-m racists cops hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Some fantastic matches in this tournament, with the top ranked players getting caught by the field - I am thinking of FZD, ML, WCQ, TH and among the women WMY and CM - all of these either eliminated or else just clinging on by their fingertips. Of course the women's event is now less compelling, because it's all-Chinese in the semis, but the rise of Chen Xingtong and Wang Yidi to match the top three has been on the cards for some time: the sheer speed of their counter-hitting is a wonder to behold. In the men's let's see if the rising stars of Korea and Taiwan can reach the summit! Lin Yun-Ju seems to have added some more muscle and power to his game - I somehow think that all four semifinalists favour their BHs, as does Lin Shidong -and I do agree that his match vs FZD was "out of this world".

This user has no status.
LJK is the most european of all CNT players, he keeps on showing his mind, his individuality, in a country like China is it’s something special, and I really love him for that matter. He throws rackets on the table, makes silly celebrations, wears different color shoes, but always respects EVERYONE. If he were french he‘d be in protests throwing bananas to the brav-m racists cops hahaha
Most of the CNT have quite strong personalities and individuality - it's just that English media doesn't report a lot about them and that they don't express much of their thoughts in English. LJK's behaviour is not something "special" so to speak.

Dec 2022
I don't understand your question
you said this "
Apparently, decades ago, the WTT set rules that no longer apply to everyday table tennis.
After throwing the racket (almost hitting a photographer) and serving over/above the table, those are two things that are clearly tolerated now
" and I ask why they did that. Like why they set the rules to be like that.

you said this "
Apparently, decades ago, the WTT set rules that no longer apply to everyday table tennis.
After throwing the racket (almost hitting a photographer) and serving over/above the table, those are two things that are clearly tolerated now
" and I ask why they did that. Like why they set the rules to be like that.
Why are there rules? I think they make rules to get uniformity about behavior, fair play, services, rubbers, clothing, etc...
They then translate these into regulations.
If those regulations are no longer to be followed, I think this may be communicated to all their affiliated members worldwide by pointing out to them that certain rules from the regulations no longer have to be observed since they have been deleted from their regulations.
As far as I know, not a single (old) rule about behavior, and/or illegal services has been removed to date. So they must be adhered to until further notice.
If it's all allowed at this (WTT/ITTF) level, I don't think referees should be reprimanded at the table at the national and/or local level.
My 2cents

This user has no status.
I noticed that Lim Jonghoon is adopting the serve receive position with the right foot in front now rather than the unconventional left foot in front position (for a lefty). Quite interesting that he changed something so fundamental in his game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
So it all boils down to China vs China in both finals. They have come through some severe tests. Above all they will be pleased that Liang Jingkun, Lin Shidong, Wang Yidi and Chen Xingtong are stepping up to match the elite players they have at the top, who will not be able to bear the burden of expectation for ever. I suppose in particular Ma Long and Chen Meng will not be there for many more years. Whoever is advising LJK (Wang Hao?) is doing a great job, as he now shows greater concentration, discipline and tactical awareness.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBayTableTennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Wow Lim Jonghoon is attacking like a madman now and all of his crazy shots are landing - will he close this out?!
He came so desperately close - a truly world class performance and he pushed FZD to his absolute limit today and should be very proud when the disappointment wears off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He came so desperately close - a truly world class performance and he pushed FZD to his absolute limit today and should be very proud when the disappointment wears off.
I am sure he surpassed his own expectations and he played amazing. As zeio said at mytt, he showed his beating Wang Chuqin was not a fluke.

I never tire of telling the story of my high-level coach friend watching Lim as a junior and thinking that this was a potential Olympic gold medallist. It is good that people are now seeing some of the things that triggered that statement. Think about it, at the 2021 WTTC, he eliminated LYJ in a very close match, and had Moregardh down 0-3 before Moregardh started messing with his head. Then he beats WCQ at the Asia Cup but loses to Harimoto in the final. At this tournament, he beats his nemesis in recent times, Harimoto, convincingly. I remember reading a comment somewhere that said that the main reason he made the semifinal of this tournament is that there were no Chinese in his quarter lol. His play addressed those comments. I just hope he stays healthy enough to build on it.

This user has no status.
LJH vs top players h2h:
1-4, 3-4 Ma Long (12-14 in the decider)
0-3, 3-4 Fan Zhendong (9-11 in the decider)
4-1, 0-4, 1-4 Xu Xin
1-4, 4-3 Wang Chuqin
0-4, 2-3 Liang Jingkun
3-0 Lin Gaoyuan
0-3, 4-3, 3-1 Lin Yun-ju
4-3, 4-0, 1-3, 1-4, 3-1 Harimoto Tomokazu
4-3, 3-1, 4-2, 3-2, 3-2 Aruna Quadri
4-0, 3-4 Truls Moregard (once 3-0 lead)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
LJH vs top players h2h:
1-4, 3-4 Ma Long (12-14 in the decider)
0-3, 3-4 Fan Zhendong (9-11 in the decider)
4-1, 0-4, 1-4 Xu Xin
1-4, 4-3 Wang Chuqin
0-4, 2-3 Liang Jingkun
3-0 Lin Gaoyuan
0-3, 4-3, 3-1 Lin Yun-ju
4-3, 4-0, 1-3, 1-4, 3-1 Harimoto Tomokazu
4-3, 3-1, 4-2, 3-2, 3-2 Aruna Quadri
4-0, 3-4 Truls Moregard (once 3-0 lead)
Wait when did he win 4-1 against Xu Xin?

This user has no status.
I am sure he surpassed his own expectations and he played amazing. As zeio said at mytt, he showed his beating Wang Chuqin was not a fluke.

I never tire of telling the story of my high-level coach friend watching Lim as a junior and thinking that this was a potential Olympic gold medallist. It is good that people are now seeing some of the things that triggered that statement. Think about it, at the 2021 WTTC, he eliminated LYJ in a very close match, and had Moregardh down 0-3 before Moregardh started messing with his head. Then he beats WCQ at the Asia Cup but loses to Harimoto in the final. At this tournament, he beats his nemesis in recent times, Harimoto, convincingly. I remember reading a comment somewhere that said that the main reason he made the semifinal of this tournament is that there were no Chinese in his quarter lol. His play addressed those comments. I just hope he stays healthy enough to build on it.
Imo he is a real beast and has the most CNT play style out of all the non CNT players - attacking hard and early with a lot of spin. This match against Fan Zhendong he was producing shot quality matching or even exceeding that of Wang Chuqin imo. It was a miracle and testament to Fan Zhendong's abilities that he was able to withstand that onslaught that Lim Jonghoon brought to the table. Any other player would have just crumbled.

My money is still on Fan Zhendong in the final. He just seems faster than Liang Jingkun and as long as he keeps a sound mind and doesn't make tactical mistakes like 2019 WTTC he should win. It's just about pressuring the middle and exploiting wide FH of LJK, and avoid power battles on the BH.

Reactions: Wrighty67