SANWEI Target National vs DHS Hurricane III Provincial

This user has no status.
Hey there!

The plan is to do my own direct comparison between Target National (new) and Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial 40' (blue sponge) in 2.15 mm. I need to make up my own assessment of these and how they compare - because there is conflicting information floating out there. I will post more info: weight, closeup shots etc.

4.JPG

I have a question about the DHS for anyone who can help please 🙏

I noticed that the sponge has a coating on it, some kind of silicone. It can be rubbed off - here is a photo showing what I mean on the edge.

1.JPG

Silicone rubbed off on the edge:
2.JPG

The question is do I leave the "silicone" coating on it or do I remove it, before anything else?

FYI the Target National is bare, here you can see the two compared (the darker blue one is the Target National:

3.JPG

Thanks a bunch !

p.s. the sponge looks very similar albeit the DHS seems more dense (less pores)

Reactions: Dr Evil
H3 neo is supposed to be pre-glued. So that coating is glue. In theory your not supposed to glue the rubber just the blade… to rub it off seems pointless…

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Funk My Racket
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey there!

The plan is to do my own direct comparison between Target National (new) and Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial 40' (blue sponge) in 2.15 mm. I need to make up my own assessment of these and how they compare - because there is conflicting information floating out there. I will post more info: weight, closeup shots etc.

View attachment 26812

I have a question about the DHS for anyone who can help please 🙏

I noticed that the sponge has a coating on it, some kind of silicone. It can be rubbed off - here is a photo showing what I mean on the edge.

View attachment 26809

Silicone rubbed off on the edge:
View attachment 26810

The question is do I leave the "silicone" coating on it or do I remove it, before anything else?

FYI the Target National is bare, here you can see the two compared (the darker blue one is the Target National:

View attachment 26811

Thanks a bunch !

p.s. the sponge looks very similar albeit the DHS seems more dense (less pores)

Leave it on. 40 degree is soft enough to play as it is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I’m dying for the result and comparison. I gave up with STN, but my knowledge of boosting is only based on YouTube/forum and do not have any experience with Chinese like rubbers… only played esn/tensor ones. Still have unopened h3neo bs prov 40* black but until my knowledge increases I do not touch it before.

This user has no status.
Ok so here are more details about the comparison.

The dimensions (in mm) are 164 x 165 for the Sanwei and 164 x 168 for the DHS (ignoring the cut offs on top edges).

1.JPG

The thickness is hard to measure precisely but after a good close look I am quite confident they are almost exactly the same. Approximately 2mm thickness for the sponge. The photo below looks like over 2mm but when we align the ruler correctly it is actually 2mm. The topsheet + sponge comes to 4mm (or very very close to that). Both are the "same" for all intents and purposes.

5.JPG

The topsheet pip structure looks similar, spacing is very close to each other and topsheet thickness as well. It is very difficult to assess.

I will detach them after use in 3 months and update you on that.

9.JPG

The Target National specimen I have weighs in at 66g.

2.JPG

While the DHS weighs in at 73g.

3.JPG

Some math will give us the sponge density, some might be interested to know that the Target National is approximately 8~9% less dense than the DHS. I have accounted for the two cutoffs in my calculations.

0.0609 g/mm^3 for Sanwei.

0.0662 g/mm^3 for DHS.

I hope you all enjoy this small report.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
This user has no status.
Exactly, here it is after 3 layers..

View attachment 26833

and you're spot on, it was a bit hairy, the Sanwei rubber is curling up a bit on the sides near the handle.

we can see it here, but I can fix this later by adding a bit of glue and keeping it pressed for a while.

View attachment 26834

And here is the DHS

View attachment 26835

I put 1 layer of glue on the rubber and two layers each on the blades. Adding the glue on the rubbers was quite ok depsite the curl as seen below. This is the DHS.

View attachment 26836

And here is the SANWEI

View attachment 26837

I waited for the glue to become translucid each time and here is the result, if it wasn't for the slightly different blue sponge colour, I would be unable to tell them apart by looking at the topsheet.

View attachment 26839

I did a bounce test to compare, at this point they both feel identical: Sound, vibration feel in the hand, bounce height.

Today I will break-in the DHS. Next training it will be the SANWEI's time for break-in. After both are broken-in, I will take them both to the hall and do some back to back..
Both look quite beautiful this way. Hope they will keep sticking onto the blade. Glhf

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
mind limits.jpg

𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏❜𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒔.
𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒐𝒃𝒆𝒚 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒖𝒍𝒆𝒔.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Attitude
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
View attachment 26842

𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏❜𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒔.
𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒐𝒃𝒆𝒚 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒖𝒍𝒆𝒔.
Of course us players CAN be choosers.
In my clubs half of the players choose to give me illegal serves - so I can choose to boost my rubbers. Nobody cares about ITTF rules.

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Ok so here are more details about the comparison.

The dimensions (in mm) are 164 x 165 for the Sanwei and 164 x 168 for the DHS (ignoring the cut offs on top edges).

View attachment 26817

The thickness is hard to measure precisely but after a good close look I am quite confident they are almost exactly the same. Approximately 2mm thickness for the sponge. The photo below looks like over 2mm but when we align the ruler correctly it is actually 2mm. The topsheet + sponge comes to 4mm (or very very close to that). Both are the "same" for all intents and purposes.

View attachment 26820

The topsheet pip structure looks similar, spacing is very close to each other and topsheet thickness as well. It is very difficult to assess.

I will detach them after use in 3 months and update you on that.

View attachment 26821

The Target National specimen I have weighs in at 66g.

View attachment 26816

While the DHS weighs in at 73g.

View attachment 26818

Some math will give us the sponge density, some might be interested to know that the Target National is approximately 8~9% less dense than the DHS. I have accounted for the two cutoffs in my calculations.

0.0609 g/mm^3 for Sanwei.

0.0662 g/mm^3 for DHS.

As a (future) engineer, I feel compelled to examine the two rubbers under "real life" conditions :giggle: I am therefore obliged to boost them accordingly. Each will be subjected to 3 layers of Haifu Seamoon (the standard one).

I will soon post a photo of the rubbers after two layers have been applied to see how they react.

I hope you all enjoy this small report.

Cheers.
It's almost comical how much better DHS applies the protector foil onto the rubber.

I look forward to the conclusion of this comparison.

This user has no status.
@Tony Funk My Racket what happened to the pictures of your boosted rubbers? Did you end up taking the layer of glue off the DHS prov before boosting, or did you apply the booster directly over it? How did it take to the booster? a nice curl? WHat booster did you use?
Both rubbers reacted in a very similar way and I applied three layers of Haifu Seamoon (standard one). The curl was very pronounced. I left the Hurricane III untouched, did not remove the original glue. Both rubbers required the same amount of break-in. In play, they behave similarly except for two notable albeit small differences:

- The Hurricane III has slightly higher throw so I needed to close the racket a bit more than with the Target.

- The Target National has a bit more kick when doing power top spins (kill shots), it snaps off the racket a bit faster and the sound is also notably more crisp when this happens. I suspect this is probably what happens with the Hurricane III National version too but unsure, I yet have to test this one.

The short game, blocking game, services = very very similar except the slight adjustment in racket angle due to the throw angle being a bit different. But the adjustment is easy, it took me a few minutes each time to adjust when I switched rackets.

This user has no status.
2nd layer of Seamoon regular on new STN, this sponge is like brick and do not want to stretch 🤯
Tomorrow 3rd layerView attachment 27197

I’ll hope it will be domed a bit
Looked the same for me when I applied the 2nd layer, but started to curl nicely later when the 3rd layer got dry. It takes time to react. Be patient it's really worth it :):):)

Reactions: disaster3