Liu Guoliang will step down and be replaced as Chinese Men's Team Coach!

Who do you think will be the new China Head Coach?

• Ma Lin

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Wang Hao

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I have told you in the other thread:
"The requirements for head coach have changed. The head coach needs to be world or Olympic champion himself; have coached a world or Olympic champion; have attended WTTC or Olympic Games as a coach. "
Ma Lin and Wang Hao have not attended WTTC or Olympic Games as a coach. They are not qualified this year. The term of the head coach is 2 years or longer. Wish them good luck next time.

All the applications have been submitted on 3/24. We will see the results in one week.

As I known, there is always the transition period in the CNT. Look back at the period of Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoliang, we can see how CNT prepare to transfer the head coach. I do believe that Ma Lin or Wang Hao won't take the Chinese head coach this year because they need a "transition period" as before. I also said in the previous video that, "to coach the champion, you need to be a champion also". Ma Lin has a higher chance than Wang Hao as he has the Gold Medal in Olympics 2008. The head coach position can be decided after the WTTC this May. Wang Hao, Ma Lin and other coaches will participate in this WTTC under the direction of Liu Guoliang. But I think they won't publish the internal decision soon.
The information of rainneverever is indeed logical.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As I known, there is always the transition period in the CNT. Look back at the period of Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoliang, we can see how CNT prepare to transfer the head coach. I do believe that Ma Lin or Wang Hao won't take the Chinese head coach this year because they need a "transition period" as before. I also said in the previous video that, "to coach the champion, you need to be a champion also". Ma Lin has a higher chance than Wang Hao as he has the Gold Medal in Olympics 2008. The head coach position can be decided after the WTTC this May. Wang Hao, Ma Lin and other coaches will participate in this WTTC under the direction of Liu Guoliang. But I think they won't publish the internal decision soon.
The information of rainneverever is indeed logical.

Wang Hao has the Gold from the 2009 WTTC as well. They are both champions so there is no serious distinction in that regard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Why is Wang Liqin not an option actually? Why isn't he taking on a bigger role in the CNT? or any role?

Wang Liqin is head of table tennis and badminton in Shanghai: he also has the Xu Xin under his wings to oversee (though not as direct coaching role). He has a decent role in table tennis if not directly so in CNT itself.

By the way, I note that penhold is dying out but the tradition of penholder CNT mens coach lives on whether Ma Lin or Wang Hao gets the job. I guess if the above criteria is true, next in line for head coach should be ZJK or Captain Long when they retire. I can't see ZJK being head coach though, I reckon he will start his own business (likely fashion) :)

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
Things might change a bit, just read the newest news how they are gonna select the new men's team coach on tencent news.

https://view.inews.qq.com/a/WXC201703230186390B

附中国乒协发布的国乒一队主教练竞聘规则

1. 本人是世界冠军或奥运冠军。(The person was world championship or who won Olympic gold metal)
2. 培养出世界冠军或奥运冠军。(The person as a coach, whose player was world championship or who won Olympic gold metal)
3. 作为教练员参加过世界锦标赛或奥运会。(The person as a coach, who attended world championship or Olympic)
4. 具有本科以上学历。
5. 具有高级以上教练员职称。
6. 清楚把握世界男子/女子乒乓球运动的竞技发展形势和先进的训练方法。

Based on the first three things, Malin and Wanghao didn't have that all achievement before and won't have that many chances I guess as the article says. Malong's current coach Qin zhijian has more chances to win this title. Let's see. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: EmRatThich
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Things might change a bit, just read the newest news how they are gonna select the new men's team coach on tencent news.

https://view.inews.qq.com/a/WXC201703230186390B

附中国乒协发布的国乒一队主教练竞聘规则

1. 本人是世界冠军或奥运冠军。(The person was world championship or who won Olympic gold metal)2. 培养出世界冠军或奥运冠军。(The person as a coach, whose player was world championship or who won Olympic gold metal)3. 作为教练员参加过世界锦标赛或奥运会。(The person as a coach, who attended world championship or Olympic)4. 具有本科以上学历。5. 具有高级以上教练员职称。6. 清楚把握世界男子/女子乒乓球运动的竞技发展形势和先进的训练方法。

Based on the first three things, Malin and Wanghao didn't have that all achievement before and won't have that many chances I guess as the article says. Malong's current coach Qin zhijian has more chances to win this title. Let's see. :)

I haven't read any article regarding to coaching, but my bet is still on Ma Lin :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Then it will be Xiao zhan or qin zhijian .

From the article both Ma Lin and WH had no experience leading WTTC or OG as a coach so they are not qualified to compete for the post of head coach. Even Xiao Zhan is not qualified because he is not a champion himself. Qin Zhijian is the mixed double champ in 2001 and coach Ma Long over the years so he is the only one after LGL to satisfy all criteria. So it seems like either QZJ will become the new head coach which is kind of unexpected or LGL will stay for 2 more years and let Ma Lin and WH to fulfill the requirement. Will WH coach FZD in this year's WTTC? That will be a start.

Reactions: eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From the article both Ma Lin and WH had no experience leading WTTC or OG as a coach so they are not qualified to compete for the post of head coach. Even Xiao Zhan is not qualified because he is not a champion himself. Qin Zhijian is the mixed double champ in 2001 and coach Ma Long over the years so he is the only one after LGL to satisfy all criteria. So it seems like either QZJ will become the new head coach which is kind of unexpected or LGL will stay for 2 more years and let Ma Lin and WH to fulfill the requirement. Will WH coach FZD in this year's WTTC? That will be a start.

One of the previous rules about champ, XD and MD doesn't count.
so no one qualifies, hence I ignore rain's comment about Ma Lin and Wang Hao not qualifying.
If XZ and QZJ qualified, they would of taken over few months ago already

anyways, I haven't had much time lately to really browse news. So not sure what media is saying
lets wait and see what happens

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Not only doubles and mixed doubles champs count, team champs count as champs. Anyways, we will know the result soon. Either Liu Guoliang remains the head coach and Qin Zhijian takes over.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
According to the schedule of the CNT coach recruitment meeting, Liu Guoliang did not apply for the men's head coach position. Only Qin Zhijian applied for the men's head coach and Kong Linghui applied for the women's head coach.
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Seems no one is actually "competing" with LGL for the job of Head Coach of CNT. Same as KLH for Head Coach of Women A Team and Qin Zhijian as Head Coach of Men A Team. Does that means they will automatically be employed?

Both Ma Lin and Wang Hao are just applying for the job of Men A Team Coach.

There are 21 positions for 22 coaches to "compete" so only one will miss out, I wonder who that unfortunate one will be. And the "competitor" for Men B Team Head Coach is missing from the list. I guess there may be some typo mistake (looks to be between Huang Haicheng and Yan Sen).

The 21 positions are 1 Head Coach, 1 Men A Team Head Coach, 5 Men A Team Coaches, 1 Women A Team Head Coach, 5 Women A Team Coaches, 1 Men B Team Head Coach, 3 Men B Team Coaches, 1 Women B Team Head Coach and 3 Women B Team Coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
When will the meeting be finished ? Please feed some news and translate them if you got any =)
Thanks in advance !

Reactions: Suga D