Advantages of 1.8mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
is it just me, or does anybody else find it highly contradictive to lament about how one-sided tabletennis has become and then give out GENERAL advice as if one size fits all. Giving advice for loopers and then lamenting that everyone is only playing loop style doesn´t make a lot sense to me.

Gjayesh, as others have already written: since non of all the "experts" have seen you play i would suggest to stick to your coach´s advice, as he might know you and your playstyle better than Tom, Dick & Harry on the internet do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Suga D ... you are right .. but since we have a tantric philosopher/table tennis player in the question ... I would like to refer you to the famous indian saying ... "pouring ghee on ashes" ... as I keep seeing the OP's response ... thats what I feel more and more ... I was not planning to comment anymore till we see the OP's video ...
is it just me, or does anybody else find it highly contradictive to lament about how one-sided tabletennis has become and then give out GENERAL advice as if one size fits all. Giving advice for loopers and then lamenting that everyone is only playing loop style doesn´t make a lot sense to me.

Gjayesh, as others have already written: since non of all the "experts" have seen you play i would suggest to stick to your coach´s advice, as he might know you and your playstyle better than Tom, Dick & Harry on the internet do.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Hi Ball according to coach, we ethnic asians indians have more uncontrolled body power which generates unintentionally, we cannot control the werewolf desires :D

Ok. So evaluate that. Now evaluate all the other advice he gives you. Good luck with your improvement. I suspect you will need it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@Suga D ... you are right .. but since we have a tantric philosopher/table tennis player in the question ... I would like to refer you to the famous indian saying ... "pouring ghee on ashes" ... as I keep seeing the OP's response ... thats what I feel more and more ... I was not planning to comment anymore till we see the OP's video ...

This is just a great post. So much here. Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, it depends who is doing the lamenting. I am not sure I see people who were lamenting the good old days when posting about the value of max sponge.

I personally think that the subject that is actually being lamented in the other thread has to do with the issue that, there is at least one country that takes a 200% professional approach to scouting, recruiting and training talent for TT.

And as a result, even for other countries, the top athletes in TT probably have much more training under their belt by the time they hit the top 50 than they did years ago.

So, to me, the issue being discussed in the other thread may in fact be the result of a higher level of training in the top athletes.

Of course I could be wrong.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But how I see it is:

The benefits of 1.8mm sponge are that they allow you to have more control when you hit flatter.

And the info that his coach gave about Asian players in comparison to other ethnic groups, to me, seems suspect, at best. And some people could start using other terms that may best be left to trolls like Sebás.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I don't understand the context of this 3rd page.
I think post #10 has a lot of valid points.
But most important
I think it is a matter of preference and what you are use to or can get use to.
Thicker rubber may have a long dwell time but is is microseconds longer, not milliseconds.
In other words it isn't that significant which I think it goes back to preference.
Thicker rubber can be stretched more and absorb more energy than thinner rubber. This should be obvious.
When this energy is returned it results in more spin. This is necessary when playing back from the table since the ball loses about 1/2 its speed for every 5 meters of travel.
Beginners don't play that far back from the table so thicker rubbers aren't really required for beginners or those that play next to the table.

My main concern about playing with 1.8mm is bottoming out. When playing with soft 35 degree 1.8mm rubber it will bottom out. This will cause balls to go into the net if trying to loop a ball without brushing. If brushing the 1.8mm will not bottom out but beginners don't have the timing and faith in their rubber to brush thinly.

Too much is made of soft vs hard rubbers. The main advantage of hard rubbers is that they don't bottom out. At least I doubt my Rakza 7 1.8 or MX-S 1.9 have ever bottomed out. I don't see how one can make a general statement about spin or speed since there are so many different types of hard and soft rubber.
My point is that there are too many generalizations on TT forums. I bet can find an exception to any general statements so
I will repeat. Play with what you like but I don't think thick rubbers are necessary for close to the table play.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
My Tips:
- If you are young kids (who doesn't have much power), use 1.8mm
- If you are an adult, normal players, start with 2.0mm (1.8mm is too thin).
- Always remember: Prefer hard but thin (2.0mm) rubber than soft but thick.
- Rubber for forehand: Always choose harder than 47 degree. (ESN Scale)
- Rubber for backhand: Always choose harder than 42 degree. (ESN Scale)

Great to see you emrat!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
UpSideDownCarl can you explain in detail why you recommended the same rubbers on both sides for your sister? And maybe what blade/rubbers did you advice her to use. .

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
UpSideDownCarl can you explain in detail why you recommended the same rubbers on both sides for your sister? And maybe what blade/rubbers did you advice her to use. .

How about this, I will ask you a few questions. Then I will see if I can answer your questions:

1) Do you use different rubbers on FH and BH?
2) If the answer is yes, then, can you explain to me why?

If you can, I will explain to you why my sister should use the same rubbers on both sides.

As far as her blade, she uses a blade I recommended she not use. But like so many people at her level, the addiction to speed has her using a fast expensive blade that makes it hard for her to really learn to improve the level of spin she gets.

It is a very common mistake. Trying to use equipment to overcome a perceived weakness. Without understanding what you lose when you use a blade that is too fast for your technique.

This user has no status.
Trying my tenergy 80 1.7 right now.

First impressions:
1. Spin is incredible on the open!!! Never felt anything like it!!!
2. Away from the table is less satisfying. It's not bottoming out, it just losses a bit of liveliness. Still good, but away from the table may be a deal breaker because that's my game.

But, if you don't play away from the table like me, you've got to try this rubber. And watch the ball spring off of your opponents racket. I love the facial expressions when they didn't expect that much spin. Lol

I might try the 1.9 next. Probably get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I use different rubbers on my blade . FH is xiom vega Europe 2.0 with higher arc..to play offensive topspin and bh is acuda blue p2 1.8 which has a lower throw angle. . I like to chop the ball..keep it close to the net. .when I buy the new set of rubbers I'll buy bh 2.0 too. The blade is applegren allplay...but I sometimes use acoustic with the same rubbers' set. I thought about having XV Europe on bh and fh because it's the rubber I like most. .for me not so bouncy and not that difficult to control. I have already realised that playing with too fast blade will not help to build my technique.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl