TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
is it incorrect for me to read serves the way I do since I don't watch the stroke or the contact? is it important to do this? or is it okay that I just watch the ball, it's worked for me so far and I hate being deceived by motion of a person so that's why I learned to do this.

IF the ball does it all for you, stick to the ball. All I will say is that it is hard to read the amount of spin on the ball by watching the ball if the spin is really high.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@ ttmonster

cork serves don't tend to give me much of an issue (at least the ones I've come against). I'm sure it's just because I haven't faced high level server's yet. But generally I wait a pretty damn long time until I make contact with the ball on a serve. For my backhand flick, my contact is pretty close to when the ball is going to make it's second bounce on my side. That's part of the reason why my flick isn't very powerful and also why it's pretty consistent.

Once I'm more comfortable with my opponents spin I'll do the flick earlier and not wait as long. But if they do something that I'm all of a sudden not able to deal with again I'll start waiting again.

Since I tend to wait so long, I have time to see that it's cork by the time it gets to the point where I should make my stroke. All cork serves I've faced are just topspin that start off looking like sidespin. If my opponent does sidespin a few times and I get the hang of it and start flipping it earlier off the bounce, and then they mix in a cork, I'll usually hit the edge of my raquet or have my timing off to where the ball goes into the net with my stroke being too early.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Okay, I understand . There are people who can vary the cork from top, side and under , depending on which side of the ball you are going to touch.

Reading serves is the most difficult part of game and I would not insist you to change anything anyways , based on a theoretical discussion :)

@ ttmonster

cork serves don't tend to give me much of an issue (at least the ones I've come against). I'm sure it's just because I haven't faced high level server's yet. But generally I wait a pretty damn long time until I make contact with the ball on a serve. For my backhand flick, my contact is pretty close to when the ball is going to make it's second bounce on my side. That's part of the reason why my flick isn't very powerful and also why it's pretty consistent.

Once I'm more comfortable with my opponents spin I'll do the flick earlier and not wait as long. But if they do something that I'm all of a sudden not able to deal with again I'll start waiting again.

Since I tend to wait so long, I have time to see that it's cork by the time it gets to the point where I should make my stroke. All cork serves I've faced are just topspin that start off looking like sidespin. If my opponent does sidespin a few times and I get the hang of it and start flipping it earlier off the bounce, and then they mix in a cork, I'll usually hit the edge of my raquet or have my timing off to where the ball goes into the net with my stroke being too early.

Reactions: Shuki
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. I have faced a real, capital letters, REAL, corkscrew serve. It looks like top/side. If you counter the spin the way you would with a regular top/side, the ball goes straight down because, that side of the ball is actually backspin and the other side of the ball is topspin. So, I am back to wondering what most people mean by corkscrew. But I know exactly what Michael Lander's corkscrew serve is like. And trying to receive it is not easy. It definitely messes with your instincts because the ball bounces like it is topspin and you touch where you think the outside of the ball is and where you think avoiding the spin is, and you are falling into the trap and facing the heaviest part of the spin.

On a real corkscrew serve, spin avoidance is on the very back of the ball.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I had the good fortune to partner in doubles Michael at Topspin back in the days WCTTA used to work out of there ... and he really liked my corkscrew serve and told me how do you do it , again knowing Michael he might be kidding but for me that was an "aha moment" ... :)
Okay. I have faced a real, capital letters, REAL, corkscrew serve. It looks like top/side. If you counter the spin the way you would with a regular top/side, the ball goes straight down because, that side of the ball is actually backspin and the other side of the ball is topspin. So, I am back to wondering what most people mean by corkscrew. But I know exactly what Michael Lander's corkscrew serve is like. And trying to receive it is not easy. It definitely messes with your instincts because the ball bounces like it is topspin and you touch where you think the outside of the ball is and where you think avoiding the spin is, and you are falling into the trap and facing the heaviest part of the spin.

On a real corkscrew serve, spin avoidance is on the very back of the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nah, Mike is an awesome guy. He wouldn't say the serve is good unless it was.

That being said, he showed me a corkscrew serve and was really happy that I "got it" and how "good" it is. And it is a pretty good serve. But, it looks like side top and usually.....it is. [emoji2] Whereas, his, when you respond to it as if it was side top, because it really looks like that, the ball goes straight down and you can feel how heavy it is. It feels like your racket has been hit with a golf ball filled with lead.

Someone the same level as Mike will read the spin and know how to return it. But the purpose of the serve is to set up the third ball. And he knows what to do with the returns.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
yes, I used to that Feng Tianwei version , catching the ball at the bottom and going up producing a corkscrew that looks like top but it goes down primarily because people touch the wrong side or the nospin face of the ball ... third ball is definitely difficult , especially when you try to forehand loop it cross court , down the line is easier
Nah, Mike is an awesome guy. He wouldn't say the serve is good unless it was.

That being said, he showed me a corkscrew serve and was really happy that I "got it" and how "good" it is. And it is a pretty good serve. But, it looks like side top and usually.....it is. [emoji2] Whereas, his, when you respond to it as if it was side top, because it really looks like that, the ball goes straight down and you can feel how heavy it is. It feels like your racket has been hit with a golf ball filled with lead.

Someone the same level as Mike will read the spin and know how to return it. But the purpose of the serve is to set up the third ball. And he knows what to do with the returns.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, it sounds like a real corkscrew and if that is the case and Mike saw it, it would have impressed him. He told me that there are really not that many people who can do an actual corkscrew serve on command. Which is different than if it happens a bit by accident.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
IOS update should be available in a day or two. I should have mentioned it before.

That is what I am waiting for.

Brett, you should have seen the group PM convo we had when NextLevel said what Shuki just said:

update is FIAR keep up the great work!

I am a total retard with the meaning of things that are any more complicated than LOL.

So I asked what FIAR meant, not realizing it meant Fire.

The answers I got were pretty entertaining.

Here was one:

Forehand Improvement Accessory - Rambo !!!

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited: