PROTT.VIP and others

This user has no status.
So I have H3 Neo provincial BS from prott and H3 Neo provincial OS from Bribar and the topsheets have the same ITTF number (not abnormal?) but are different in appearance. The BS has more tack and has more sheen/glossier look. Can anybody offer an explanation? Is this to be expected because of the different sponge colours even though in theory they are both provincial rubbers? ....

Thoughts, theory's, explanations please anyone?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Pleiades, it seems to me that this is a much more interesting point than it may initially seem.

It is amazing to me that rubbers that are so different can have the same ITTF identifying number. The rules ITTF has for racket coverings and their approval are quite specific and are found here:

http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Technical_Leaflets/T4_Racket_Coverings.pdf

According to the that document, the procedure is that DHS informs ITTF that they are coming out with a rubber, they are given an ID code for that rubber (the one we will eventually see on the rubber) and then submits samples for testing along with a testing fee and also an authorization fee (the later they have to pay every year). They are not supposed to sell or distribute any rubber before the tests are finished.

Now, here is the thing: It also says that "The ITTF authorisation applies to a racket covering as originally submitted and tested; its subsequent alteration, by a supplier, a player or anyone else, is not permitted". [emphasis added]

Now if the "provincial" and "national" and "super-duper secret Ma Long versions" are all different from each other and from the "commercial" versions that they sell to all the rest of us, say, at TT11, than how can all of those various versions have the same ITTF ID number? Only one of them could have been approved by ITTF? Which one? If it was something other than the kind Ma Long or FZD uses, or if those players are each getting their own custom versions, how can that be legal according to ITTF? Since those would not be the same as the ones originally supplied for testing?

It not the ITTF allowing DHS to collude with the CNT to provide them with an unfair advantage?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Pleiades, it seems to me that this is a much more interesting point than it may initially seem.

It is amazing to me that rubbers that are so different can have the same ITTF identifying number. The rules ITTF has for racket coverings and their approval are quite specific and are found here:

http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Technical_Leaflets/T4_Racket_Coverings.pdf

According to the that document, the procedure is that DHS informs ITTF that they are coming out with a rubber, they are given an ID code for that rubber (the one we will eventually see on the rubber) and then submits samples for testing along with a testing fee and also an authorization fee (the later they have to pay every year). They are not supposed to sell or distribute any rubber before the tests are finished.

Now, here is the thing: It also says that "The ITTF authorisation applies to a racket covering as originally submitted and tested; its subsequent alteration, by a supplier, a player or anyone else, is not permitted". [emphasis added]

Now if the "provincial" and "national" and "super-duper secret Ma Long versions" are all different from each other and from the "commercial" versions that they sell to all the rest of us, say, at TT11, than how can all of those various versions have the same ITTF ID number? Only one of them could have been approved by ITTF? Which one? If it was something other than the kind Ma Long or FZD uses, or if those players are each getting their own custom versions, how can that be legal according to ITTF? Since those would not be the same as the ones originally supplied for testing?

It not the ITTF allowing DHS to collude with the CNT to provide them with an unfair advantage?

In theory, the answer should be that the topsheet is the same, the sponges may/will be different.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In theory, the answer should be that the topsheet is the same, the sponges may/will be different.

Yes, but according to T4, that should not be allowed since they don't just test the topsheet, they test the entire rubber now, and the things they test for are specified in that bulletin. Once they have submitted something for testing and it is approved, they are not allowed to change it at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, but according to T4, that should not be allowed since they don't just test the topsheet, they test the entire rubber now, and the things they test for are specified in that bulletin. Once they have submitted something for testing and it is approved, they are not allowed to change it at all.

What leads you to that conclusion/inference? There is nothing in there that explicitly prohibits recombining the topsheet with other sponges.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What leads you to that conclusion/inference? There is nothing in there that explicitly prohibits recombining the topsheet with other sponges.

Changes in racket coverings The ITTF authorisation applies to a racket covering as originally submitted and tested; its subsequent alteration, by a supplier, a player or anyone else, is not permitted