Whats your experience with H37/38 backhand rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Whats your experience playing with (mostly chinese) H37/38 degree backhand rubbers?

How do they compare to 45-50 degree ESN/Tensor rubbers?

What were the effects of boosting them?

What lessons did you learn?
What would you like to share about them?

Things like:

H3 37 ( any version)
H8-80
Jupiter 3
Big Dipper

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
H3 H37 boosted on backhand is really really fun and controlled and all does everything. I love it.
H8 H37 boosted is even better, does everything but with more pace.

Jupiter 3 I find to be too tacky for bh. but maybe some people like that.

Big Dipper H38 boosted on bh is a dynamic powerhouse. But maybe less controlled than Hurricane.

But overall, H37 chinese rubbers are awesome for backhand. So much spin, so much help lifting underspin, powerful attack, and blocks well enough.

Reactions: shat1478 and ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Can a 37/38 unboosted rubber play like a tensor?
Or is it still too hard / dead?

How was Jupiter 3, boosted/unboosted?
H37 unboosted is not hard, but its not bouncy like a tensor. H3 and H8 are fairly slow unboosted. Big Dipper is closer to being like a tensor, so you might be fine with that.

So if you plan on using H37, i really recommend boosting.

Jupiter 3 isn't dead, its got decent bounce if you hit through enough, but the heavy tackiness makes the ball kinda stick to the rubber. So on low-impact shots, it seems really slow. On higher impact, it feels faster.

If you want a bh tensor without boosting, your best bet would be AK47 or Moon 12

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
But the whole point of using H37 type rubbers is not to mimic a tensor. It plays differently. It has more spin, more dwell time, more hold on the ball. You are really encouraged to open up and play active and spinny shots. The rubber invites you to loop underspin, flick or loop no-spin balls, counter-loop, etc.

Tensor allows you to be more passive.

Reactions: Tiz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Do these rubbers need to be reboosted on BH?
I dont mind boosting, but reboosting is annoying.
I want to keep the rubber glued on for a longer time.

Which one is suited best for that?
H8-80 was pretty good at that.

How are the other ones for this purpose?
I would say H3 and H8 really are asking for boosting once. But I don't think they need reboosting.

Big Dipper is very very fast with booster, but fast enough without boosting.

In my opinion, H8 boosted was the best after boosting. To me, all of them have equal longevity. I don't think you need to reboost any of them. I have several of them boosted over a year ago, and they are still the same bounciness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you hate boosting, play with it for a week. After a week decide. But do know that you won't get as much speed initially, but you need to compensate with activity. But the issue is that the loss of speed is too much for many players to initially accept if they don't play with power and activity

For me in general, Chinese rubbers are about control and at higher power levels, spin. You can hit the ball harder and get unusual trajectories vs European rubbers. And the blocking is much more a function of the blade vs if you use an European rubber, you won't get as much rebound so you need to get used to stroking a little when you block.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Whats your experience with H37/38 backhand rubbers
Not so good really .
I expected much when I got my H3 Neo 37 but ended up using it on my FH instead.
It does not only depend on the rubbers but also on the blade AND it also depends on your skill level and last but not least on the skill level of your opponent.

When I look back to all my experiments with rubbers and blades I would sum it up by saying : Get a good Allround blade, all wood or inner layer Carbo/kev, get two decent rubbers , about 39 and 1.8 to 2mm on both sides and stick with it. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
A couple years ago I changed from BH tensors (Acuda Blue P2, Fastarc S1, Rasanter, Goldarc, Rakza 7 soft, etc) to unboosted TG3-60 in 37deg hardness. I did also try H3 37deg, H3-50 etc on friends’ blades before, but found I preferred TG3-60 the most for its higher arc. The main reason for trying many different BH rubbers and eventually switching to a Chinese rubber was for better in-game consistency.

With a tensor BH, I found I was often trying to hit through the spin on the ball. When I judged the ball well, it would be a clear winner, but as I started playing higher competition grades hitting though the spin became harder and harder.

After some convincing from a friend/coach, I switched to TG3-60 and started the long journey of correcting my BH stroke. I have to play a lot more active and brush the ball more with TG3-60, but I’ve found my in-game consistency has improved greatly. I don’t hit as many clean winners with a Chinese BH rubber now, but I have a larger margin of error in case I misjudge my opponents spin.

It took a while to retrain my muscle memory, especially BH flick and looping away from the table. But it was definitely worthwhile (I was able to compete in div2/sec1/grade A at various club pennants) and probably saved me a lot of money buying different tensors!

Reactions: bobpuls and Fnub
This user has no status.
H3 H37 boosted on backhand is really really fun and controlled and all does everything. I love it.
H8 H37 boosted is even better, does everything but with more pace.

Jupiter 3 I find to be too tacky for bh. but maybe some people like that.

Big Dipper H38 boosted on bh is a dynamic powerhouse. But maybe less controlled than Hurricane.

But overall, H37 chinese rubbers are awesome for backhand. So much spin, so much help lifting underspin, powerful attack, and blocks well enough.
Thank for your information , so could you please compare durability of these

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I used Battle 2 Provincial soft 37 on a T11S, and really liked it. Good speed, all the control, huge spin.

Just don't expect tensor-like catapult, which is really just a very exaggerated bottom end, which tapers off.

Instead, B2PS37 is more linear, and catches up in speed at about 60% input (for me at least, I don't know how hard you all hit). It feels like when you actually want more power, you have it, but not when you don't.

In fact, I'm still not sure I like my GoldArc 8 50 more or less than the B2PS37.
They're just different...

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
I used H3 Pro 37 for a week and did not like it because it's too soft. topsin capacity is excellent, good blocking, moderate catapult, but the high throw angle put me off

Then I tried H3 H38 recently (both Market and Pro versions) and liked it a lot, it has more solid blocking, lower throw angle, a bit more difficult to flick than H3 37. I can understand why Liang Jing Kun has chosen that hardness, it gave him much more stability in his blocking game.

Reactions: latej
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Comparing boosted Chinese 37/38 deg to ESN 45-50 is like comparing a boner to a flaccid penis.
I agree totally, it is exactly why players with a flaccid penis need ESN 45-50 and real man with boners can play the Chinese rubbers. 😂

(Sorry girls i did not want to be discriminatory but most of you simply don't have a penis )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Comparing boosted Chinese 37/38 deg to ESN 45-50 is like comparing a boner to a flaccid penis.

:LOL:
Truth be told, I've always used tacky, Chinese rubbers on both sides, but moving to GA8 50 has been a lot of fun, as I'm at a stage where I'm ignoring everything but speed. And GA8 has the linearity of a Chinese rubber, too (well, sort of, once your beyond about 50% effort), so it was easy to get used to.

I will say, however, the B2P Soft 37 was a surprising gem of a backhand rubber. The top sheet seems a little different than the regular B2P, and though it certainly doesn't have any catapult, its response curve has a steeper gradient, before rolling off just a tad earlier than the other Battle 2's (but it doesn't fall off a cliff like a tensor as you find its limit, none of the B2 rubbers do that).