Anyone have a sneak peak of Glayzer yet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hello everyone,
I got my Glayzer (the normal one) in 2.1mm on Friday and was able to test it for about 8-10 hours over the three days.
I tested it on two of the same blades (five-ply Butterfly Korbel), against the Tenergy 05 on the forehand and then against the Rozena on the backhand.

Here are my personal impressions, divided into two tests:

1) Glayzer 2.1mm -vs- Tenergy05 2.1 as forehand rubber

The Glayzer initially feels harder (pressure test and also when playing). The surface is a bit stickier than the T05, very slightly sticky but not particularly strong.

Topspins:
Opening with FH topspin on backspin is easier with the T05. Heavy backspin balls require more speed and effort with the Glayzer.
The T05 generates significantly more spin on topspins - this can be clearly seen when the ball bounces on the opponent's side, where the balls have a much higher bounce. Blocking opponent confirmed this.
When replaying with topspin against a block or topspin, the T05 is significantly faster and still generates more own spin. You have to go even further over the ball with the T05 so that the balls don't get too long. The Glayzer is a bit kinder here, the balls don't go as long and have significantly less spin and speed.

For ME as an uncompromising topspin player on the forehand, the T05 is clearly superior and offers more gears and possibilities - but is more sensitive.

Drives:
I haven't tested it extensively on the FH because it's not my game.
T05 is faster and a little less accurate and controlled here as well.
The Glayzer also feels a bit more direct/tighter here - you can place the balls a little better.
T05 maybe a bit more powerful and dangerous, but more control with the Glayzer.

Pushing:
For my taste, the T05 produces noticeably more backspin when pushing - the balls are more difficult to attack for the opponent.
The ball bounce is slightly higher with the T05 than with the Glayzer.
Pushing short (short-short game) is much easier with the Glayzer. In general, the balls are shorter with the Glayzer, a little better to control, but less spin.

Blocking:
When it comes to passive blocking, the Glayzer has a clear advantage. Only holding the blade leads to fewer mistakes, since the balls don't bounce as high and also come a little shorter - significantly less spin susceptibility.
In active counterplay (press block, counter topspin), I find the T05 stronger because it has more dynamic and gives your own ball more pressure and spin.

Services:
T05 produces significantly more spin and speed. Services with variations in spin or length are more unpleasant for the opponent to play back.
Short serves, spinless services work better with the Glayzer. Placement a little more accurate with the Glayzer.
Active returns of services much better for me with the T05 - it overrides the spin of the balls much better and gives more dynamic.
Passive returning is easier with the Glayzer. However, less spin is created.

------

2) Glayzer 1.9mm -vs- Rozena 1.9 as a backhand rubber

Glayzer feels harder/tighter than the Rozena. The surface of the Glayzer is significantly grippier and stickier.

topspins:
Opening on backspin is easier with the Glayzer. The bounce of the ball is higher than with the Rozena, the balls come with more curve and easier over the net. The Glayzer generates more spin than the Rozena. Speed and length are not very different - when playing actively, the Glayzer gives you more speed and pressure options.
Opponent had to close the racket more when blocking.
When replaying with topspin on block / topspin, the rubbers play quite similarly. Here, too, the Glayzer generates more spin, with the Rozena I was able to place a little better. In general, more balls end up in the net with the Rozena, with the Glayzer they are a little less controlled and sometimes get too long/fast.

Drives:
The Rozena plays safer, placement is more accurate than with the Glayzer.
The Glayzer has more dynamic and it is easier to generate pressure, but also a bit more inaccurate than the Rozena.

pushing:
Glayzer creates more spin, the opponent has to topspin softer. Pushing short or sensitively works better with the Rozena. Control & placement are slightly better with the Rozena.
The balls with the Glayzer are spinnier and more dangerous.
Ball bounce is significantly higher with the Glayzer than with the Rozena.

blocking:
When it comes to passive blocking, the differences aren't that big. Rozena has less curve and the balls don't bounce as high.
Glayzer is slightly more sensitive to spin, the balls bounce a little higher or longer.
With both rubbers you can block well and safely, the Glayzer offers you the possibility to block more dynamically and with more pressure if you can or want to.
Active blocking is the same. Glayzer creates more dynamic again, but you have to be more careful and play more precisely than with the Rozena.

Services:
Glayzer generates more spin than the Rozena. Rozena plays more precisely and flatter.
When returning, the Glayzer is more sensitive to spin and requires more sensitivity.
Active returning is more demanding with the Glayzer, since it has more dynamic and sensitivity, but it also overwrites the spin significantly better than the Rozena. Good active returns are more dangerous with the Glayzer.

-------

I hope the impressions described can be of some help.
I don't want to draw a conclusion yet because there weren't enough games under pressure.
But to me it feels like the Glayzer sits squarely between the Rozena and the Tenergy05 in just about every category.

For those who think the T05 is too much of a good thing and the Rozena is not enough, this may be an interesting rubber.
For me as an active offensive player I don't think it's the right one for my more active side, a T05 has more dynamic and possibilities.
On the more passive side, it's interesting for me - but I still have to test it a lot more to see if it's too much in terms of safety.
Since my more passive side is the backhand, I would consider it as a replacement for the Rozena, if only as a backhand rubber, since it's great that openings on backspin and spin play are simply better.

In general, I would also like to emphasize that there really aren't any HUGE differences between the rubbers.
You can feel that these are butterfly rubbers with a similar feel and characteristics!
Great review - thanks for taking the time.

I have two sheets of Glayzer on the way and will be trying it vs my current go to of Rozena. I too love T05 but just find that I am not quite consistent enough to use it in matches and benefit from the safer set up of Rozena on both sides (I plan to go back to it once my strokes are better developed)

Maybe Glayzer will be a nice middle ground.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Right, but glayzer uses dignics tech right? That should be more advanced than Tenergy tech?
Oh, you've been "conditioned" by ESN. That line of thought is what the Tensor brands, especially the German ones, want to sell you to drive sales.

Not with Butterfly. Tenergy and Dignics are the industry standard in grippy rubber, like it or not. Tenergy is the previous flagship. Dignics is the current flagship. Rozena is the previous mid-range. Glayzer is the current mid-range.

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/product/glayzer/learn.html
レベルアップに応じてラバーの選択を変えよう

「『グレイザー』と『グレイザー09C』。どちらを使えば良いのだろう」「『グレイザー』シリーズの次に使ったら良いラバーはなんだろう」。さまざまなプレーヤーの皆さんにとって参考となる、ラバー移行モデルをご紹介します。

現在『ロゼナ』やその他のハイテンションラバーを使用していて、次のステップを考えている選手は、グレイザー シリーズが良い選択肢となります。

今後も『ロゼナ』のような非粘着性ラバーを使おうと考えている場合、『グレイザー』がおすすめです。グレイザーを使いこなせるようになったら、ディグニクス05、80、64やテナジー シリーズに移行するとレベルアップに応じた用具変更となります。ディグニクスとテナジーは打球感の好みや求める性能に応じて選ぶと良いでしょう。

一方、粘着性ハイテンションラバーの使用を検討している場合、『グレイザー09C』は導入のラバーとしてお勧めです。いずれはディグニクス09Cへの移行を想定すると良いでしょう。

現在テナジーやディグニクスの各シリーズを使用していて、性能に満足している中〜上級のプレーヤーの皆さんには、引き続き同シリーズの使用をお勧めします。
Change your rubber selection as you level up

"'Glayzer' and 'Glayzer 09C'. Which one to use?" "Which one to use after Glayzer series?" Let us introduce a rubber transition model that can be used as a reference for various players.

Players currently using Rozena or other high-tensioned rubbers and looking to take the next step will find the Glayzer series a good choice.

If you are planning to use non-tacky rubber like "Rozena" in the future, we recommend "Glayzer". Once you have mastered Glayzer, you can switch to Dignics 05, 80, 64 or the Tenergy series and change equipment as you level up. Dignics and Tenergy should be selected according to your preference for feel at impact and desired performance.

On the other hand, if you are considering using a tacky high-tensioned rubber, "Grayzer 09C" is recommended as an introduction rubber. It is a good idea to assume a transition to Dignics 09C at some point.

If you are currently using the Tenergy or Dignics series and are satisfied with the performance, we recommend that you continue to use the series.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
The same idea applies to DHS. Hurricane is the industry standard in tacky rubber. What's so special about it, despite being decades old now?

One aspect of H3 that is often overlooked in the West is the keyword "贼". The closest English equivalent I can think of is tricky, or 癖/quirky as described by Table Tennis Kingdom.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...65&title=chinese-loop-with-euro-rubber#823265
Other than patriotism and imitation, the primary reason Chinese rubber, the Hurricane series in particular, is the first choice of FH rubber in China is due to the tricky trajectories it is capable of producing on hard shots that make it very difficult to return. This is in contrast to Japanese and European rubbers which are said to produce ordinary trajectories.

https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/4859
69SHmJM.jpg

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hello everyone,
I got my Glayzer (the normal one) in 2.1mm on Friday and was able to test it for about 8-10 hours over the three days.
I tested it on two of the same blades (five-ply Butterfly Korbel), against the Tenergy 05 on the forehand and then against the Rozena on the backhand.

Here are my personal impressions, divided into two tests:

1) Glayzer 2.1mm -vs- Tenergy05 2.1 as forehand rubber

The Glayzer initially feels harder (pressure test and also when playing). The surface is a bit stickier than the T05, very slightly sticky but not particularly strong.

Topspins:
Opening with FH topspin on backspin is easier with the T05. Heavy backspin balls require more speed and effort with the Glayzer.
The T05 generates significantly more spin on topspins - this can be clearly seen when the ball bounces on the opponent's side, where the balls have a much higher bounce. Blocking opponent confirmed this.
When replaying with topspin against a block or topspin, the T05 is significantly faster and still generates more own spin. You have to go even further over the ball with the T05 so that the balls don't get too long. The Glayzer is a bit kinder here, the balls don't go as long and have significantly less spin and speed.

For ME as an uncompromising topspin player on the forehand, the T05 is clearly superior and offers more gears and possibilities - but is more sensitive.

Drives:
I haven't tested it extensively on the FH because it's not my game.
T05 is faster and a little less accurate and controlled here as well.
The Glayzer also feels a bit more direct/tighter here - you can place the balls a little better.
T05 maybe a bit more powerful and dangerous, but more control with the Glayzer.

Pushing:
For my taste, the T05 produces noticeably more backspin when pushing - the balls are more difficult to attack for the opponent.
The ball bounce is slightly higher with the T05 than with the Glayzer.
Pushing short (short-short game) is much easier with the Glayzer. In general, the balls are shorter with the Glayzer, a little better to control, but less spin.

Blocking:
When it comes to passive blocking, the Glayzer has a clear advantage. Only holding the blade leads to fewer mistakes, since the balls don't bounce as high and also come a little shorter - significantly less spin susceptibility.
In active counterplay (press block, counter topspin), I find the T05 stronger because it has more dynamic and gives your own ball more pressure and spin.

Services:
T05 produces significantly more spin and speed. Services with variations in spin or length are more unpleasant for the opponent to play back.
Short serves, spinless services work better with the Glayzer. Placement a little more accurate with the Glayzer.
Active returns of services much better for me with the T05 - it overrides the spin of the balls much better and gives more dynamic.
Passive returning is easier with the Glayzer. However, less spin is created.

------

2) Glayzer 1.9mm -vs- Rozena 1.9 as a backhand rubber

Glayzer feels harder/tighter than the Rozena. The surface of the Glayzer is significantly grippier and stickier.

topspins:
Opening on backspin is easier with the Glayzer. The bounce of the ball is higher than with the Rozena, the balls come with more curve and easier over the net. The Glayzer generates more spin than the Rozena. Speed and length are not very different - when playing actively, the Glayzer gives you more speed and pressure options.
Opponent had to close the racket more when blocking.
When replaying with topspin on block / topspin, the rubbers play quite similarly. Here, too, the Glayzer generates more spin, with the Rozena I was able to place a little better. In general, more balls end up in the net with the Rozena, with the Glayzer they are a little less controlled and sometimes get too long/fast.

Drives:
The Rozena plays safer, placement is more accurate than with the Glayzer.
The Glayzer has more dynamic and it is easier to generate pressure, but also a bit more inaccurate than the Rozena.

pushing:
Glayzer creates more spin, the opponent has to topspin softer. Pushing short or sensitively works better with the Rozena. Control & placement are slightly better with the Rozena.
The balls with the Glayzer are spinnier and more dangerous.
Ball bounce is significantly higher with the Glayzer than with the Rozena.

blocking:
When it comes to passive blocking, the differences aren't that big. Rozena has less curve and the balls don't bounce as high.
Glayzer is slightly more sensitive to spin, the balls bounce a little higher or longer.
With both rubbers you can block well and safely, the Glayzer offers you the possibility to block more dynamically and with more pressure if you can or want to.
Active blocking is the same. Glayzer creates more dynamic again, but you have to be more careful and play more precisely than with the Rozena.

Services:
Glayzer generates more spin than the Rozena. Rozena plays more precisely and flatter.
When returning, the Glayzer is more sensitive to spin and requires more sensitivity.
Active returning is more demanding with the Glayzer, since it has more dynamic and sensitivity, but it also overwrites the spin significantly better than the Rozena. Good active returns are more dangerous with the Glayzer.

-------

I hope the impressions described can be of some help.
I don't want to draw a conclusion yet because there weren't enough games under pressure.
But to me it feels like the Glayzer sits squarely between the Rozena and the Tenergy05 in just about every category.

For those who think the T05 is too much of a good thing and the Rozena is not enough, this may be an interesting rubber.
For me as an active offensive player I don't think it's the right one for my more active side, a T05 has more dynamic and possibilities.
On the more passive side, it's interesting for me - but I still have to test it a lot more to see if it's too much in terms of safety.
Since my more passive side is the backhand, I would consider it as a replacement for the Rozena, if only as a backhand rubber, since it's great that openings on backspin and spin play are simply better.

In general, I would also like to emphasize that there really aren't any HUGE differences between the rubbers.
You can feel that these are butterfly rubbers with a similar feel and characteristics!
Thanks!

This is exactly what I expect.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
On Butterfly rubber matrix, glayzer has lower speed than both Tenergy and Rozena. Why would this be if Glayzer is both newer and has harder sponge?
Logically manufacturers don't always try to produce better, faster, spinnier rubbers, they also produce rubbers for the masses rather than just advanced players... Anything coming out after Tenergy doesn't mean it's going to be "better".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If they already have the Spring Sponge X technology developed, what did they do with Glayzer to make it cheaper and worse? For example, do they skip certain chemicals to reduce the cost and reduce the performance?

Why not just use the same Dignics formula but with much less QC to produce a cheaper "Glayzer". I would prefer this product than for BTY to purposely try to reduce the performance. Kinda like how DHS has commercial, provincial, national rubbers and DJ40 vs D40 balls.

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
If they already have the Spring Sponge X technology developed, what did they do with Glayzer to make it cheaper and worse? For example, do they skip certain chemicals to reduce the cost and reduce the performance?

Why not just use the same Dignics formula but with much less QC to produce a cheaper "Glayzer". I would prefer this product than for BTY to purposely try to reduce the performance. Kinda like how DHS has commercial, provincial, national rubbers and DJ40 vs D40 balls.
we players would really love a cheaper softer dignics with similar performance but to be frank, that would be a really terrible move for business

i dont think TT brands outside of china should emulate the commercial-provincial-national model

butterfly is known for quality products and they're japanese brand so i dont think they should reduce QC, or would for that matter

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
we players would really love a cheaper softer dignics with similar performance but to be frank, that would be a really terrible move for business

i dont think TT brands outside of china should emulate the commercial-provincial-national model

butterfly is known for quality products and they're japanese brand so i dont think they should reduce QC, or would for that matter
I agree 100% - reducing quality of production generally is a really bad idea. For me I expect quality & reliability from Butterfly at all times and not to get this would damage my perception of the brand.

I am not sure why there is this fixation (Tensor..) on matching the performance of Dignics, or even Tenergy when new rubber comes out - the vast majority of us don't need it and probably can't use it effectively. To have access to a rubber like Glayzer or Rozena, that feels similar but is better matched to my skill level is great - just what I am looking for.

For me, they have the product strategy right.

Jan 2018
Goblins TV just posted a "serious" review of Glayzer at 2.1 mm, saying the one they tested was a sample at 1.9 mm. They conclude that the two thicknesses are totally different, with Glayzer easily outperforming Rozena.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Great review - thanks for taking the time.

I have two sheets of Glayzer on the way and will be trying it vs my current go to of Rozena. I too love T05 but just find that I am not quite consistent enough to use it in matches and benefit from the safer set up of Rozena on both sides (I plan to go back to it once my strokes are better developed)

Maybe Glayzer will be a nice middle ground.
Look forward to hear what you think

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Had a brief 1.5hr shakedown of Glayzer 1.9 red and G09C 2.1 black yesterday. I wasn't terribly impressed with the vanilla Glayzer, seeing the video Zeio posted I might have screwed up getting it in 1.9 instead of 2.1, but I definitely need to play with it more. Maybe it'll loosen up with more play but it felt a bit lackluster and not so grippy, as opposed to the G09C which right off the bat felt grabbier with a meaty impact and a safer arc. From my brief testing so far I preferred the 09C on both sides for all purposes, outside of smashing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
It's not impossible that here the official price of Rozena and Aibiss is higher than it should be.
Anyways I have never ever seen anyone here play with Rozena besides myself. Tenergy and Dignics are very common, especially Tenergy but nothing else from BTY. Bryce, Roundell... nothing.

Actually I never thought Rozena is overpriced compared to the Rasanters etc...

This time around I was a bit smart or less dumb (can't be sure about this one) and I ordered a red sheet of Glayzer 09c and a black sheet of Glayzer. Sticky rubbers wear more ugly in black, somehow the red color disguises the wear on them more. And I intend to use the 09c on FH where it will wear more.

With ESN pricings going up recently I would call it a win if the Glayzer would match MX-P and G09c would match Rakza Z or H8-80. And one might say well that's not a big win but think again BTY rubbers are light how much would you spend for 5-6g of weight loss and no shrinking and curling?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
630861BA-F089-4818-9D7B-3C01626C2594.jpeg

364253DD-A285-448A-93A7-D79547B44B50.jpeg

Sheets arrived today.
G09C - 71 grams uncut, 48 grams cut
Glazer - 69 grams uncut, 46 grams cut
racket total weight 186 grams.
image.jpg
G09C slightly tacky, barely lifts a ball, similar to D09C
Glazer completely non tacky.
Did a quick bounce test, a protective film is on the sheet of G09C, so I did the 1st test with the protective sheet on both rubbers, ball bounced the same for both versions.
With the sheet removed the regular Glazer had a slightly reduced bounce compared with having the sheet on. (the grippy top sheet stopped the ball bouncing for as long)
G09C bounce was reduced by roughly 40 to 50% without the film on. Tacky top sheet has a much more pronounced effect. (even though it’s barely tacky!!)

Haven’t had a chance to play with them yet, gonna give them a run out tomorrow evening.
The blade is a SDC 5 ply Primorac clone, so it’s a faster blade than the 7+2 SDC defence blades I usually use.

As you would expect from Butterfly, both rubbers look like they are a quality product, they cut very nicely after gluing.

Looking forward to trying them!!!

Aug 2019
With ESN pricings going up recently I would call it a win if the Glayzer would match MX-P and G09c would match Rakza Z or H8-80. And one might say well that's not a big win but think again BTY rubbers are light how much would you spend for 5-6g of weight loss and no shrinking and curling?
i would splurge a decent amount of dollars for glayzer solely for its durability alone

like man, if it lasts as long as dignics at such a price then its a keeper!

Reactions: jammmail
Jan 2018

Another "serious" review of Glayzer 09C at 2.1mm instead of 1.9mm in the previous review.

Jun-chan (in panda shirt) got the illusion that Glayzer 09C played better, but after side-by-side comparison, thinks that Ransanter C48 plays better.

Yanma (in orange shirt) disagrees that it was illusion and actually likes Glayzer 09C.

Reactions: longle and Dream2K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
G09c already looking faster and more dangerous than C48 on backhand... This doesn't look very good for ESN since C48 is more expensive even with discounts.
What is G09c hardness on ESN scale?
My impression was that it is slightly softer than Dignics, which is 55. So is G09c like 53 or 52?