The Advanced Response Blade - The Future of Table Tennis Now! - by Anthony.R.Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Advanced Response Blade - The Future of Table Tennis Now! - by Anthony.R....

I like this one more :)

I thought this one was pricelessly silly:

044dd7df873a8123ca33d095b95d9e5e.jpg

This one is like a better version of the OP's handle:

1ede8b79fd0ae507d2ad5957263b456c.jpg

And still quite silly.

They might be fun for entertainment and recreational use. But any high level player understands the value of how you can adjust the grip for different shots. Like, if you go inside out, a slight change of the grip helps that. And if you are going to hook the ball another slight shift in the grip allows that. I know, beginners are told to keep their grip stable. But as you get more skilled you feel how to make subtle adjustments to the grip for different shots.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You won't see many Pros playing with it because they have Never seen it before! :)

It seems that you misunderstood me. I am not saying that nobody is using it yet. Of course nobody is using it yet. But I am confident that, if you put this on the market, NO TOP PRO will consider changing to it and use it in competition play.

As I pointed out in one of my posts, there have been plenty of ridiculous alternative handle ideas for table tennis. The standard handle is not in jeopardy.

Reactions: BeGo
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In fact, this is not the first time someone has tried things like this. Actually, a friend of mine who was building blades in his basement at a point was experimenting with various versions of this kind of thing. He remains a shakehand player. I tried some of his attempts myself.

The shape of the handle shown in the video* does not seem very optimal for the way that one might use a handle like that that makes some sort of biomechanical and sensory sense for table tennis. For one thing, the thumb and forefinger can't make any contact with the rubber based on the way the thing is being held. That is a pretty important sensory aspect for penholders and shakehanders alike. The thing is going to constrain wrist flow pretty severely.

Now, if I actually saw someone using this blade effectively on a wide range of shots to both sides, including offensive and defensive shots, short game, and serves, I would change my mind about it. But that is what it would take.

* Can you actually call something a video that takes 3 minutes to present such a small amount of information (three static images of the blade)?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think you are so intoxicated with your "discovery" , you can't understand simple english right now, I will wait for you come down from your high. Why don't you put out a video of you playing instead of the three slider that you have decided to call a video ?
No Hammer ? Type play with The Advanced Response Blade just All round Power! and definitely Not! Recommended for opening Refrigerators! :) as far as a Pendulum Serve goes...you just have to be on the Receiving end of that Stroke to know it works far better than a Normal Blade! :)

This user has no status.
It is a pretty rudimentary design. Not something someone would considered groundbreaking. I am more inclined to regard it as a rehash of some tried and tested idea lost to time that didn't pan out rather than something that hasn't occurred to anyone.

However, even Dan Seemiller was able to rise through the ranks with his unorthodox style. It's never just the blade, it's the blade and player combination. For me, this blade is extremely limiting on the wrist, which would hamper my spins tremendously.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Interesting bobpuls your Country Flag shows Slovakia :) I am playing in Slovakia at the moment...do I know you ?
Yes i`m in slovakia to ... city Trencin. and we do not now each other.... but if you are near we can change this :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2016
I thought this one was pricelessly silly:

044dd7df873a8123ca33d095b95d9e5e.jpg

This one is like a better version of the OP's handle:

1ede8b79fd0ae507d2ad5957263b456c.jpg

And still quite silly.

They might be fun for entertainment and recreational use. But any high level player understands the value of how you can adjust the grip for different shots. Like, if you go inside out, a slight change of the grip helps that. And if you are going to hook the ball another slight shift in the grip allows that. I know, beginners are told to keep their grip stable. But as you get more skilled you feel how to make subtle adjustments to the grip for different shots.

The problem will all the Blades ? you are Showing is first the Weight of them! :( where as My Blade is as light as a Normal Blade :) But the Main difference is the Grip,mine is held in such a way (Because of the Loop!) that all the possible Strokes are possible to play and more! :) and because of the (Loop) you can make many subtle adjustments :)
Examples (Extreme Bottom Spin Serves - Because of the Horizontal angles possible) (Bottom side Spin Serves) (Extreme Top Spin Serves - Because of the Fast Wrist Action Possible) (Back-hand Reverse Serves and Chops at Extreme angles) Etc.
The biggest mistake people make when they first see the Advanced Response Blade is that they think you hold it like a Shopping Bag Handle :( which is not the case as shown in the Video photo below...The actual Hold is Very relaxed somewhere between a Shake-Hold and Pen-Hold with all the Advantages and more of both! :)

Now the Future! LOOP-HOLD.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It seems that you misunderstood me. I am not saying that nobody is using it yet. Of course nobody is using it yet. But I am confident that, if you put this on the market, NO TOP PRO will consider changing to it and use it in competition play.

As I pointed out in one of my posts, there have been plenty of ridiculous alternative handle ideas for table tennis. The standard handle is not in jeopardy.

The Future is here with My Advanced Response Blade :) Trust me! which will be proved first by Me at Competition level and then watch the Chinese etc. take to it like a fish in Water! Table Tennis was Invented in Great Britain and ingenuity in the form of My Blade will take Table Tennis back home...at least at first equipment wise! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
In fact, this is not the first time someone has tried things like this. Actually, a friend of mine who was building blades in his basement at a point was experimenting with various versions of this kind of thing. He remains a shakehand player. I tried some of his attempts myself.

The shape of the handle shown in the video* does not seem very optimal for the way that one might use a handle like that that makes some sort of biomechanical and sensory sense for table tennis. For one thing, the thumb and forefinger can't make any contact with the rubber based on the way the thing is being held. That is a pretty important sensory aspect for penholders and shakehanders alike. The thing is going to constrain wrist flow pretty severely.

Now, if I actually saw someone using this blade effectively on a wide range of shots to both sides, including offensive and defensive shots, short game, and serves, I would change my mind about it. But that is what it would take.

* Can you actually call something a video that takes 3 minutes to present such a small amount of information (three static images of the blade)?

Yes people have tried other designs of Blades but all have been discarded! it takes something Special to change what has been before and the Advanced Response Blade is the Eureka moment & design :)
The Shape of the Handle is Optimal and the only way possible for all the types of Strokes and play without any Restrictions.
As far a (biomechanical and sensory sense for table tennis) ? the Extra Palm feeling makes up for all and more of that! :)
You will see the Blade in action as soon as I get the Video footage available :) and you will say like others have WOW! :)
The 3 minutes Video is only a Taster which obviously worked with you...as you replied! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Anthony Brown gets an A for conviction but an F for TT understanding.

The biggest problem with the success of something like this is that it will struggle to get traction outside of the evolutionary chain of grips as the most tried and proven ways of getting to the top of the table tennis food chain have been developed and taught with shake hand and penholder grips. Power is not everything in table tennis and Mr Brown is too low level a player to realize this. Sometimes, you can only efficiently learn TT from someone who uses the grip you want to master in order to make technique transfer highly efficient.

That said, I have seen decent players use similar constructions to the second or third picture that Carl posted as a better version of this - one was a Hopes camp junior from Europe, I believe, and the other was a Japanese pips - out hitter I played at Westchester, NY. He was about 1900-2000 and could very well be a better player than me by now. His FH was actually his strength.

I am not as sold as some that having a finger on the blade face is necessary to develop good touch, but it might depend on relative level and modifications can be made to support that. But there are strong arguments in favor of the power and convenience of such grips. They just are not everything in high level TT. I do think though that racket design innovation in TT is relatively backward because of the lack of money in the sport.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It is a pretty rudimentary design. Not something someone would considered groundbreaking. I am more inclined to regard it as a rehash of some tried and tested idea lost to time that didn't pan out rather than something that hasn't occurred to anyone.

However, even Dan Seemiller was able to rise through the ranks with his unorthodox style. It's never just the blade, it's the blade and player combination. For me, this blade is extremely limiting on the wrist, which would hamper my spins tremendously.

I agree the Player is as important as the Blade/Racket :) The Advanced Response Blade has the Most Extreme possible wrist action! movement :) just look at the photo above (Now the Future! LOOP-HOLD) and imagine the whip action possible :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I've seen quite a few players who due to their hand injures etc cant play with shakehand or penhold grip so they are using above mentioned grip variations and that keeps them still active in TT. Other than that I cant see any future regarding any of these new grip styles. But hey, if you believe in your product, follow your dream and keep working on it and maybe you'll prove us all wrong one day. Good luck!

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Anthony Brown gets an A for conviction but an F for TT understanding.

The biggest problem with the success of something like this is that it will struggle to get traction outside of the evolutionary chain of grips as the most tried and proven ways of getting to the top of the table tennis food chain have been developed and taught with shake hand and penholder grips. Power is not everything in table tennis and Mr Brown is too low level a player to realize this. Sometimes, you can only efficiently learn TT from someone who uses the grip you want to master in order to make technique transfer highly efficient.

That said, I have seen decent players use similar constructions to the second or third picture that Carl posted as a better version of this - one was a Hopes camp junior from Europe, I believe, and the other was a Japanese pips - out hitter I played at Westchester, NY. He was about 1900-2000 and could very well be a better player than me by now. His FH was actually his strength.

I am not as sold as some that having a finger on the blade face is necessary to develop good touch, but it might depend on relative level and modifications can be made to support that. But there are strong arguments in favor of the power and convenience of such grips. They just are not everything in high level TT. I do think though that racket design innovation in TT is relatively backward because of the lack of money in the sport.

And NextLevel get's a G- for trying :)
As far as playing with Blades that are standard some of the problems are ...
Example: Shake-Hold = Top Heavy,Finger obstruction. Pen-Hold = Awkward Backhand,difficult Full Top Spin.
The Power replies are only part of my replies you need to read other info about how it's possible to play all the strokes in a subtle way and that the Loop hold is actually light! etc.
You know nothing about my level of play only what you assume! SAD!
Then you get a H- for saying Money lacks in TT Development! :D

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It comes down to this. You have gotten people's attention. Now if you don't show us all of these wondrous properties of your "new idea" in actual play, you are just trolling.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It comes down to this. You have gotten people's attention. Now if you don't show us all of these wondrous properties of your "new idea" in actual play, you are just trolling.

The Real Troll is someone like you that comes onto this Thread making a comment like you have,without contributing in any constructive way to the Thread!
If you actually bothered to read the Thread then you will find I have already stated that as soon as I get the Video of the A.R.B in action then I will post it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
And NextLevel get's a G- for trying :)
As far as playing with Blades that are standard some of the problems are ...
Example: Shake-Hold = Top Heavy,Finger obstruction. Pen-Hold = Awkward Backhand,difficult Full Top Spin.
The Power replies are only part of my replies you need to read other info about how it's possible to play all the strokes in a subtle way and that the Loop hold is actually light! etc.
You know nothing about my level of play only what you assume! SAD!
Then you get a H- for saying Money lacks in TT Development! :D

Please let us know your level of play. And please quote whatever I missed on this grip.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Real Troll is someone like you that comes onto this Thread making a comment like you have,without contributing in any constructive way to the Thread!
If you actually bothered to read the Thread then you will find I have already stated that as soon as I get the Video of the A.R.B in action then I will post it!

The funny thing here is, not only did Baal contribute in a pretty useful and diplomatic way, you even quoted him and gave a dismissive response.

The funny thing here is that most of the contributors to this thread are long standing, well respected posters, who most people know from their history of presenting good information. Baal is not only quite diplomatic and knowledgeable, he is even the moderator of a different forum and comes on here to help keep TTDaily a sane place.

Funny that you have insulted so many of the top posters here in just your first thread.

But, hey, we understand you are new and enthusiastic about your product. We will give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean well and just want us to try your racket with an open mind.

Let's see how your video looks and who will like your new design.

There will be some market for it, even if that market is relatively small.

But who knows, maybe we are all wrong and you have found the next version of butter on toast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Please let us know your level of play. And please quote whatever I missed on this grip.

I would not know exactly what my level is at Table Tennis as I have never used some kind of Numerical rating to show that.
All I can say is that I have only ever played at about 40% of my ability because of life's problems and not being in one place long enough to show what I can do.

The Advantages with The Advanced Response Blade to other Failed designs are...

(1) Weight (The A.R.B has a similar weight to a Normal Blade)
(2) No Finger obstructions or Top heavy problems you have with a Shake-Hold Blade.
(3) No Back hand or Full Top Spin problems you have with a Pen-Hold Blade.
(4) The A.R.B can produce Extreme Spin Serves because of the angles that can be used...Example Full Horizontal bottom Spin,Full Top Spin because of a fast whip wrist action,etc.
(5) A wider variety of possible Serves & Strokes because of the flexibility regarding the Loop-Hold (like having more gears!)
(6) The ability to return balls Very close to the net at Extreme angles (like just behind the net).
(7) Etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.